The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Peter Green (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Peter Green leaves Splinter Group?!?! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=12633)

seteca 12-22-2003 07:04 PM

Peter Green leaves Splinter Group?!?!

This is absolutely unbelievable, and I really hope it's not true, but the newsflash on the official website doesn't look promising at all:

http://www.petergreen-splintergroup.co.uk/home.cfm

I saw Peter Green only 2 weeks ago at the Jazz Cafe and they were 101% on form, looking and sounding perfect.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

wondergirl9847 12-22-2003 07:22 PM

NO!!!

I seriously hope and pray that Peter is alright and safe wherever he is. May God watch over him because this sounds really bad. :(

I was also there with Seteca watching PG and Co. and they were AWESOME!! I hope this is a misunderstanding or something.

madformac 12-22-2003 07:50 PM

!!!

It's a total shock.....

Maybe the fact that Splinter Group have become so much bigger, DVD, US Tour etc has affected him. Also the mass attention at Earls Court might have tipped the balance a little too.

It's a real shame but as long as Peter is happy and it's his own choice I wish him well. I would rather he stopped touring and recording than to lose him again....

I just hope Peter is safe and well wherever he is....

:( :(

fleetfootmike 12-23-2003 04:25 AM

Re: !!!

Quote:

Originally posted by madformac
It's a total shock.....
I can't put my finger on it, but something about this just feels wrong, and I can't explain it.

Here's the announcement, anyway, just in case it gets removed from the official site.

"LAST WEEK A LETTER FROM PETER GREEN'S LEGAL GUARDIANS, THE PUBLIC GUARDIANSHIP OFFICE, AND APPARENTLY SIGNED BY PETER GREEN, WAS SENT TO THE OTHER FOUR MEMBERS OF SPLINTER GROUP, TRANSMEDIA742.NET, AND LPO, THE BAND'S EUROPEAN AGENT. THE LETTER ANNOUNCED PETER'S INTENTION TO RESIGN FROM SPLINTER GROUP WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT. AS ALL OF THE BAND MEMBERS HAD, OF COURSE, BEEN ON TOUR WITH PETER SINCE OCTOBER 22ND, TO SAY THAT THIS ANNOUNCEMENT CAME TOTALLY OUT OF THE BLUE IS A HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT, ESPECIALLY AS HE HAD BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE AMERICAN TOUR AND RECORDING PROJECT WITH GREAT ENTHUSIASM. THE CONFUSION OVER THE SITUATION WAS FURTHER COMPOUNDED WHEN IT BECAME CLEAR THAT PETER WAS NOT AT HOME ( HE STILL HASN'T BEEN CONTACTED ) AND THAT THE PUBLIC GUARDIANSHIP OFFICE WERE NOT PREPARED TO DISCLOSE HIS WHEREABOUTS. ENQUIRIES TO THE P.G.O CONFIRMED THAT PETER WOULD NOT BE TAKING PART IN THE AMERICAN TOUR WHICH WAS SCHEDULED TO START ON JANUARY 21ST, AND THAT THE TOUR WOULD THUS HAVE TO BE CANCELLED. THE FATE OF FUTURE PROJECTS SUCH AS THE "BLUES DON'T CHANGE 2" CD AND THE PROPOSED UK / EUROPEAN TOUR FOR APRIL / MAY 2004 IS STILL UNCLEAR."

fleetfootmike 12-23-2003 04:28 AM

Re: Re: !!!

Quote:

Originally posted by fleetfootmike
Here's the announcement, anyway, just in case it gets removed from the official site.
For those wondering who the heck the Public Guardianship Office are, I quote from their site:

"The PGO provides financial protection services for clients who are not able to manage their financial affairs because of mental incapacity. The incapacity may be related to an illness suffered by some older people (e.g.dementia), or the result of an accident or negligence (brain injury) or of mental illness (schizophrenia). We are here to support the families and advisers of the person who is incapable, often after someone has applied to the Court of Protection to manage the incapacitated person's financial affairs."

http://www.publictrust.gov.uk/

Phil Lee 12-23-2003 07:19 AM

It is worth noting that the PGO is a UK Government body.

