The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Working my way through FM (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=43642)

slipkid 05-02-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 887786)
Then stay the f**k away from a live Allman Bros album...

...and by the way...YES, YOU DO NEED TO HEAR 15 MINUTES OF "GREEN MANALISHI"....over & f**king over until you start to appreciate the intricacies of each note.

And, that goes for the 25+ minute versions of "Rattlesnake Shake" on the Live At The Boston Tea Party albums, too.

:nod:

Preach brother, preach!

While I have no idea why the 1999 CD version of "Live in Boston Vol. 3" is no longer in print, every Fleetwood Mac fan, and I mean post '74 (including the post LB years), needs to hear "Jumping At Shadows" (the Vol. 3 version). In a very short four and a half minutes, Peter Green displays why the original band were... outstanding.

If you pass that test, then you need to hear "If You Let Me Love You", on the same CD.

dansven 05-02-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Then stay the f**k away from a live Allman Bros album...

...and by the way...YES, YOU DO NEED TO HEAR 15 MINUTES OF "GREEN MANALISHI"....over & f**king over until you start to appreciate the intricacies of each note.

And, that goes for the 25+ minute versions of "Rattlesnake Shake" on the Live At The Boston Tea Party albums, too.

WOW...!!:confused:
...and without smileys too.

......................:D:D:D:thumbsup:
hahaha

dino 05-03-2010 02:16 AM

Hey, any PG Fleetwood Mac fans willing to do a critique of the Rumours years? :p
We'll post it in the Rumours section, of course...

chriskisn 05-03-2010 05:01 AM

Quote:

Maybe I should just go out and buy the rope now - it would be quicker ;)

slipkid 05-04-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 887828)
Maybe I should just go out and buy the rope now - it would be quicker ;)

chiliD is going to have words with me on this, but I stand by what I type. You have no idea how good those long Peter Green FM jams are. Compared to the Grateful Dead in 1970, (one of their peak periods), FM blew them away on the same bill in New Orleans. In fact that was where FM recorded "I've Got a Good Mind to Give Up Living" , that's now featured on Youtube. Compared to the Allman Brothers (at times, not always), FM didn't noodle riff jam (I.E. stuck in a rut, this was Cream's problem at times). Fleetwood Mac in 1969/1970 were the perfect jam band. Not that I have a lot of love for Aerosmith, yet Joe Perry always talks about how Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green) took blues rock to another level. Notice he didn't name Jimmy Page.

The problem is current jam bands know only of three; The Allmans, the Grateful Dead, and Phish. I can't stand the current jam band scene except for the Allman influenced bands (Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule).

chriskisn 05-04-2010 05:23 AM

Unfortunately jamming just doesn't do it for me and never has. Sure I appreciate that Peter Green was a fantastic guitarist and the occasional extended track is ok in small doses. I have listened to tracks like On We Jam, Encore Jam, etc probably once since I bought the 3 Boston albums.

It is like going to see a painting by a famous artist - nice to look at, you can admire it, but then you don't need to keep going back to see it regularly - you've already seen it.

Sorry :sorry:

chiliD 05-04-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 887998)
Unfortunately jamming just doesn't do it for me and never has. Sure I appreciate that Peter Green was a fantastic guitarist and the occasional extended track is ok in small doses. I have listened to tracks like On We Jam, Encore Jam, etc probably once since I bought the 3 Boston albums.

It is like going to see a painting by a famous artist - nice to look at, you can admire it, but then you don't need to keep going back to see it regularly - you've already seen it.

Sorry :sorry:

Piss poor attitude. :mad:

doodyhead 05-04-2010 12:10 PM

extended jame past and present

I can tell you first hand that I have witnessed jams from the Dead the Alman brothers Quicksilver Messenger Service, Canned Heat, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, The Jefferson Airplane, CSNY but not since 73

by 72 I had my fill of endless meandering but when a band was on it was something

doodyhead

chiliD 05-04-2010 12:19 PM

The only bands that CONSISTENTLY were/are good at the "extended jams":

Allman Bros Band
Little Feat

They rarely "meander", always have exciting peaks & valleys of dynamics and most always have a "point" to their jams....even to this day, despite personnel changes.

