The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One More Night (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60279)

jbrownsjr 03-14-2024 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1292841)
I think it was just to make the “Live” album that was only technically pulling from only 3 studio albums a bit more interesting to add some new tracks to make it more marketable.

It's funny that none of us, (Including David 0) have really very little information on this. Steve Mac? Anything to add?

soul_drifter333 03-14-2024 10:45 AM

Back in the day there was an industry magazine called Ice Magazine and I read an article about the album. It's been a while, but I though it said that they recorded all shows on the Tusk tour to pulled songs for a live album. I haven't seen any evidence of soundboard recording of all shows from the tour, but who knows maybe there are still some in the vault somewhere. Knowing Lindsey he wouldn't want to release an album without some new material. I think that was the industry standard then even though done of those live tracks had been released before. I've tried looking online for that article, but haven't found it yet.

Back then I usually kept up with release dates and bought albums on the date they were released, but it seems that I remember walking into a Record Bar in the mall and saw the Live album already on the shelf. It hadn't been released more than a few days, but I was pleasantly surprised and excitied. Seems like it was around the holidays. The Live album has always been one of my favorites. At that time you had to rely on bootlegs or a few of the radio shows to hear live performances.I think it's perfect exactly the way it is even though people on here tear it apart and complaint about everything. :wavey:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292850)
It's funny that none of us, (Including David 0) have really very little information on this. Steve Mac? Anything to add?

jbrownsjr 03-14-2024 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 (Post 1292851)
Back in the day there was an industry magazine called Ice Magazine and I read an article about the album. It's been a while, but I though it said that they recorded all shows on the Tusk tour to pulled songs for a live album. I haven't seen any evidence of soundboard recording of all shows from the tour, but who knows maybe there are still some in the vault somewhere. Knowing Lindsey he wouldn't want to release an album without some new material. I think that was the industry standard then even though done of those live tracks had been released before. I've tried looking online for that article, but haven't found it yet.

Back then I usually kept up with release dates and bought albums on the date they were released, but it seems that I remember walking into a Record Bar in the mall and saw the Live album already on the shelf. It hadn't been released more than a few days, but I was pleasantly surprised and excitied. Seems like it was around the holidays. The Live album has always been one of my favorites. At that time you had to rely on bootlegs or a few of the radio shows to hear live performances.I think it's perfect exactly the way it is even though people on here tear it apart and complaint about everything. :wavey:

I was wondering if we had any news or bits about the new songs and sound check etc. Cool that you saw the album days after release. What a rush that must have been!

soul_drifter333 03-14-2024 02:19 PM

The Live album got virually no promotion, so it no wonder it didn't do any better. I guess they weren't expecting much. Plus, they were burned out from the tour and I'm sure didn't want to go back to work, especially after the management shakeup.

If this Wikipedia article is to be believed, they recorded over 400 shows between 75-79. That would tie in with all the Tusk shows being recorded. It's a shame we haven't gotten a whole uneidted Tusk show. The extra live disc they included with the Live reisssue is awesome, and it doesn't appear to have any overdubs, but it is created from different shows. We should get a petition going for them to release them all even digitally! :nod:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_(Fleetwood_Mac_album)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292852)
I was wondering if we had any news or bits about the new songs and sound check etc. Cool that you saw the album days after release. What a rush that must have been!

GypsySorcerer 03-14-2024 03:34 PM

I haven't listened to "One More Night" in 15 years. Probably more. But I gave the demo a shot, and it's lovely. None of the shrill, whiny vocals on the released version. I can't quite articulate the thought, but there's something about her vocal delivery that reminds me of a Stevie demo. But with better piano playing. :laugh:

HomerMcvie 03-14-2024 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer (Post 1292856)
I haven't listened to "One More Night" in 15 years. Probably more. But I gave the demo a shot, and it's lovely. None of the shrill, whiny vocals on the released version. I can't quite articulate the thought, but there's something about her vocal delivery that reminds me of a Stevie demo. But with better piano playing. :laugh:

My dead cat plays piano better than Old Goatsy. :lol:

jbrownsjr 03-15-2024 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292857)
My dead cat plays piano better than Old Goatsy. :lol:

You have a dead cat?

