The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Christine McVie & In the meantime Remastered (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59985)

Street_Dreamer 07-12-2023 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1285875)
But I shiver at the thought of what they did on the Songbird release, so they better not tinker with the arrangements like that.

Me too but seeing as it's the actual album and not a compilation gives me hope.

SteveMacD 07-12-2023 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer (Post 1285880)
Me too but seeing as it's the actual album and not a compilation gives me hope.

Also, Dan Perfect is involved.

aleuzzi 07-13-2023 11:03 AM

You can hear the new mixes on Apple Music (thanks for the tip Jbrownsjr).

To be clear, if this is the album we got in 2004, we’d have loved it as much as the one we did get. But it isn’t, so when you listen, there’s a certain amount of adjustment. Anything Is Possible and Forgiveness sound very cool. Not necessarily better than the originals but equally as good. Friend may actually be better, not yet sure. Sweet Revenge definitely is better. But Bad Journey and Liar do not come off as well—at least to my ears.

Overall, I’m glad to have this and will listen to it ALONGSIDE the original. But it doesn’t supersede it.

Karlie 07-13-2023 01:00 PM

It’s up on Spotify as well. I was surprised at how different these versions sounded to me from the originals - usually I can’t tell the difference when a remaster comes out. But that could be because I’d been listening to the original on repeat all last week so it was fresh in my mind.

I absolutely love these remasters. Something about her voice sounds sweeter, more vulnerable, and more real, like she’s singing right there in the room with you. It seems like they used entirely different vocal tracks on some songs. I can also hear more of her keyboard parts in several songs, which is something I felt was lacking on the original.

My favorite change is that the “sexy man” line was removed from Little Darlin/Come Out To Play - might have been the most cringey lyric in any of her songs ever.

jbrownsjr 07-13-2023 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlie (Post 1285903)
It’s up on Spotify as well. I was surprised at how different these versions sounded to me from the originals - usually I can’t tell the difference when a remaster comes out. But that could be because I’d been listening to the original on repeat all last week so it was fresh in my mind.

I absolutely love these remasters. Something about her voice sounds sweeter, more vulnerable, and more real, like she’s singing right there in the room with you. It seems like they used entirely different vocal tracks on some songs. I can also hear more of her keyboard parts in several songs, which is something I felt was lacking on the original.

My favorite change is that the “sexy man” line was removed from Little Darlin/Come Out To Play - might have been the most cringey lyric in any of her songs ever.

These are definitely re-mixed as well as re-mastered. I know what you mean when you can't tell the difference in a re-Master. Unless, I use headphnes and compare right both versions.

BLY 07-13-2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1285907)
These are definitely re-mixed as well as re-mastered. I know what you mean when you can't tell the difference in a re-Master. Unless, I use headphnes and compare right both versions.

I just listened to Sweet Revenge. A very different mix and vocal.

aleuzzi 07-13-2023 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1285911)
I just listened to Sweet Revenge. A very different mix and vocal.

That’s one of the improved songs here, imo.

Street_Dreamer 07-14-2023 01:16 AM

Listening to Friend now and there's a noticeable difference between this new mix and the original. I think it sounds better.

Street_Dreamer 07-14-2023 01:40 AM

Halfway through listening now and I'm really loving this release and I'm seeing why there is a different album cover. There's enough difference in the songs that it's completely different from the original. It's almost like this is how the album might have originally been released but they decided to go with the tracks that we've already known and listened to for years. Similar to the alternate mixes we've got from the deluxe Fleetwood Mac releases.

DownOnRodeo 07-14-2023 06:10 AM

Rather distraught listening to these tracks with Christine's vocals so crisp and close, as though she recorded them yesterday...
(Why is there no weeping emoji here.)

Not sure about the remixes yet. They sound very "simplified" compared to the album tracks I'm so used to. I like the enhanced isolation/focus on Christine's voice, considering in what top form she was in on these songs. They've really put the spotlight on Chris' backing vocals as well, and the keyboards on Friend are fantastic, reminiscent of YMLF.
And when the instrumentation mix does get brought forward at certain points (eg the instrumental bridge on Sweet Revenge), it really pops.

I'm listening on headphones. If this is an Atmos mix, I suppose it will sound quite different (and better) when I listen on speakers?

WatchChain 07-16-2023 01:22 PM

I might have missed this.

Has Rhino Records announced a release date for the remastered re-release of Christine McVie's 1984 self-titled album on Warner Bros. Records?

I don't think there are many unreleased B-sides from the 1984 sessions, so I'm assuming that Rhino will just add some live tracks from the '84 tour and "I Can't Help Falling in Love" from the soundtrack of "A Fine Mess".

For me, this album is superior to "In the Meantime" - so I'm looking forward to the Rhino redux.

jbrownsjr 07-16-2023 06:40 PM

These vocals on "You Are" (re-mastered 2023) are phenomenal. This song is so charming.

Street_Dreamer 07-16-2023 10:08 PM

Scheduled release date for both currently is November 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1285980)
I might have missed this.

Has Rhino Records announced a release date for the remastered re-release of Christine McVie's 1984 self-titled album on Warner Bros. Records?

I don't think there are many unreleased B-sides from the 1984 sessions, so I'm assuming that Rhino will just add some live tracks from the '84 tour and "I Can't Help Falling in Love" from the soundtrack of "A Fine Mess".

For me, this album is superior to "In the Meantime" - so I'm looking forward to the Rhino redux.

bombaysaffires 07-17-2023 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlie (Post 1285903)

Yes! Although the "sister and brother" is a bit cringey also.... but a bit less so once the "sexy man" line is taken out. The combo of the two together was always :distress:

blinker12 07-18-2023 02:39 PM

Enjoyed the remasters!

Two observations: I noticed that the electric guitar riff was minimized on "Northern Star," just as it was for the "Songbird" collection. I wonder why - I like that riff.

AND, my biggest pet peeve with this whole album was not fixed! It's in "Sweet Revenge," one of my favorite tracks. In the instrumental break, in the part where the background singers sing, "Trapped!," and Christine sings "just a little...," at the end of "little" you can hear the beginning of a "j" sound, as if they sloppily truncated a take where she continued with the line "Johnny says come around if you dare." I know it's minute, but it's always bugged me that that's there. :laugh: Shouldn't be too hard to edit that out.

Agree with the poster who said it's so bittersweet to hear her voice so upfront and clear.