Mario 12-23-2003 11:33 AM

Hello everybody.

I rang Martin Celmins, about one hour ago and I can only say that they found Peter and at the moment Martin is looking after him.

More details soon.

Mario.

chiliD 12-23-2003 12:01 PM

"...found him...",
"...looking after him"??

:confused:

Sounds like bad news in regards to Peter's mental health.

F*CK!

Shades of Jeremy's disappearance & Danny's recent, if not current, condition, I'm afraid.

F*CK!

:distress: :distress: :distress: :distress:

fleetfootmike 12-23-2003 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chiliD
Danny's recent, if not current, condition
Sidetracking a little - am I missing some news re Danny?

chiliD 12-23-2003 12:14 PM

Nah.

Celmins had stated in the Q&A here (a year or so ago) that Danny was starting to play again. Kind of took it as the similar "baby steps" of the on the road to recovery that Peter took in 94/95. No more recent news on Danny has been reported...therefore, my supposition.

Gypsy-Rhiannon 12-23-2003 12:15 PM

This is worrying news. Peter looked so well when I saw him backstage in London

Pip

chiliD 12-23-2003 12:22 PM

When I first met him in 2000, I met a very together guy...didn't see where any of the "space cadet" descriptions came from. When I had the opportunity to cross paths with him again in 2002, he seemed even MORE confident & upbeat, both on stage & off. From the accounts I've read from people who've encountered him recently, his return to health seemed to even have grown that much more.

This news is FRIGHTFULLY disconcerting to me.

Many cheers & prayers for Peter's health from here.

Mario 12-23-2003 03:36 PM

Chili,

just like you I was and I'm still worried about Peter, but I really can't explain more as Martin really only told me "we are looking after him" and nothing more.

To me the guy seemed to be really together, happy to play and record with the Splinter Group.

The band was really "on a roll", delivering a very good show and Peter was happy with the January Usa tour and all the other future plans..........

Maybe somebody conviced him that the PGSG enviroment was taking advantages from him........the same old story.

Merry Christmas

seteca 12-23-2003 04:01 PM

I was just speaking on the phone to a friend of mine who was at the final gig on the Isle Of Wight on December 11th. He was extremely shocked by the news and he told me there was nothing spoken/seen at the final show that would even remotely hint that this could/would happen...The band played a perfect show and Peter was totally on form...

madformac 12-23-2003 04:15 PM

My thoughts

I'm just concerned about Peter's health.. The band is of no concern at this moment in time..

I love Splinter Group, one of my favorite bands actually but Peter's well being comes first and I'm sure everybody wishes him well.

Whatever Peter does from this point forward I just wish him all the best.. In the two times I've met and spoken to him he seemed one of the nicest and politest men I've ever met. A true gentleman.

:wavey: :wavey:

dansven 12-23-2003 04:31 PM

Not again!!

I hope this is not as bad as it sounds.. but I am also very worried!
Let's hope and pray that things will get better, and that the new year will bring good times.

Merry Xmas to all of you.

Daniel

Johnny Stew 12-24-2003 01:37 AM

Unfortunately that's the thing with people who battle mental illness... they can be doing wonderfully and seem to be at their best for a good long time, and then have a sudden, unexplainable breakdown. There usually aren't any visible signs whatsoever, it just happens. :(

I hope that Peter is, or will be, all right, and that he is able to "get back on his feet" again very soon (if he has indeed had some sort of breakdown, as suggested by the statements that he's been "found" and is being "taken care of").

dansven 12-24-2003 08:18 AM

Yeah I remember an interview with Peter in 1997 I think. He talked about how great it was playing again and about his mental breakdowns in the past. The interviewer said that it was good this time, when he was surrounded with friends (Nigel, Michelle, the band etc..) who supported him and wanted him all the best. Peter replied something like: "Yeah, but the thing is they won't notice a breakdown coming before it's too late."

