The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2 SYW songs + 2 BuckVie songs (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60248)

Villavic 01-30-2024 08:57 AM

2 SYW songs + 2 BuckVie songs

Suppose we live in a parallel universe where Lindsey was never fired and BuckVie was a Fleetwood Mac album (yes with Stevie) that they promoted with a succesful tour in 2017. It was an album with the BuckVie real songs we know, plus Stevie's imaginary songs, that we don't know so are not included in this game, but we have Stevie's songs from SYW.

The 2017 tour was so succesful that they went on the road again in 2018 (again, this is a parallel universe where nobody was interested in a solo tour but in a FM tour).

But this time they decided to include in the setlist 2 songs from Say You Will and 2 songs from the BuckVie (now an FM) album, plus the usual hits from 75-87 years.

What 4 songs would you choose to include in this setlist? No rule about how many songs from each singer, you can choose 4 songs of one singer, or of 2 singers, or of the 3. The only rule is that you must choose 2 songs from SYW and 2 from BucVie. albums released in our real universe.

sleepless child 01-30-2024 09:04 AM

I actually thought of this, but used 5 Stevie demos. I used Julia, Chanel,Chanel, Deep Sense,You like me and Jimmy come on back. I even sequenced the album, opening with Julia. Lol. Too much time on my hands. I kept the Buck/Mcvie songs a d it became a 15 song album.

bwboy 01-30-2024 10:02 AM

Carnival Begin
On With the Show
Thrown Down
Peacekeeper

Macfan4life 01-30-2024 12:08 PM

Everybody Finds Out
Come (just to annoy the haters)

Too Far Gone
Red Sun

jbrownsjr 01-30-2024 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1291879)
Everybody Finds Out

Too Far Gone
Red Sun

I love Come. Wow, there's no really good way to say that, is there? :(

SteveMacD 01-30-2024 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1291880)
I love Come. Wow, there's no really good way to say that, is there? :(

Are we not doing “Phrasing” anymore?

jbrownsjr 01-30-2024 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1291881)
Are we not doing “Phrasing” anymore?

Seriously, this song receives a lot of hate. I do love the song.

Macfan4life 01-30-2024 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1291883)

What about Silver Girl as the encore?

Villavic 01-30-2024 03:42 PM

Quote:

It doesn't annoy me. It would be the perfect moment to leave my seat for a tequila sunrise :laugh:

My choices:

Thrown Down
Say Goodbye

Red Sun
In My World

jmn3 01-30-2024 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1291883)

I thought it was lame as could be on the album but the live version was incredible. I stand by the same assessment of I’m So Afraid too.

elle 01-30-2024 05:37 PM

Too Far Gone
Red Sun
Red Rover
Destiny Rules

elle 01-30-2024 05:39 PM

Quote:

Everybody Finds Out

Too Far Gone
Red Sun

oh wow, we picked the same 2 BuckVie songs!

Too Far Gone was such a fun crowd pleaser live that it would definitely be fun at FM!

Come is always amazing live.

WalkAThinLine. 01-30-2024 08:57 PM

I would use the opportunity to pick four songs that have never been performed live. From Buckingham McVie, the only two songs that weren't included in the accompanying setlist were "On With the Show" and "Carnival Begin".

As for ''Say You Will'', the songs that haven't been played in any capacity (to my knowledge) are "Illume", "Thrown Down", "Miranda", "Silver Girl", "Smile at You" and "Everybody Finds Out". Of those, I would pick "Miranda" and "Smile at You"

So here they are:
"Miranda"
"Smile at You"
"On With the Show"
"Carnival Begin"

aleuzzi 01-30-2024 09:15 PM

Everybody Finds Out
Say Goodbye

Too Far Gone
Red Sun

BigAl84 01-30-2024 11:21 PM

Lay Down For Free
Carnival Begin
Thrown Down
Miranda

aleuzzi 01-31-2024 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1291906)
Lay Down For Free
Carnival Begin
Thrown Down
Miranda

Throw Down is such a good tune, one of her best. I wonder if she could pull it off live these days.