Groups like Jefferson Airplane, QMS & CSNY just kind of got caught up in that whole "extended jam" scene that was happening in the late 60's/early '70s...they never really were good at it, except on rare occasions. Even the so called "masters" of the extended jam, The Grateful Dead were so incredibly inconsistent...either they were on or not....IMO, mostly "not"...but the bad nights made the good nights that much more special.

TrueFaith77 05-04-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 888075)
The only bands that CONSISTENTLY were/are good at the "extended jams":

Allman Bros Band
Little Feat

They rarely "meander", always have exciting peaks & valleys of dynamics and most always have a "point" to their jams....even to this day, despite personnel changes.

Groups like Jefferson Airplane, QMS & CSNY just kind of got caught up in that whole "extended jam" scene that was happening in the late 60's/early '70s...they never really were good at it, except on rare occasions. Even the so called "masters" of the extended jam, The Grateful Dead were so incredibly inconsistent...either they were on or not....IMO, mostly "not"...but the bad nights made the good nights that much more special.

What about FM?

chiliD 05-04-2010 03:47 PM

Other than the extended "Green Manalishi" & "Rattlesnake Shake"s, they really didn't go off on "jams"....sure there are those two free-form things on the end of the Tea Party discs, but those were when "guests" were sitting in (Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton (supposedly))....but, there reluctance to REALLY jam was one of the reasons, it seems (from reading Celmins' bio on Green, and a few more recent interviews), why Peter decided to leave the band.

aleuzzi 05-04-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipkid (Post 887968)
You have no idea how good those long Peter Green FM jams are. Compared to the Grateful Dead in 1970, (one of their peak periods), FM blew them away on the same bill in New Orleans.

Agreed! Those long jams are amazing. Always found Green Manalishi a bit boring, though. Much prefer the Madge jams.

slipkid 05-04-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 888188)
Agreed! Those long jams are amazing. Always found Green Manalishi a bit boring, though. Much prefer the Madge jams.

If there's any evidence in "noodling" with FM it was the Fender Bass VI live jams at the end of "Green Manalishi". I tend to ignore, or forget that because Peter Green isn't playing guitar. Yet, it's similar to Berry Oakley's bass solo in "Mountain Jam". The Allmans loved to pull out that slide solo/Dickey Betts trill lick a lot to carry a couple measures ("Whipping Post", " In Memory of Elizabeth Reed").

With "Rattlesnake Shake" it's pure jam.

It starts with the original song, then comes the extended Peter Green solo (always inventive, never derivative), later comes the "Madge Jam" sequence at a faster tempo. After that is the dual guitar face off with harmonized guitars (done before the Allmans were "famous"). From that it goes into the "Underway" section. This is where Peter Green shows he was just as accomplished as Jeff Beck, or Jimi Hendrix in terms of controlling tone, and volume. Again, Peter Green was a master of dynamics, and using volume to achieve surprise. Finally, the jam drifts into a bit of "space", they find their bearings, and the final intense jam push arises. To end this great piece of work, Peter Green uses one of the greatest rock riffs I will ever hear in my lifetime (it's heard faintly at the end of the studio version of RS).

chiliD 05-05-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipkid (Post 888241)
...After that is the dual guitar face off with harmonized guitars (done before the Allmans were "famous").

Yes, true, however, those type of jams on "Rattlesnake Shake" (or in the sessions for Then Play On) didn't occur until AFTER Peter had met & jammed with Duane Allman (and the Grateful Dead----during those late 69/early 70 triple bill shows of Fleetwood Mac/Allman Bros Band/Grateful Dead)

zoork_1 05-05-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD (Post 888355)
Yes, true, however, those type of jams on "Rattlesnake Shake" (or in the sessions for Then Play On) didn't occur until AFTER Peter had met & jammed with Duane Allman (and the Grateful Dead----during those late 69/early 70 triple bill shows of Fleetwood Mac/Allman Bros Band/Grateful Dead)

Mmm, yes something pulled the trigger, and I think e.g. Santana contributed to that...

/z