David 03-15-2024 01:18 PM

The album was released on December 8, the day Lennon was murdered. Not to sound crass, but I think that sunk airplay right out of the gate. I was at the record store on December 8 to buy the album, and the store was playing “A Day in the Life” over and over. Ordinarily, on a Fleetwood Mac release day, you’d walk into a record store and hear it. Radio, too, was naturally and justifiably all over Lennon’s great legacy, and the Mac album was ignored for several days. Only later did I start hearing a couple of things on the album, like “Oh Well” and “Monday Morning” on KMET in Los Angeles. But not much at all, really. The album developed a sort of cut-out bin reputation, even more so than Tusk.

I think it was a rush job but not without strengths. All those barn-burning performances plus some great cover and sleeve art. It had the spirit of Tusk. It just wasn’t what the radio public wanted to hear back then. Fleetwood Mac in concert was for seeing, not for hearing, people thought. Maybe it was the wrong time for a live Mac album. The live albums that had been getting all the airplay, like Journey and Cheap Trick and Jackson Browne, had all been released a few years earlier. Mac was a little late to the table. Live Rust was getting more airplay on KMET in 1980/81 than Mac Live even when the former was already a few years old.

HomerMcvie 03-15-2024 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292871)
You have a dead cat?

Several. In my freezer. Doesn't everybody?

I take Fritz out of the freezer on Tuesdays, and bang him across my keyboards. He still plays better than Old Goatsy.

HomerMcvie 03-15-2024 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1292872)
The album was released on December 8, the day Lennon was murdered. Not to sound crass, but I think that sunk airplay right out of the gate. I was at the record store on December 8 to buy the album, and the store was playing “A Day in the Life” over and over. Ordinarily, on a Fleetwood Mac release day, you’d walk into a record store and hear it. Radio, too, was naturally and justifiably all over Lennon’s great legacy, and the Mac album was ignored for several days. Only later did I start hearing a couple of things on the album, like “Oh Well” and “Monday Morning” on KMET in Los Angeles. But not much at all, really. The album developed a sort of cut-out bin reputation, even more so than Tusk.

I think it was a rush job but not without strengths. All those barn-burning performances plus some great cover and sleeve art. It had the spirit of Tusk. It just wasn’t what the radio public wanted to hear back then. Fleetwood Mac in concert was for seeing, not for hearing, people thought. Maybe it was the wrong time for a live Mac album. The live albums that had been getting all the airplay, like Journey and Cheap Trick and Jackson Browne, had all been released a few years earlier. Mac was a little late to the table. Live Rust was getting more airplay on KMET in 1980/81 than Mac Live even when the former was already a few years old.

~I~ rushed out and bought it the day it was released. I love it more than Tango, Time, BTM, and the giant cat turd SYW.

jbrownsjr 03-15-2024 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292875)
~I~ rushed out and bought it the day it was released. I love it more than Tango, Time, BTM, and the giant cat turd SYW.

You have giant cat turds? :laugh:

HomerMcvie 03-15-2024 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292878)
You have giant cat turds? :laugh:

Yes. I've not thrown SYW away yet.

Villavic 03-15-2024 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292875)

I can't imagine the lot of gallons of kopi luwak you prepared with that. You must have become a millionaire.

HomerMcvie 03-15-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1292881)
I can't imagine the lot of gallons of kopi luwak you prepared with that. You must have become a millionaire.

Only barely.

Villavic 03-15-2024 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1292872)
Maybe it was the wrong time for a live Mac album. The live albums that had been getting all the airplay, like Journey and Cheap Trick and Jackson Browne, had all been released a few years earlier. Mac was a little late to the table. Live Rust was getting more airplay on KMET in 1980/81 than Mac Live even when the former was already a few years old.

Not sure about the time factor. Supertramp's Paris was released in september '80 and i think it was a success (one of my favorite live albums, by the way). It reached the top ten albums list in several countries, include US Billboard 200 albums (n.8).

Maybe the FM Live release day (coinciding Lennon's death) was an issue but in the long term I guess there were other causes.

SteveMacD 03-15-2024 03:52 PM

This is a pleasant filler track. I prefer the Live version to the demo, but it didn’t seem necessary.

The Live album should have been a lot safer. It drags badly in spots. Put SHN, YMLF, Tusk, Songbird, and The Chain on there.

Macfan4life 03-15-2024 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1292884)
This is a pleasant filler track. I prefer the Live version to the demo, but it didn’t seem necessary.

