The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Article re: Buckingham open to return to FM (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60256)

SteveMacD 02-08-2024 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcrazylove (Post 1292154)
This right here, is a FANTASTIC insult. I will be using it in the future.

Poor Homer :distress:

HomerMcvie 02-08-2024 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1292156)
Poor Homer :distress:

What did I do now?

SteveMacD 02-08-2024 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292157)
What did I do now?

Something. I have no idea what, but something.

jbrownsjr 02-08-2024 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292157)
What did I do now?

I forgive you, and the spell that you cast.

BigAl84 02-08-2024 11:26 AM

I think the "No finger pointing" comment really reeks of not wanting to get in any additional spats with team Azoff. Sadly, I bet there's been a fair amount of bridges burned/blacklisting that Azoff made sure happened as a result of the fallout. It sounded like he didn't like Lindsey in the first place, before the feud.

SteveMacD 02-08-2024 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292167)
It sounded like he didn't like Lindsey in the first place, before the feud.

I wonder why that is?

HomerMcvie 02-08-2024 11:39 AM

Quote:

I think the "No finger pointing" comment really reeks of not wanting to get in any additional spats with team Azoff. Sadly, I bet there's been a fair amount of bridges burned/blacklisting that Azoff made sure happened as a result of the fallout. It sounded like he didn't like Lindsey in the first place, before the feud.

Irving knows that's Old Goatsy is a bigger cash cow. It probably just boils down to that. All Irving cares about is money.

jbrownsjr 02-08-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292169)
Irving knows that's Old Goatsy is a bigger cash cow. It probably just boils down to that. All Irving cares about is money.

Exactly, if he found a way to make more $$$ from Buck, (more than Goat) the opposite would have happened and Christine would be like:

"I love Stevie, but we are a much better band now." {There I said it Mick, now give me my $25 mil.}

SteveMacD 02-08-2024 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292169)

The ironic part about “Free Fallin’” being in the setlist is that Irving rejected Full Moon Fever when he was heading up MCA Records because he “didn’t hear a hit.”

jbrownsjr 02-08-2024 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1292173)
The ironic part about “Free Fallin’” being in the setlist is that Irving rejected Full Moon Fever when he was heading up MCA Records because he “didn’t hear a hit.”

I can't stand that song, tbh. I would have rejected it, too.

BigAl84 02-08-2024 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1292168)
I wonder why that is?

Because Lindsey wasn't a "yes man" to the Nicks posse?

aleuzzi 02-08-2024 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292174)

Agreed. It's cloying. Or maybe grating. Who knows? I hate it.

bombaysaffires 02-08-2024 01:25 PM

Quote:

I never, ever understood that whole situation. It feels like Lindsey felt like maybe if he aligned himself with the devil he'd reap better rewards... but all he did was let the devil in where he could do more damage. How Lindsey thought he was somehow being smart by making Irving his manager is really a sad commentary on Lindsey's ability to judge someone's character.

jbrownsjr 02-08-2024 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1292177)
Agreed. It's cloying. Or maybe grating. Who knows? I hate it.

I do love, I Will Run To You.

aleuzzi 02-08-2024 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292180)
I do love, I Will Run To You.

I like a lot of TP compositions and performances. Just hate Free Falling...

BigAl84 02-08-2024 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1292179)
I never, ever understood that whole situation. It feels like Lindsey felt like maybe if he aligned himself with the devil he'd reap better rewards... but all he did was let the devil in where he could do more damage. How Lindsey thought he was somehow being smart by making Irving his manager is really a sad commentary on Lindsey's ability to judge someone's character.

Yeah I never understood that either. I don't remember, was Irving already managing Stevie when Lindsey came onboard? If so, that's insane that he thought that was a good idea. Maybe he thought it would be easier to navigate Fleetwood Mac projects if Irving managed both of them and it was all under one roof?

I can only conclude that the majority of conversations leading up to Lindsey moving over to Irving must have taken place with Irving's staff and not Irving himself. His staff must of blown a lot of smoke up his a** and somehow convinced him Irving was the right fit. What was Irving's angle!? It's pretty clear that Lindsey's solo work was never as commercial, what's in it for him? Complete business control over Fleetwood Mac I suppose.

HomerMcvie 02-08-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1292181)
I like a lot of TP compositions and performances. Just hate Free Falling...

Here Comes The Girl is my favorite.