Macfan4life 01-31-2024 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1291896)
oh wow, we picked the same 2 BuckVie songs!

Too Far Gone was such a fun crowd pleaser live that it would definitely be fun at FM!

Come is always amazing live.

Yes. Chris said she loved to perform Too Far Gone live and it got the crowd going.
I love any Lindsey song where he rocks with his guitar.

BigAl84 01-31-2024 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1291908)
Throw Down is such a good tune, one of her best. I wonder if she could pull it off live these days.

I really like Thrown Down and Destiny Rules off of Say You Will. It's a shame that they cut Destiny Rules from the setlist so early on in the tour. It just needed some time to come into its own as a live track, it never had a chance.

Not sure Thrown Down would work live today, theres a good chance it could turn into a "shout" fest during the verses.

jbrownsjr 01-31-2024 11:19 AM

Illume
Carnival Begin
Come
Too Far Gone

FuzzyPlum 01-31-2024 05:52 PM

Carnival Begin
On With the Show

Thrown Down
Steal Your Heart Away

I’d guess carnival Begin and On With the Show were left off the BuckVie tour as they were intentionally saving them for the next Fleetwood Mac tour (but maybe not???!!!???)

HomerMcvie 01-31-2024 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1291929)

I’d guess carnival Begin and On With the Show were left off the BuckVie tour as they were intentionally saving them for the next Fleetwood Mac tour (but maybe not???!!!???)

Now THAT'S really grasping for straws.

DownOnRodeo 01-31-2024 07:09 PM

Destiny Rules is an excellent track that gets buried in the album due to it being almost at the very end of an album that already has way too many "minor key" songs.

jbrownsjr 02-01-2024 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1291912)
Yes. Chris said she loved to perform Too Far Gone live and it got the crowd going.
I love any Lindsey song where he rocks with his guitar.

She was truly jamming out to this song.

BigAl84 02-01-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1291932)
Destiny Rules is an excellent track that gets buried in the album due to it being almost at the very end of an album that already has way too many "minor key" songs.

Ironically, even though they got 18 songs to fit onto a single disc - breaking it up across two discs might have made for a better listening experience. I find myself enjoying the 2 LP edition more than the digital/CD version these days.

The sequencing of that album had to have been a nightmare. Too many Lindsey songs in a row, or too many Stevie songs in a row, then taking into consideration tempos and keys...so many things to try and balance out in a single running order. Not to mention band politics, egos, and simmering temper tantrums.

bwboy 02-01-2024 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1291939)
Ironically, even though they got 18 songs to fit onto a single disc - breaking it up across two discs might have made for a better listening experience. I find myself enjoying the 2 LP edition more than the digital/CD version these days.

For all of us who don’t care for Say You Will- maybe we will come to rediscover it 10 years from now, much like we did with Tusk.

jbrownsjr 02-01-2024 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1291940)
For all of us who don’t care for Say You Will- maybe we will come to rediscover it 10 years from now, much like we did with Tusk.

I do like it a lot better than I used to. I wish it was more compact and an actual album, rather than random songs, etc.

soul_drifter333 02-01-2024 10:12 AM

Running Trough The Garden
Destiny Rules

Love Is Here To Stay
Lay Down For Free

bwboy 02-01-2024 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1291941)
I do like it a lot better than I used to. I wish it was more compact and an actual album, rather than random songs, etc.

I’m intrigued- what do you mean by more compact and an actual album?

jbrownsjr 02-01-2024 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1291943)

There are so many clunkers on this album. The opening track makes me want to shut it off. Unllike Tusk, I have a very hard time getting thru it. It's just sloppy with too many un crystaline visions.

jbrownsjr 02-01-2024 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1291943)

Behind the Mask sounds much more like a band to me than SYW.

bwboy 02-01-2024 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1291949)
There are so many clunkers on this album. The opening track makes me want to shut it off. Unllike Tusk, I have a very hard time getting thru it. It's just sloppy with too many un crystaline visions.