The Live album should have been a lot safer. It drags badly in spots. Put SHN, YMLF, Tusk, Songbird, and The Chain on there.

Its rare that we agree. But I agree with you. I like the demo but the live version gives me solo piano bar sort of vibes. I would not classify her singing as whiny as someone said. She is projecting her voice to emphasize parts of the song. I find it raw and can feel her emotion on the live track and not so much the studio track/demo.
But I would have axed all 3 new songs along with Not That Funny for Sisters, The Chain and Songbird.

Villavic 03-15-2024 06:37 PM

Quote:

And that's what I was thinking about, when I said the track listing was a mystery to me. Several missing.

BigAl84 03-15-2024 08:13 PM

I doubt the entire tour was recorded. I’m betting the truth lies somewhere between what Ken and Richard always said - they would go out for about two weeks and record. We definitely know they recorded shows in both ‘79 and ‘80 both state side and abroad. I would be really curious to know how many Tusk tour tapes they have.

BigAl84 03-15-2024 08:15 PM

I agree, if they had so many tapes to pull from it’s odd that they didn’t follow the setlist from the tour and wind up with their own version of Frampton Comes Alive.

Then again, it’s equally as puzzling that there hasn’t been a re-release of The Dance with the full set including Gypsy etc.

jbrownsjr 03-18-2024 02:42 PM

I'll never understand why The Chain wasn't included.

The radio was playing Dreams (live) a lot. I remember that much.

Macfan4life 03-18-2024 03:10 PM

Dreams is an interesting timestamp. It was recorded at the Paris soundcheck in 1977. It was recorded before Dreams was a hit and was literally just released as a single. Does it not seem Stevie is really trying to sell the song with her vocals? I never cared for this live version of Dreams for this annoyance. Maybe its my imagination but once the song became a big hit she did not over sing it like this.

jbrownsjr 03-19-2024 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1292903)
Dreams is an interesting timestamp. It was recorded at the Paris soundcheck in 1977. It was recorded before Dreams was a hit and was literally just released as a single. Does it not seem Stevie is really trying to sell the song with her vocals? I never cared for this live version of Dreams for this annoyance. Maybe its my imagination but once the song became a big hit she did not over sing it like this.

I remember being completely underwhelmed when I heard this version.

aleuzzi 03-19-2024 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292902)
I'll never understand why The Chain wasn't included.

The radio was playing Dreams (live) a lot. I remember that much.

The recording of The Chain in Paris (1977) is really good and would have shined on LIVE.

jbrownsjr 03-20-2024 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1292924)
The recording of The Chain in Paris (1977) is really good and would have shined on LIVE.

The version they have on the Tusk Deluxe is fantastic. Which album is the Paris 1977 published? Is it on a deluxe. (I know I've heard it, just can't remember if they parked that somewhere.)

bombaysaffires 03-20-2024 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1292903)

I don't think she's 'oversinging' it at all.:confused:

Notably she's still not singing the high notes on "love you" part of the chorus.

I find it annoying on the video for the version on the Live album that there's no shot of Christine at all til about 3 minutes into the video....:distress:

jbrownsjr 03-20-2024 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1292946)
I don't think she's 'oversinging' it at all.:confused:

Notably she's still not singing the high notes on "love you" part of the chorus.

I find it annoying on the video for the version on the Live album that there's no shot of Christine at all til about 3 minutes into the video....:distress:

Agree, she's so underwhelming. Like she's bored with the song. The video really is annoying, like many others that Christine is cut out much of. Watch Oh Diane. :lol:

Macfan4life 03-20-2024 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292907)
I remember being completely underwhelmed when I heard this version.

That's rare because I thought I was the only one that thought that. She keeps running her vocal range up and down throughout the song, no? Mariah Carey not quite but do you smell what I am cooking?
I thought I was the only one.
But for those that don't hear this or like it would you agree this song is sung differently than almost every other version of the song in concert?

bombaysaffires 03-20-2024 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1292949)
That's rare because I thought I was the only one that thought that. She keeps running her vocal range up and down throughout the song, no? Mariah Carey not quite but do you smell what I am cooking?
I thought I was the only one.
But for those that don't hear this or like it would you agree this song is sung differently than almost every other version of the song in concert?

I think it's sung more closely to the recorded version than most others, and certainly way more than the way she's been singing it since like Tusk. I like this version; it's how her voice used to work. I don't think it's showboating at all, I think it was her trying to sound like the recording. She was already losing the high end of her voice by this time and she really lost it during/after Tusk.

aleuzzi 03-21-2024 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292934)
The version they have on the Tusk Deluxe is fantastic. Which album is the Paris 1977 published? Is it on a deluxe. (I know I've heard it, just can't remember if they parked that somewhere.)

Here is the version I am talking about:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHqyk...BwYXJpcyAxOTc3

Macfan4life 03-21-2024 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1292950)
I think it's sung more closely to the recorded version than most others, and certainly way more than the way she's been singing it since like Tusk. I like this version; it's how her voice used to work. I don't think it's showboating at all, I think it was her trying to sound like the recording. She was already losing the high end of her voice by this time and she really lost it during/after Tusk.

Definitely not showboating. When I learned it was from the Rumours soundcheck it sort of explained the reasons for my feelings on the song. Maybe for soundcheck she was testing the mic or trying something new. I just get vibes she's really selling the song. Dreams is a somber song, no? Its sung in a somber way. This version does not have that feel.
But everyone else says its their favorite version of Dreams so clearly its just me ;)

jbrownsjr 03-21-2024 07:54 AM

Dreams nor Gypsy really do well live. They have that studio nuance that makes them great tunes.

Having said that, Dreams from the Dance is probably the best one I can handle without wanting to fall asleep.

sleepless child 03-21-2024 11:40 AM

I remember getting this album when it came out and I was very surprised it didn't do well. I thought Fireflies would be a hit. I remember Dave Letterman mentioning the album when Lindsey was on. (I think). He talked about those great guitar solos

bombaysaffires 03-21-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292954)
Dreams nor Gypsy really do well live. They have that studio nuance that makes them great tunes.

Having said that, Dreams from the Dance is probably the best one I can handle without wanting to fall asleep.

Speaks to how big a contribution the production in the studio really beefs up and helps carry her songs... Doing them live just can't reproduce all the studio tracks, and when the more basic elements are revealed it shows the limitations of her musical skill (as opposed to her lyrical skill)

jbrownsjr 03-21-2024 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1292972)
Speaks to how big a contribution the production in the studio really beefs up and helps carry her songs... Doing them live just can't reproduce all the studio tracks, and when the more basic elements are revealed it shows the limitations of her musical skill (as opposed to her lyrical skill)

Now, there you go again!!! :laugh:

David 03-21-2024 01:31 PM

Quote:

The Live album should have been a lot safer.

They were of course a huge concert attraction in 1980 (and had the box office receipts to prove it), but people did occasionally walk out that year because of how freakish they played. I remember the couple who walked out at the Bowl because the studio band didn’t sound like the studio band. Those people wanted the studio sound. To make a safer live album, the band would have had to gather a single album’s worth of top hits from the less nutty touring days, 1975 to 1977. Somebody opted to go a little conky with this album, from the song choice to the 1980 jamming to the fainting-spell cover photo and the typewriter font.

Quote:

It drags badly in spots.
Stop it!

Quote:

Put SHN, YMLF, Tusk, Songbird, and The Chain on there.
As the tour progressed, “Tusk” got longer and longer. The performance on the LIVE deluxe, for example, is about eight minutes of that riff played over and over. The performance to grab for a live album should have been the Forum concerts with the USC Trojans. Having the horns around kept the jamming under radio-friendly control.

jbrownsjr 03-21-2024 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1292976)
They were of course a huge concert attraction in 1980 (and had the box office receipts to prove it), but people did occasionally walk out that year because of how freakish they played. I remember the couple who walked out at the Bowl because the studio band didn’t sound like the studio band. Those people wanted the studio sound. To make a safer live album, the band would have had to gather a single album’s worth of top hits from the less nutty touring days, 1975 to 1977. Somebody opted to go a little conky with this album, from the song choice to the 1980 jamming to the fainting-spell cover photo and the typewriter font.

Stop it!

As the tour progressed, “Tusk” got longer and longer. The performance on the LIVE deluxe, for example, is about eight minutes of that riff played over and over. The performance to grab for a live album should have been the Forum concerts with the USC Trojans. Having the horns around kept the jamming under radio-friendly control.

Having said all this. I do love the Deluxe version of this album. It's fantastic, in my opinion.