Or is it Here Comes The Dude?

Tom wasn't The Great Enunciator(er?)...

SteveMacD 02-08-2024 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292174)

It also had “Runnin’ Down A Dream,” “I Won’t Back Down,” and “Yer So Bad” and went on to sell five million copies.

Macfan4life 02-09-2024 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1292185)
It also had “Runnin’ Down A Dream,” “I Won’t Back Down,” and “Yer So Bad” and went on to sell five million copies.

Yes it was one of the biggest albums that year. People did not want to buy into a Tom Petty solo album.....like why is this happening since he is the lead singer of the Heartbreakers. Stevie's friends Tom Petty and Don Henley had a HUGE year in 1989. The biggest of their careers. Don even won a Grammy. Yet Stevie released a dud. There was a time her stuff smoked their stuff on the charts. Full Moon Fever and The End of The Innocence both sold 6 million copies in 1989. Stevie's OSOTM sold 500k copies in 1989. It sold more and would eventually go platinum many years later.

Stevie does Petty songs in concert but I think the one that fits her best is Change of Heart. I can imagine her singing that. Its such a better groove than I Need To Know.

bwboy 02-09-2024 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292175)
Because Lindsey wasn't a "yes man" to the Nicks posse?

Yet people say constantly here that Lindsey only said the Buck/Vie album WASN’T a FM album because he was afraid to cross Stevie, which would have made him a “yes man.” Remember, Lindsey only acknowledged what every single fan on the planet had known AFTER he had been fired. So that doesn’t seem to have been the problem.

I think SteveMacD has been right all along about what the problem was between Irving and Lindsey.

jbrownsjr 02-09-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1292185)

I remember. You couldn't get away from those songs, even if you tried.

BigAl84 02-09-2024 10:30 AM

He crossed camp Stevie by releasing the album with Christine. Stevie didn't want to do a Fleetwood Mac record and she didn't want the press acknowledging her absence from the project either. The only thing that would have made her happy was if they shelved the entire project for good. It didn't matter how nice they tried to spin it and let Stevie off the hook, she was pissed that the other 4 members of the band proceeded to release the album because it ultimately made her look bad to a certain degree. Plus it displayed the power-shift that was occurring within the band. She wasn't able to call the shots on this one.

Edited:
Irving was probably pissed as well because he was banking on a Fleetwood Mac pay-day that never happened because of the Stevie-Lindsey drama. So yeah...I bet Irving blames Lindsey for Stevie not wanting to do a Fleetwood Mac album and then mucking up the big touring plans. Irving was left with a tour that costed them money between the settlement and ticket sale issues.

I think Irving was naive to think he could waltz into Fleetwood Mac and run things the way he did with The Eagles after Frey passed. The dynamics of that band are entirely different than Fleetwood Mac.

bombaysaffires 02-09-2024 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292183)
Yeah I never understood that either. I don't remember, was Irving already managing Stevie when Lindsey came onboard? If so, that's insane that he thought that was a good idea. Maybe he thought it would be easier to navigate Fleetwood Mac projects if Irving managed both of them and it was all under one roof?

I can only conclude that the majority of conversations leading up to Lindsey moving over to Irving must have taken place with Irving's staff and not Irving himself. His staff must of blown a lot of smoke up his a** and somehow convinced him Irving was the right fit. What was Irving's angle!? It's pretty clear that Lindsey's solo work was never as commercial, what's in it for him? Complete business control over Fleetwood Mac I suppose.

Irving's been on Team Stevie since the early 80s... maybe even earlier. He was managing the Eagles (and others) back then and presumably that is how Stevie met him, but maybe somebody knows different.