Ah, I see. That sounds almost exactly how I used to feel about Tusk, though. I thought there were too many slow songs and loud songs- Never Forget, Over and Over, Never Make Me Cry, Storms, and Beautiful Child seemed so slow, almost plodding to me, while the Ledge, Walk a Thin Line, and Not That Funny were so loud. Now, I love most of Tusk, but back then it was a no. I’m thinking maybe just like Tusk may have been ahead of it’s time, SYW was, too.

jbrownsjr 02-01-2024 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1291956)
Ah, I see. That sounds almost exactly how I used to feel about Tusk, though. I thought there were too many slow songs and loud songs- Never Forget, Over and Over, Never Make Me Cry, Storms, and Beautiful Child seemed so slow, almost plodding to me, while the Ledge, Walk a Thin Line, and Not That Funny were so loud. Now, I love most of Tusk, but back then it was a no. I’m thinking maybe just like Tusk may have been ahead of it’s time, SYW was, too.

Comparing SYW to Tusk will get you banned. :laugh:

HomerMcvie 02-01-2024 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1291961)
Comparing SYW to Tusk will get you banned. :laugh:

Hell compared to heaven. SYW sucks.

FuzzyPlum 02-01-2024 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1291963)
Hell compared to heaven. SYW sucks.

:thumbsup:
Yep…..Seconded

DownOnRodeo 02-01-2024 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1291956)

Continuing on my minor/major key theme, the Tusk track list can be unsettling and fatiguing as well in that nearly every song is essentially in the major key, even the angry or melancholic ones (of which there is no shortage). It's not until track 10 that we get our first real minor key song (Sisters of the Moon), and after that there are only two more.

Mirage is also almost entirely devoid of minor key tracks, but because the songs are more benign in content there is no unsettling juxtaposition like in Tusk. It does however take the edge off the album. Straight Back is its only minor key track.

The two Lindsey era albums with the most even balance of major and minor tracks are -- you guessed it, the ones that sold best: Rumours and Tango. And of these, the Rumours track listing has nearly every minor key song on the B side, easing the listener in then taking them on a journey into darkness. Tango reverses this by starting off dark and ending with more major key tunes, perhaps hinting at the passage of night into dawn.

What information do we have about how the Rumours track ordering was decided (ie who decided it)?

WalkAThinLine. 02-01-2024 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1291941)

Say You Will works better in small doses. I usually listen to only a few songs at a time, and that has increased my appreciation for the album as a whole.

jmn3 02-02-2024 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1291968)
What information do we have about how the Rumours track ordering was decided (ie who decided it)?

Hasn’t Stevie always taken the credit for sequencing Rumours?

bwboy 02-02-2024 08:30 AM

Quote:

The two Lindsey era albums with the most even balance of major and minor tracks are -- you guessed it, the ones that sold best: Rumours and Tango. And of these, the Rumours track listing has nearly every minor key song on the B side, easing the listener in then taking them on a journey into darkness.

Thanks for the insight, very interesting. I thought I had read somewhere that Lindsey did the sequencing for Rumours. However, didn’t the CD Rumours track order differ from the vinyl? So that makes things even more interesting.

Villavic 02-02-2024 08:32 AM

Quote:

Continuing on my minor/major key theme, the Tusk track list can be unsettling and fatiguing as well in that nearly every song is essentially in the major key, even the angry or melancholic ones (of which there is no shortage).

I think it's first time I read this qualification in Tusk. What songs do you consider are angry?

HomerMcvie 02-02-2024 10:44 AM

I think you could say that WMYTYTOne and The Ledge are angry, and maybe I Know I'm Not Wrong.