The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Love In Store (stripped down) (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60317)

Macfan4life 04-12-2024 04:45 AM

Love In Store (stripped down)

Are there any words to describe this? It just puts me in an awesome mood. Chris's vocal is so damn good. You can here the subtle differences in the backing vocals. For example Lindsey is profound on "OH DARLING". I love Chris's little keyboard parts. I could listen to a loop of this all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VyjiCgSIj4

jbrownsjr 04-12-2024 07:25 AM

This is absolutely keeeewwwlllllll!!! :blob2:

Macfan4life 04-12-2024 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293390)
This is absolutely keeeewwwlllllll!!! :blob2:

Its pure Perfect-ion
its like honey

This song has always had an emotional impact on me. Going back to late 1982 when I was 12 it gives me that first Jr High crush feeling where you have butterflies in the stomach. The opening line gets me every time. ALL I KNOW IS THE WAY THAT I FEEL WHENEVER YOU'RE AROUND. YOU LOOK AT ME AND I JUST MELT. I'M SCARED OF FEELING THAT WAY.
Dizzy with love.

It translated so well live too.

Villavic 04-12-2024 08:12 AM

Thanks for share!!!

My addiction to songs played with separate tracks/sounds started with the 1997 Classic Albums: Rumours special. I loved all those parts when Lindsey, Ken or Richard isolate the tracks, instruments sounds, etc. to show how they produced the songs. It would be great if they were that kind of documentaries for all albums.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/M68AA...K/s-l1200.webp

BLY 04-12-2024 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1293393)
Thanks for share!!!

My addiction to songs played with separate tracks/sounds started with the 1997 Classic Albums: Rumours special. I loved all those parts when Lindsey, Ken or Richard isolate the tracks, instruments sounds, etc. to show how they produced the songs. It would be great if they were that kind of documentaries for all albums.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/M68AA...K/s-l1200.webp

Me too. I was fascinated with the Rumours classic album series. I bought the DVD. I would still love to have a cd compilation of some of these so I can play it on my stereo system.

jbrownsjr 04-12-2024 08:47 AM

I do love the isolation(s) tracks. God Lindsey!! no wonder you loved working with her and got mad when she decided to retire. Christine was pure gold.

aleuzzi 04-12-2024 09:31 AM

Love In Store remains a preeminent example of the value of group participation. The song soars because of everyone’s involvement. Little Lies, Honey Hi, Brown Eyes, and Say You Love Me were other prime examples of a very good song being made great because of all the contributing parts.

I wish about six more songs on Mirage had boasted such a group effort.

Anyway, this vocals and organ mix of Love In Store is fantastic! The call-and-response voices give me goosebumps.

jbrownsjr 04-12-2024 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1293397)
Love In Store remains a preeminent example of the value of group participation. The song soars because of everyone’s involvement. Little Lies, Honey Hi, Brown Eyes, and Say You Love Me were other prime examples of a very good song being made great because of all the contributing parts.

I wish about six more songs on Mirage had boasted such a group effort.

Anyway, this vocals and organ mix of Love In Store is fantastic! The call-and-response voices give me goosebumps.

Not for nothing, but more and more I see the magic that they gave B/N. Unseen by most.

aleuzzi 04-12-2024 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293398)
Not for nothing, but more and more I see the magic that they gave B/N. Unseen by most.

Oh, definitely. B/N benefited greatly from the British trio. It was their collective musicianship that gave the work character and substance.

That’s why a song like Big Love, as good as it is, will never move me the same way Hold Me, Gypsy, and Little Lies do.

jbrownsjr 04-12-2024 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1293400)
Oh, definitely. B/N benefited greatly from the British trio. It was their collective musicianship that gave the work character and substance.

That’s why a song like Big Love, as good as it is, will never move me the same way Hold Me, Gypsy, and Little Lies do.

No kingdom for you, hill or otherwise.

aleuzzi 04-12-2024 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293401)
No kingdom for you, hill or otherwise.

No reverse montage either…

jbrownsjr 04-12-2024 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1293402)
No reverse montage either…

No drunken/high beach scene.

David 04-12-2024 01:19 PM

Not meaning to sound pompous or anything, I would have done the instruments a little differently on this song. To me, the vocals entirely carry the song. The instruments don’t have much personality of their own, unlike “Hold Me.” I would have combined the same instruments from “Hold Me” on this one and created a nice almost-bookend.

jbrownsjr 04-12-2024 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1293404)
Not meaning to sound pompous or anything, I would have done the instruments a little differently on this song. To me, the vocals entirely carry the song. The instruments don’t have much personality of their own, unlike “Hold Me.” I would have combined the same instruments from “Hold Me” on this one and created a nice almost-bookend.

It's a fair point. I always considered this to be Hold Me (extra light).

aleuzzi 04-12-2024 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1293404)

The reason I dig this song so much is because of its skeletal arrangement. The backing track is so simple, even humble, whereas the vocals soar…I love that.

David 04-12-2024 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1293406)
The reason I dig this song so much is because of its skeletal arrangement.

Ehhh . . . . so’s yer old man.

Quote:

The backing track is so simple, even humble, whereas the vocals soar…I love that.
Ehhh . . . . your mudda smokes a pipe.

Macfan4life 04-12-2024 04:13 PM

Is not the structure of this song similar to Think About Me? Both have 2 small verses and then the chorus, then the chorus again to fade out. Or you could say they have only one verse depending on your take.
Love Will Show Us How is also similar structure...one verse then chorus, chorus again and chorus to fade out.
Most pop songs have a chorus then second verse. These are unique.

Villavic 04-12-2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1293400)

I agree. That's why I like Tusk but is not my favorite album. That collective musicianship is absence in many Tusk songs, specially Lindsey's.

aleuzzi 04-13-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1293408)
Ehhh . . . . so’s yer old man.

Ehhh . . . . your mudda smokes a pipe.

You’ve never been more eloquent :)

aleuzzi 04-13-2024 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293409)
Is not the structure of this song similar to Think About Me? Both have 2 small verses and then the chorus, then the chorus again to fade out. Or you could say they have only one verse depending on your take.
Love Will Show Us How is also similar structure...one verse then chorus, chorus again and chorus to fade out.
Most pop songs have a chorus then second verse. These are unique.

Love will show us how has two versus in succession, then the chorus on repeat. I’m going by the album lyric sheet.

jbrownsjr 04-13-2024 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1293420)
Love will show us how has two versus in succession, then the chorus on repeat. I’m going by the album lyric sheet.

Guess you did need an alibi. :laugh:

Macfan4life 04-13-2024 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1293420)

Would you agree its the same structure of Love In Store and Think About Me.

Those are such small verses that some may consider them one verse. But granted if they are 2 small verses in succession (I agree) thats what Love in Store and Think About Me do too.
Most pop songs go: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus.

There are some verses in songs that are several paragraphs before a chorus.

To clarify, Chris should have yelled SECOND VERSE so there was no confusion.

WatchChain 04-13-2024 04:46 PM

Pure pop perfection! As mentioned earlier, Fleetwood Mac was at their best when utilizing the three part vocal harmony.

Unpopular Opinion: "Love in Store" should have been the first single from "Mirage".

Macfan4life 04-13-2024 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1293424)
Pure pop perfection! As mentioned earlier, Fleetwood Mac was at their best when utilizing the three part vocal harmony.

Unpopular Opinion: "Love in Store" should have been the first single from "Mirage".

You won't believe this but I was driving today thinking about Love In Store and I thought about the same thing. Hold Me got deadlocked at #4 for months. Imagine Love In Store with a video on MTV. Its a good hit that makes it to #9 or #11. Then Hold Me is released. It could have been #1 since that deadlock would have passed. But of course that is a pipe dream to release 2 Chris songs back to back.
If Little Lies was the first single from Tango it would have been a #1 hit no doubt.
The Gypsy video was filmed before Hold Me. However no way the band was going to release a Stevie single from their new album with Bella Donna still high on the charts and its 4th single entering the top 40.

WatchChain 04-13-2024 07:12 PM

"Mirage" would have been a much bigger album had the band bothered to stick around and work the album sales circuit. "Love in Store" should have been a top 10 hit, but the single was an afterthought.

2 videos and a short 6 week tour -- and they ran off into the night toward various solo projects.

aleuzzi 04-13-2024 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293423)
Would you agree its the same structure of Love In Store and Think About Me.

Those are such small verses that some may consider them one verse. But granted if they are 2 small verses in succession (I agree) thats what Love in Store and Think About Me do too.
Most pop songs go: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus.

There are some verses in songs that are several paragraphs before a chorus.

To clarify, Chris should have yelled SECOND VERSE so there was no confusion.

Same structure as Love In store for certain. The versus, though short, are separate and are exploited by little arrangement touches (like the additional guitar fills in the second verse of LWSUH.

aleuzzi 04-13-2024 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293421)
Guess you did need an alibi. :laugh:

Touché! Your kind of lovin’ ain’t easily found.

Villavic 04-14-2024 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1293432)
"Mirage" would have been a much bigger album had the band bothered to stick around and work the album sales circuit. "Love in Store" should have been a top 10 hit, but the single was an afterthought.

[/B]2 videos and a short 6 week tour[B] -- and they ran off into the night toward various solo projects.

It was an afterthought because of the short promotion, otherwise LIS would have fit perfectly within the album momentum.

According to Mick's book (yeah well if you can stand Homer's obsession with the goat, you can also stand mind with that book :D ).

I felt sick when we stopped touring. Mirage was number one and sales were strong in cities where we'd played. I wanted to be on the move, touring until the cows came home, but the others were less enthusiastic. Christine had sessions for her own solo album scheduled, and we'd been lucky to get Stevie at all. As soon as we left the road, Mirage died after five weeks at number one. The Australian band Men at Work, who had opened for us on the road, saw their album go to numberone shortly thereafter.

Macfan4life 04-14-2024 01:19 PM

She consults her book

HomerMcvie 04-14-2024 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1293439)

According to Mick's book (yeah well if you can stand Homer's obsession with the goat, you can also stand mind with that book :D ).

I am not obsessed with Old Goatsy. I'd give ANYTHING if she'd bit the big one instead of Christine. One less crazy, self absorbed narcissist in this world.

DownOnRodeo 04-14-2024 09:15 PM

This stripped down version has only amplified my apathy for this song, but it has also helped me better identify what I dislike about it:
- the persistent beat (like a pounding headache)
- Lindsey's doo-wops

Change the beat to something much more dynamic,
and swap out Lindsey's doo-wops for some distorted guitar licks,
and I won't be able to fight it.
Basically make it more edgy like YMLF and less toothless like Honey Hi (which is still funkier than this).

Macfan4life 04-15-2024 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo (Post 1293457)
This stripped down version has only amplified my apathy for this song, but it has also helped me better identify what I dislike about it:
- the persistent beat (like a pounding headache)
- Lindsey's doo-wops

Change the beat to something much more dynamic,
and swap out Lindsey's doo-wops for some distorted guitar licks,
and I won't be able to fight it.
Basically make it more edgy like YMLF and less toothless like Honey Hi (which is still funkier than this).

Funny because all those things you dont like about it are the things that I love about it. I love the pounding beat and Lindsey's doo-wops.
The drumming is spectacular IMHO. Meshed with Chris's playing creates a very bouncy track which I find appealing and very catchy.

Villavic 04-15-2024 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1293452)
I am not obsessed with Old Goatsy. I'd give ANYTHING if she'd bit the big one instead of Christine. One less crazy, self absorbed narcissist in this world.

Oh come on Homer!!! I even read threads in Christine or any forum where the topic has nothing to do with Stevie, and then you mention her. It doesn't annoy me, but I don't find it necessary for her to always be present in our posts, especially after what she did.

I mean, I think like Oscar Wilde: There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. That means if you speak badly or speak well of someone, in both cases you are doing them a favor. Ignoring them is the best punishment and actually drives them crazy, specially someone narcissistic.

PS: I don't wish death on anyone, not even the guy who stole my mobile that night. :laugh:

HomerMcvie 04-15-2024 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1293463)
Oh come on Homer!!! I even read threads in Christine or any forum where the topic has nothing to do with Stevie, and then you mention her. It doesn't annoy me, but I don't find it necessary for her to always be present in our posts, especially after what she did.

I mean, I think like Oscar Wilde: There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. That means if you speak badly or speak well of someone, in both cases you are doing them a favor. Ignoring them is the best punishment and actually drives them crazy, specially someone narcissistic.

PS: I don't wish death on anyone, not even the guy who stole my mobile that night. :laugh:

How do you talk about FM, without mentioning ~the most popular~ member? Even though she's a talentless hack, she's the seat filler. So it's pretty much impossible to leave her out of the discussions. Ideal FM for me would be if Mick had shown her the door when she issued her Lindsey ultimatum.

You wouldn't trade Stevie for Christine? I'd push the old bat straight back off a cliff. "Ooh look, Christine's back! All is well in the world!"

WatchChain 04-15-2024 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1293466)
Ideal FM for me would be if Mick had shown her the door when she issued her Lindsey ultimatum.

You wouldn't trade Stevie for Christine? I'd push the old bat straight back off a cliff. "Ooh look, Christine's back! All is well in the world!"

These people love money and luxury too much. All of them.

Somehow, I don't think playing smaller 5,000 seat venues and traveling on a tour bus would work for them - especially at this age.

That's what a Fleetwood Mac tour without Stevie Nicks looks like.

I'm sure the mode of traveling and meager profit for the Buckingham McVie Tour was an eye opener.

It's 20,000 seat arenas, jets, and The Four Seasons - or nothing. :laugh:

HomerMcvie 04-15-2024 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1293473)
These people love money and luxury too much. All of them.

Somehow, I don't think playing smaller 5,000 seat venues and traveling on a tour bus would work for them - especially at this age.

That's what a Fleetwood Mac tour without Stevie Nicks looks like.

I'm sure the mode of traveling and meager profit for the Buckingham McVie Tour was an eye opener.

It's 20,000 seat arenas, jets, and The Four Seasons - or nothing. :laugh:

Agreed. ARTISTS would do the smaller venues. Stevie and Mick are especially addicted to living "the grand life".

Except Mick's a loser, but he knows how to suck up.