bwboy 02-09-2024 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292193)
He crossed camp Stevie by releasing the album with Christine. Stevie didn't want to do a Fleetwood Mac record and she didn't want the press acknowledging her absence from the project either. The only thing that would have made her happy was if they shelved the entire project for good. It didn't matter how nice they tried to spin it and let Stevie off the hook, she was pissed that the other 4 members of the band proceeded to release the album because it ultimately made her look bad to a certain degree. Plus it displayed the power-shift that was occurring within the band. She wasn't able to call the shots on this one. Irving was probably pissed as well because he was banking on a Fleetwood Mac album pay-day and that never happened because of the Stevie-Lindsey drama, then it was released without his client (Stevie) which put more salt on the wound. So yeah...I bet Irving blames Lindsey for the collapse his big Fleetwood Mac payday. Instead he and his client (Stevie) were left with a tour that costed them money between the settlement and ticket sale issues.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Your point that Azoff blamed Lindsey for not calling Buck/Vie a FM album, I don’t make the connection. A FM album wouldn’t make that much money, certainly not what a tour would. And wouldn’t Azoff have still made money off the album since he was Lindsey’s manager at the time? And he was left with a tour without Lindsey because the band fired him, apparently with Azoff’s approval/encouragement. The band wanted Lindsey out so much they settled almost immediately. They made so much money from the tour, even if they settled for $14 million, they still made a ton of money. And we know they settled for less than $14 million because that was what he was asking- I wouldn’t be surprised if they settled for $10 million, but they must have thought it was worth it.

No way for any of us to know for sure, but I think instead of it being one or two big issues, it was several things that happened along the way that finally led to Stevie and Irving saying enough. Doesn’t mean that it was right, but that’s my where my vote is.

BigAl84 02-09-2024 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1292195)
We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Your point that Azoff blamed Lindsey for not calling Buck/Vie a FM album, I don’t make the connection. A FM album wouldn’t make that much money, certainly not what a tour would. And wouldn’t Azoff have still made money off the album since he was Lindsey’s manager at the time? And he was left with a tour without Lindsey because the band fired him, apparently with Azoff’s approval/encouragement. The band wanted Lindsey out so much they settled almost immediately. They made so much money from the tour, even if they settled for $14 million, they still made a ton of money. And we know they settled for less than $14 million because that was what he was asking- I wouldn’t be surprised if they settled for $10 million, but they must have thought it was worth it.

No way for any of us to know for sure, but I think instead of it being one or two big issues, it was several things that happened along the way that finally led to Stevie and Irving saying enough. Doesn’t mean that it was right, but that’s my where my vote is.

I just revisited what I wrote and I did kind of contradict myself. I said Fleetwood Mac album when I meant tour.

What I meant is the release of the BuckVie album started the bad mojo between Lindsey and Stevie which eventually resulted in the Music Cares meltdown and Lindsey's departure. Irving was pissed because he had another Fleetwood Mac cash grab tour in the works and it went sideways. It was several issues, Stevie had her own issues and Irving was pissed about his business objectives being disrupted. Irving knew with Lindsey out of the picture, the tour financials could look different.

The band settling quickly had nothing to do with how much they wanted him out - it's because they literally had no case. Had it gone to court, they would have lost. Then they would be paying out Lindsey PLUS all the legal fees of going to court.

jbrownsjr 02-09-2024 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292196)
The band settling quickly had nothing to do with how much they wanted him out - it's because they literally had no case. Had it gone to court, they would have lost. Then they would be paying out Lindsey PLUS all the legal fees of going to court.

Not to mention the media mess that would have only gotten worse.

BigAl84 02-09-2024 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292197)
Not to mention the media mess that would have only gotten worse.

How quickly they settled revealed just how effing dirty the whole thing really was. Lindsey had his paper trail and he knew it. It's still shocking that he offered to fly out to Hawaii and talk things over and Mick gave him the cold shoulder. It's nauseating how much Mick became Stevie's pet.

jbrownsjr 02-09-2024 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292199)
How quickly they settled revealed just how effing dirty the whole thing really was. Lindsey had his paper trail and he knew it. It's still shocking that he offered to fly out to Hawaii and talk things over and Mick gave him the cold shoulder. It's nauseating how much Mick became Stevie's pet.

That part!!! I was more upset about the way they handled it.
She couldn't even be bothered to face him and say, "We need to let the shippers know that we really can't stand each other. Oh and you're fired!!"

bwboy 02-09-2024 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292196)
I just revisited what I wrote and I did kind of contradict myself. I said Fleetwood Mac album when I meant tour.

Got it, I see what you mean now.

I absolutely agree FM had no case. If I recall correctly, and if it was true, all the contracts for the tour had been signed, and then Lindsey was fired. He should have been paid for that tour, legally and morally. I don’t think if they had gone to court it would have hurt their reputation that much- I mean, this is a band that had rampant drug use, alcoholism, affairs within and outside of the band, members that left for cults, etc, etc. I agree nasty stuff would have been alleged, and by both sides, but I don’t think those allegations would have shocked the public. “Lindsey smirked at me; Stevie didn’t like it that I wanted Say You Will to be a double album; Lindsey treated me differently than he would have Bob Dylan; Stevie refused to record with us and just wanted to tour for the money.” I mean, it’s definitely petty but hardly going to outrage the average person.

