The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Then Play On (remastered) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52467)

sharksfan2000 08-23-2013 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info, Vinnie and GJK! Good to hear that those 15 seconds have been restored.

I do like the full jams from The Vaudeville Years, but the final version of "Underway" (or "Under Way" ;) ) features such a different mix from what's on the full jam that it changes the piece a lot IMHO. Most notably to me, Danny's guitar is mixed lower in the final version.

doodyhead 08-23-2013 02:30 PM

You did understand

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJK (Post 1100933)
'Underway', now spelled 'Under Way', is indeed a bit longer but ends rather abruptly, in the middle of a drum roll by Mick...

'October Jam #1 & 2' are completely other jams than the Madge jams but maybe I am misunderstanding you.

The dead fans obviously won't bother, but Dead fans might.

GJK

I think that #2 is the one that searching for madge and fighting for madge are derived.
My impression was that someone had a mixing field day.
I could argue for #1 and underway too. Is martin Birch still alive? or did peter do it?

wetcamelfood 08-23-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJK (Post 1100933)
'Underway', now spelled 'Under Way', is indeed a bit longer but ends rather abruptly, in the middle of a drum roll by Mick...

Agreed. It almost sounds like they didn't fade it. I guess I just expected more of a fade like what we got on the shorter Underway.

John

KarmaContestant 08-23-2013 05:46 PM

A question... Bear in mind, the entire pre-Nicks era of Fleetwood Mac is pretty much foreign to me, although I'm familiar with a few songs, and know some of the history.

I'm listening to this new reissue of Then Play On, and in the booklet there is a write-up by David Fricke of Rolling Stone in it, and he says in the third paragraph "Then Play On was Fleetwood Mac's third studio album - and the only LP made in that lineup's supernova lifetime."

Who was new to this lineup, and thus I presume, only appeared on this album before departing?

Or was something else meant by that statement?

This is a great album so far. I'm only to Underway/Under Way (whichever is correct), and each track has been great except for When You Say, which I really didn't care for.

Johnny Stew 08-23-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaContestant (Post 1100967)
A question...

I'm glad you're enjoying it! It's one of my favorite Mac albums. Funny that you didn't care for "When You Say" either, as that seems to be many fans' least favorite from 'TPO.'

To answer your question -- it was the first studio album that Danny Kirwan appeared on, and the last with Peter Green.

Rhino did a fantastic job with the remastering. I'm really thrilled with how much better it sounds than the original CD.

doodyhead 08-23-2013 06:45 PM

third lineup

the two singles which preceded this also had this lineup

Man of the World
and Albatross

Murrow 08-24-2013 07:25 AM

Yeah it's fab. You do feel the live rawness of the tracks more - especially on Coming Your Way and some of the more depressive Greenie songs.

TheGreenBlues 08-24-2013 11:05 AM

I defiantly need to pick this up soon after reading the positive reviews of it.

LesPaul7 08-25-2013 07:15 PM

This is my favorite album so I feel obliged to post my thoughts about the new re-master. The sound is much more full and the EQ sounds great. There is still hiss, which to me means the master tapes have been neglected (obviously). There is definitely sonic improvement and I am very happy with the definitive version of this classic album.

This album flows like a storybook in this form.

LesPaul7 08-25-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 1100960)
Agreed. It almost sounds like they didn't fade it. I guess I just expected more of a fade like what we got on the shorter Underway.

John

On the original record it goes straight into One Sunny Day without skipping a beat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodyhead (Post 1100955)
I think that #2 is the one that searching for madge and fighting for madge are derived.
My impression was that someone had a mixing field day.
I could argue for #1 and underway too. Is martin Birch still alive? or did peter do it?

Birch and Green did a lot of live panning/mixing on the original album, which is still preserved.

The October Jams were recordings done after Then Play On was released. Underway was one jam, Madge was another. Both are on The Vaudeville Years without the Then Play On mix down.

doodyhead 08-26-2013 03:07 PM

October Jam after Then Play On release

If this is true, then there maybe yet more audio in someones vault out there from then play on.

Wouter Vuijk 08-26-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 1100469)
My father grew up in Arnhem and we still have family there! They used to send us Pussycat and BZN records...

My cousin was producer of Pusssycat, including their hitsingle "Mississippi" :cool:

GJK 08-27-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk (Post 1101167)
My cousin was producer of Pussycat, including their hitsingle "Mississippi" :cool:

Dat hest mie noeit verteld!

GJK

Wouter Vuijk 08-27-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJK (Post 1101215)
Dat hest mie noeit verteld!

GJK

Check your e-mail!;)

becca 08-27-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk (Post 1101167)
My cousin was producer of Pusssycat, including their hitsingle "Mississippi" :cool:

Eddy Hilberts? Those 1970s LPs sound good, while they had a full band. Eddy also wrote and arranged 'Nothing To Hide' from Souvenirs.

My old Pussycat web page: http://www.oocities.org/rebjan_ca/pussycat.html

:wavey: