The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   best song by Jeremy (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=8262)

wetcamelfood 02-06-2003 04:30 PM

Re: Re: CM piano on Blue Horizon stuff

Quote:

Originally posted by chiliD
:laugh: Ok, John, they're called MARACAS!! ;) :laugh:
Just trynta be cute. :)

John

Doctor Brown 02-07-2003 03:25 PM

Re: CM piano on Blue Horizon stuff

Quote:

Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Yes, CM is on SMR. You can hear PG direct her on one of the earlier takes of the song in the "in between song banter" on the "Compete Blue Horizon sessions" box set recordings. :)

John

That's my favorite version of "Stop Messin' 'Round", and my favorite Peter Green lead playing.

Doc

chiliD 02-07-2003 04:22 PM

It's been a bit since I played that CD...but I do recall that ONE of those alternate versions of "Stop Messin' Round" really kicked.

When I heard Gary Moore's cover on his Blues For Greeny album, I thought, "what's he doing changing the words?"...then I got the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions box and lo & behold the alternate version was the one that Gary Moore took his from.

I was impressed with the version Fleetwood Mac played during the 1990 tour with Rick Vito handling guitar & vocals. Christine even took a bit of a piano solo in the middle; really high-energy!! Say what you want about Rick replacing Lindsey, but he did a helluva job on those Peter Green tunes he resurrected once he got in the band.

macfan 57 02-08-2003 07:16 AM

Quote:

[i]Originally posted by chiliD

I was impressed with the version Fleetwood Mac played during the 1990 tour with Rick Vito handling guitar & vocals. Christine even took a bit of a piano solo in the middle; really high-energy!! Say what you want about Rick replacing Lindsey, but he did a helluva job on those Peter Green tunes he resurrected once he got in the band. [/B]
I agree. I loved "Stop Messin' Around" live from the BTM tour. "I Loved Another Woman" was another good one.

Melack 04-03-2009 07:34 AM

I'm not a huge Jeremy fan, but I still like his stuff alot.

I probably wouldn't want to listen to a whole album full of Jeremy but one of my favorite FM albums is the debut and he plays a big role in that album for sure.

Green got the most of my favorite songs on that album but I really love the mix between Greens numbers and Jeremys.

"My Heart Beat Like A Hammer" is my favorite Jeremy song and it's a perfect opener for one of the best debut albums ever.

Going from Jeremys intensive rendition of "Moneymaker" to Greens sparse and soulful "Looking For Somebody" is great.

Same goes with "My Baby's Good to Me" into "I Loved Another Woman"

It's like going on a rollercoaster ride, a fun and emotional ride thanks to both Jeremy and Green.

But with that said of course Green was a much bigger talent than Jeremy and the best songs on that album is by Green, even though "My Heart Beat Like A Hammer" comes close to match some of the Green numbers.

On Mr Wonderful Jeremys started to sound a bit repetitious and without any real standout tracks it got a bit boring and is one reason that Mr Wonderful is a step down quality wise from the debut.

I love the playfulness in Jeremys voice, you can tell he had fun singing and playing these songs.

"MY HAAART BEEAAT LAAAKE AA HAAAMAH"

:):):)

Oh and hello I'm a new fan to the pre 75 FM.
When I thought I couldn't love this band more, I fall in love with this era to.
(Please don't flame me for being a Rumours era fan ;) )

chriskisn 04-03-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melack (Post 812184)
I'm not a huge Jeremy fan, but I still like his stuff alot.

I probably wouldn't want to listen to a whole album full of Jeremy but one of my favorite FM albums is the debut and he plays a big role in that album for sure.

Green got the most of my favorite songs on that album but I really love the mix between Greens numbers and Jeremys.

"My Heart Beat Like A Hammer" is my favorite Jeremy song and it's a perfect opener for one of the best debut albums ever.

Going from Jeremys intensive rendition of "Moneymaker" to Greens sparse and soulful "Looking For Somebody" is great.

Same goes with "My Baby's Good to Me" into "I Loved Another Woman"

It's like going on a rollercoaster ride, a fun and emotional ride thanks to both Jeremy and Green.

But with that said of course Green was a much bigger talent than Jeremy and the best songs on that album is by Green, even though "My Heart Beat Like A Hammer" comes close to match some of the Green numbers.

On Mr Wonderful Jeremys started to sound a bit repetitious and without any real standout tracks it got a bit boring and is one reason that Mr Wonderful is a step down quality wise from the debut.

I love the playfulness in Jeremys voice, you can tell he had fun singing and playing these songs.

"MY HAAART BEEAAT LAAAKE AA HAAAMAH"

:):):)

Oh and hello I'm a new fan to the pre 75 FM.
When I thought I couldn't love this band more, I fall in love with this era to.
(Please don't flame me for being a Rumours era fan ;) )

Yikes you have been digging back in the archives to find this thread!

Don't worry we won't flame you for being a Rumours era fan, although we will try hard to correct that failing ;)

TrueFaith77 04-03-2009 08:35 AM

ALL-TIME: Without a doubt "Flee" is my favorite. It's one of the great songs of all time.

FLEETWOOD MAC: I'll have to think about my favorite of his Mac songs; "One Together" or "Buddy's Song" are the ones in the running for me. ETA: Only doing originals.

RECENT: I really love "Psychic Waste."

slipkid 04-03-2009 10:35 AM

I've fished through the archives, but I never noticed this thread before, yet it's a good one.

You can't go wrong with "Moneymaker". It's Jeremy's raw blues slide playing at it's finest. While I think this is far superior to Butterfield's take, Jerome Arnold (bass player for Butterfield, also played for Howlin' Wolf) plays like a beast during the second half of Butterfield's version.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but "My Heart Beat Like a Hammer" is a BB King tune with a new arrangement.

I like:
Stranger Blues from Boston Tea Party
Linda (with great back-up vocals from Green and Kirwan)
My Baby's Good To Me
This is the Rock
Can't Afford to Do It (I love the off mic back-up vocals, great touch)
Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight
I'm Worried (the best of the Elmore James "Dust My Broom" progression tunes)

I was unaware that Spencer did an album with songs that sound like Rumours era FM. I have to check that out.

Ms Moose 04-03-2009 10:36 AM

I held My Hellhound Last Night and now I'm Worried

Ahhh - I like his shaved down version of Roberts Johnsons Hellhound On My Trail on Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac and I like his playing and vocals on I Held My Baby Last Night from Blues Jam in Chicago. I have a soft spot for I'm Worried in most versions. He's a great slide player.

Ms Moose

chiliD 04-03-2009 01:46 PM

Wow! Talk about reviving a dead thread! Good job, people!

chriskisn 04-04-2009 04:56 AM

Actually I like both Flee and Jeremy Spencer and the Children albums. They certainly sound a bit dated though. JS and the Children sounds very 1200AD but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I've never actually thought about a favourite Jeremy song though, I always find it hard to pin down a favourite song when that often changes with my mood.

jeremy spencer 04-04-2009 09:57 AM

Precious Little?

This is interesting digging through my old stuff! Just wondered what you all think of my latest and last?:wavey:

chriskisn 04-04-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy spencer (Post 812504)
This is interesting digging through my old stuff! Just wondered what you all think of my latest and last?:wavey:

Fantastic...My favourite song off PL is Maria De Santiago...

Really enjoying watching the In Session DVD at the moment too, watching bits when my wife isn't around (given her dislike/hatred for all things FM related).

Funnily enough the In Session CD is the last solo album that I require by FM members, then I will have pretty much all the legal solo releases by all the 16 members (well at least until I realise I'm missing one :lol: ) Tried to buy it online the other day as an mp3 download but it wouldn't let me as I don't live in the US.

Wouter Vuijk 04-04-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 812509)
watching bits when my wife isn't around (given her dislike/hatred for all things FM related).

Well, ya sure done got dem blues, boy. :D

TrueFaith77 04-04-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy spencer (Post 812504)

I cited "Psychic Waste" as my favorite recent track. I'm no expert, but I assume that made its first appearance on Precious Little (GORGEOUS title track, by the way -- more back-up singers!! :thumbsup:).

What I love about "Psychic Waste" is that, despite its throwback sound, it really feels like a contemporary Blues song. Like another "pastiche" piece, Rick Vito's "I Got A Hole In My Shoe," it speaks to the moment. I thank Jeremy Spencer (you?) everytime I see a nihilistic movie like The Dark Knight or Wanted or Wall-E because the song articulates my distress: "We get so used to mutiliation that we no longer flinch or shed a tear!"

You referred to your "latest and last." I assume that means: Precious Little and In Session. Wonderful companion pieces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 812509)
Fantastic...My favourite song off PL is Maria De Santiago...

Great song too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 812259)
Wow! Talk about reviving a dead thread! Good job, people!

I meant to follow up with ChiliD as well on this. Your list on the thread was made prior to Precious Little and In Sessions. Would you revise? How so?