The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Which album outside of the Rumours lineup had the best Christine songs? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53629)

jbrownsjr 05-07-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldustsongbird (Post 1129039)
It came down to these two for me. I have to go with Mystery, for the sublime Why.

One of the best album closers ever.

aleuzzi 05-07-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1128881)
Maybe I'll run a poll for Christine's best keyboard work next, then!;) Got to admit I love her simple, evocative piano on Love that Burns. I could listen to that track endlessly- and she's on fire on Lazy Poker Blues.

Thanks for everyone's responses. All very civilised.

Her piano work on Green's Mr. Wonderful tunes is outstanding. Love, love, love "Rolling Man" and her control on that tune is one of the many reasons I do.

Villavic 01-10-2024 08:56 AM

Checking all threads I found this (still open) poll. At first I wanted to vote for Time, cause though it's not a favorite album to me, I do like Christine songs in Time. But it wouldn't be fair until I review all Christine songs from early years.

Kind of hard to choose, but MtM songs are very good, maybe the best, though I also like a lot Christine Bare Trees songs.

Mr Scarrott 01-10-2024 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1291245)
Checking all threads I found this (still open) poll. At first I wanted to vote for Time, cause though it's not a favorite album to me, I do like Christine songs in Time. But it wouldn't be fair until I review all Christine songs from early years.

Kind of hard to choose, but MtM songs are very good, maybe the best, though I also like a lot Christine Bare Trees songs.

Aw, thanks for bringing my poll back from the undead, Villavic. I suppose adding Lindsey Buckingham/ChristineMcvie to the options would kind of make sense, even if technically (sniff..) it's not(takes cover...) an FM ralbum(sobs in a pile of tears...)

FuzzyPlum 01-10-2024 05:06 PM

Just voted. Like a number of others have said….it comes down to MTM and HAHTF. Though I think overall MTM is the better album, I think her 4 songs on HAHTF are consistently the best overall and just about edge it.

WalkAThinLine. 01-10-2024 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1291278)
Just voted. Like a number of others have said….it comes down to MTM and HAHTF. Though he honk overall MTM is the better album, I think her 4 songs on HAHTF are consistently the best overall and just about edge it.

Of all the Welch era albums, Heroes are Hard to Find might be my least favorite, but McVie's contributions are absolutely stellar, particularly "Come a Little Bit Closer" and "Prove Your Love"

Macfan4life 01-11-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. (Post 1291282)
Of all the Welch era albums, Heroes are Hard to Find might be my least favorite, but McVie's contributions are absolutely stellar, particularly "Come a Little Bit Closer" and "Prove Your Love"

You are so correct. Why is her best song. Mystery is the best Welch album but Chris's contributions to Heroes are definitely stellar.
The decision is do the 4 excellent songs override the best Mac song ever?

FuzzyPlum 01-11-2024 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1291297)
You are so correct. Why is her best song. Mystery is the best Welch album but Chris's contributions to Heroes are definitely stellar.
The decision is do the 4 excellent songs override the best Mac song ever?

Is it? It might well be. I’m sure there’s a poll somewhere.
I’d posit….
Why?
Man of the World
Go Your Own Way
The Chain
Landslide
Sara

Not sure there’s really anything outside those.
But I think maybe Why would get my vote.

nicepace 01-11-2024 04:23 PM

I don't visit this board all that often any more. With Christine gone, well, you know. (Sniff.)

But then once in a while, out pops a ten year old thread that just soothes me with a wave of nostalgia.

I have to say if I were going to answer this question on sheer quality of material, I'd go with Bare Trees, with just two songs. Just about everyone puts "Spare Me a Little of Your Love" high up on their list of favorite Christine songs, but personally I will never stop advocating for "Homeward Bound" belonging up there, too. Super piano work, a real rock feel, a more aggressive vocal than you usually get from Chris, and a song that's not about love for a man (for once) but about love for home. In a lot of ways it stands alone in her catalog. Great guitar work, too.

dougl 01-14-2024 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1291309)

I have to say if I were going to answer this question on sheer quality of material, I'd go with Bare Trees, with just two songs. Just about everyone puts "Spare Me a Little of Your Love" high up on their list of favorite Christine songs, but personally I will never stop advocating for "Homeward Bound" belonging up there, too. Super piano work, a real rock feel, a more aggressive vocal than you usually get from Chris, and a song that's not about love for a man (for once) but about love for home. In a lot of ways it stands alone in her catalog. Great guitar work, too.

The live version of “Homeward Bound” on the remastered version of Bare Trees from the 1971-1974 box set is amazing!

jbrownsjr 01-16-2024 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1129123)
Her piano work on Green's Mr. Wonderful tunes is outstanding. Love, love, love "Rolling Man" and her control on that tune is one of the many reasons I do.

It sounds like Chicken Shack! Forgot how good this is! !

aleuzzi 01-16-2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1291424)
It sounds like Chicken Shack! Forgot how good this is! !

Yes, she helped invent the sound of the core trio before she even officially joined.

aleuzzi 01-16-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougl (Post 1291389)
The live version of “Homeward Bound” on the remastered version of Bare Trees from the 1971-1974 box set is amazing!

It’s unbelievably good, isn’t it? Danny’s guitar is blistering and Christine’s voice there is so much more assured and cool than the album version.

aleuzzi 01-16-2024 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicepace (Post 1291309)
I don't visit this board all that often any more. With Christine gone, well, you know. (Sniff.)

But then once in a while, out pops a ten year old thread that just soothes me with a wave of nostalgia.

The instrumentation is impressive—searing guitar; crisp effective piano parts; very groovy organ layered over that, too. The backing track sounds a lot like Janice’s Full Tilt Boogie Band.