Really sad.

Daniel

Mario 12-28-2003 01:05 PM

Hello from Italy,

I can only let all the Greeny fans know what Martin Celmins wrote me yesterday:

"Please don't worry for Peter..... I'm pretty sure that he is being well looked after and that everything wil sort itself out given time"

Mario.

seteca 12-28-2003 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mario
Hello from Italy,

I can only let all the Greeny fans know what Martin Celmins wrote me yesterday:

"Please don't worry for Peter..... I'm pretty sure that he is being well looked after and that everything wil sort itself out given time"

Mario.

Thanks so much for the update, Mario.

It's good to know that he is "being well looked after", but I'm not exactly jumping for joy at this news - it still sounds like something pretty serious has happened. I really wish the official website would give some more information.

Mario 12-28-2003 02:30 PM

Sadly enough, I don't know what really happened...

This is only my guess work:

1- The whole PGSP matter is becoming too big with dvd, European-Uk and Usa tours, many recordings projects and Peter felt unconfortable with it......too many pressures.....the same old story

2-Somebody conviced Peter that Nigel and his associates are taking advantages from him and then decided to quit the band

3-Since Peter became ill, his legal guardians and the PGO (Public Guardianship Office) should taking care of his incomes and after he came back with the Splinter Group somebody else is doing that job and in this way, that is totally illegal........

Maybe.......

dansven 12-28-2003 06:19 PM

Yeah, thank for the info, Mario

We relly appreciate your updates! I agree that the official web site should give more information.

Daniel

wondergirl9847 12-29-2003 11:43 AM

Sad

Thank you so much for keeping us updated on Peter. Wish the news was better and I really hope that he is being taken care of and not advantage of. :(

God, be with Peter....

fleetfootmike 12-30-2003 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mario
Somebody conviced Peter that Nigel and his associates are taking advantages from him and then decided to quit the band
I lean towards this one, for some reason. Unfortunately.

madformac 12-30-2003 03:35 PM

Hmm

Quote:

Originally posted by fleetfootmike
I lean towards this one, for some reason. Unfortunately.
I get the same feeling for some reason....

:shrug:

wetcamelfood 12-30-2003 07:53 PM

Re: Hmm

Quote:

Originally posted by madformac
I get the same feeling for some reason....

:shrug:

Me too, sadly.

John

chiliD 01-02-2004 11:57 AM

Anyone else notice the MORE THAN COINCIDENTAL happenings of Peter meeting with Mick at a FMac show and then less than a month later, Peter's gone from the PGSG? Just a little too fishy for my "conspiracy theory" type mind.

Mario 01-02-2004 01:23 PM

Hello Chili,

it's possible that you are right, it's something Mick always said, to be playing with Peter again.

Also Peter is still scheduled to play at the Royal Albert Hall next March, 15 2004 along with Eric Clapton, Bill Wyman and others..

Martin told me that "in a long run it will be better for Peter"... so maybe this was a planned move.........

Maybe....

Mario.

chiliD 01-02-2004 04:59 PM

Maybe my long-fantasied album will finally become reality...

...a collaboration between Peter Green & (soon-to-be) SIR Eric "Slowhand" Clapton.

seteca 01-02-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chiliD
Anyone else notice the MORE THAN COINCIDENTAL happenings of Peter meeting with Mick at a FMac show and then less than a month later, Peter's gone from the PGSG? Just a little too fishy for my "conspiracy theory" type mind.
Definitely. 15,000+ people paying close to £100 to see the band that he created, followed by a long conversation with Mick after (and possibly before) the show about......well....God knows what, but I don't have any trouble guessing.:rolleyes:

I would say yea, definitely more than a coincidence.

madformac 01-02-2004 06:40 PM

Haha,

To be honest it was THE first thing I thought of.... We all know Mick and he's a very old friend of Peter's......

I wasn't going to be the one to post it!!!!

But as Chili has gone in and said it I have to say as soon as I saw the announcment of Peter's leaving I had Pip's picture of Peter and Mick at Earls Court in my head... Hmmmmm.............

We wait for news.......

:wavey: :wavey:

p.s Peter Green and Eric Clapton playing together..... now THATS a nice thought!!!

dansven 01-03-2004 11:01 AM

The first thing I thought when I read the headline on the official website was about Peter leaving SG was: "WOW, IS HE GOING SOLO??"

But then I thought I was a bit naive. How could he do it? As far I know he hasn't written any new material since joining SG. And you can't build your career on covering old blues classics (But I DO think that he does it excellent, and that "Blues Don't Change" is a good album).

However, SG seems like a stable, supporting setting for him. And if he decides to leave them, I hope he is strong enough to be on his own.

I read an interview with Mick Fleetwood in Record Collector about their recent "Say You Will" album and tour. He was asked if he ever considered recording a pure blues album. He then answered that when the tour was over, he and John McVie wanted to record a blues album with maybe Jeremy Spencer and others...

And Peter !?!? --- I DO HOPE!!

I still think that we, the fans, deserve more than just sitting here trying to guess what has really happened!!

Daniel

chiliD 01-03-2004 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dansven
And you can't build your career on covering old blues classics
1) I think Peter is FAR beyond "building a career" , he's a blues LEGEND

2) That's what Peter originally did back in 1966. So did Buddy Guy, BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Eric Clapton, Mike Bloomfield, John Mayall, The Rolling Stones (among more than I can mention), too. It CAN be done...and done often.

Mario 01-03-2004 05:09 PM

Hello again,

concerning the lack of original material, then I can say (and this is a confirmed thing) that some time ago, about the same time "Destiny Road" came out, Peter's brother Michael wrote an album worth of songs for Peter.

They recorded some demos and as far as I'm concerned (Martin himself confirmed) Peter's playing was totally different to what he was/is doing with the SG.

Far and away more upfront and improvising, very close to what he could do back in the Mac's days.

On the negative side, then I don't believe Peter can really built a new band by himself........and the show at the Royal Albert Hall will be something like Bill Wyman band backing some guest, including Chris Rea, Eric Clapton and Peter Green; difficult say if Eric and Peter planned to record together..........I truly believe that's it's far and away more possible something like a studio reunion of Mac's original line-up to record a totally blues album........maybe with Christine on keyboards. Mick Fleetwood very often talked about it and in the dvd interview Martin Celmins did with J.Spencer this is cleary mentioned.

And I think if this will happen, then after this Peter will be back to the Splinter Group

Sorry for my average English...

Mario.

dansven 01-03-2004 07:42 PM

Hi again!

ChiliD:
1) I was referring to the possibility for Peter going solo, starting a new project entirely on his own. Maybe "career" wasn't the right word but I feel that a step like that would require some original material. SG has this with its three songwriters, Nigel, Roger and Stroudie.

2)Things were quite different in the 60s.. Clapton, The Stones, Mayall, BB - all are legends. However, they deliver their own material today, for example Claptons "Reptile" album.

Mario:
Yeah, I heard about the demos with Peter's brother. I would love to hear it. Michael has proved his abilities as a songwriter before. Although a troubled period for Peter, his albums in the late 70s and 80s have strong material on them.

I also know that Rory Gallagher's brother, Donal, has asked if Peter was interested to put music to some of his lyrics. I don't know if anything has happened though.. Peter has also mentioned the material that is ledt from the "End Of The Game" sessions of 1970, and that he thought of doing some new overdubs on it now and maybe release some of it. Now that would have been something!! "The End Of The Game II"!!

By the way, I see that the "Peter Green leaves SG..." message on the official website is no longer there...

Daniel

Mario 01-04-2004 06:01 AM

Yes,

about "The End Of The Game" I can confirm that Peter wanted to hear the whole session, but, as far as I know, nobody knows where the original master tapes are!

Also, as the "Peter Green leaves" is not longer available on the PGSG, I think we will have news shortly.

Mario.