Villavic 02-09-2024 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1292194)
Irving's been on Team Stevie since the early 80s... maybe even earlier. He was managing the Eagles (and others) back then and presumably that is how Stevie met him, but maybe somebody knows different.

Yes. According to Mick, it was just finishing the Tusk tour. Or at least it's when he learned about it:

Less than a month after the end of the Tusk tour, I realized I was in trouble with the rest of the band.

By this time, other managers began to enter the picture. John, Chris, and I were still with Mickey Shapiro, but Stevie had signed with the tough industry mogul Irving Azoff, who managed the Eagles at the time, to represent her with regard to her looming solo career. Lindsey was with somebody else.

The sh** hit the fan at a business meeting held to overview the Tusk tour with reference to the European leg. This turned into a vitriolic review of my behavior and management skills. The basic complaint, of course, was that we'd been on the road for eight months and hadn't made much money.

HomerMcvie 02-09-2024 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292199)

Mick is a PIG. He'll do whatever to make a buck. He knows Old Goatsy is his best chance at making a buck.

You know what they should do? He should just become Old Goatsy's drummer. Seriously.

BLY 02-09-2024 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=HomerMcvie;1292203]

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t become Stevie’s drummer by now.

bwboy 02-09-2024 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1292202)
Yes. According to Mick, it was just finishing the Tusk tour. Or at least it's when he learned about it:

Less than a month after the end of the Tusk tour, I realized I was in trouble with the rest of the band.

By this time, other managers began to enter the picture. John, Chris, and I were still with Mickey Shapiro, but Stevie had signed with the tough industry mogul Irving Azoff, who managed the Eagles at the time, to represent her with regard to her looming solo career. Lindsey was with somebody else.

The sh** hit the fan at a business meeting held to overview the Tusk tour with reference to the European leg. This turned into a vitriolic review of my behavior and management skills. The basic complaint, of course, was that we'd been on the road for eight months and hadn't made much money.

I’ve always thought it was suspect that Mick glossed over that period- he used the excuses like putting grand pianos in hotel rooms, or repainting the rooms, etc. but we all know it was just as possible he was just as bad with the band money as he was with his own. Or maybe he was deliberately taking a little extra? And notice how he says the meeting was about his “behavior” as well as management skills, but never elaborated what those behaviors were.

Those would have the kind of details I’d love to read about.

jbrownsjr 02-09-2024 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=BLY;1292204]
Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292203)

With a collar around his neck.

OutsideTheRain 02-09-2024 06:00 PM

I may be open to one final send off.
A Buckingham Nicks set.
Fleetwood (and John McVie if he's up for it) coming out for a tribute to Christine to close out the show.
Recorded in an intimate "VH1 Storytellers" type format.

HomerMcvie 02-09-2024 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=jbrownsjr;1292206]
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1292204)

With a collar around his neck.

Lindsey isn't going to need his.

Hopefully.

bombaysaffires 02-09-2024 06:57 PM

And let's not forget Irving's official statement after Lindsey's interviews about his firing:

“While I understand it’s challenging for Lindsey to accept his own role in these matters and far easier for him to blame a manager, the fact remains that his actions alone are responsible for what transpired. Frankly, If I can be accused of anything, it’s perhaps holding things together longer than I should have. After 2018 when Fleetwood Mac evolved with their new lineup, my continued work with the band was due entirely to the fact I’ve been aligned with Stevie Nicks in thought and purpose from the earliest of days. While financial gain was not a motivator for me, it was a delightful bonus that the band scored their highest grossing tour ever, without Lindsey.”

jmn3 02-10-2024 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=BLY;1292204]
Quote:

She’d never want another “name” on stage with her, at least not every night/all night.

Villavic 02-10-2024 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=BLY;1292204]
Quote:

The question is Why did she never asked him. I'm sure if she had he would have accepted immediately. $

DownOnRodeo 02-10-2024 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving A$off
While financial gain was not a motivator for me, it was a delightful bonus that the band scored their highest grossing tour ever, without Lindsey.

Guy can't keep his story straight until the sentence has even ended.