The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Juliet - 1986 demo (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60295)

Macfan4life 03-24-2024 05:10 PM

Juliet - 1986 demo

Now this is something. Stevie singing and the keyboards only. At the end Stevie says its wonderful and she is so smart ! :laugh:

I can see Lindsey rolling his eyes on this one :shocked:
I would have taken this over whatsa matta baby :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSXyeyHH90

Oooh My Love
I was always intrigues how rough her voice was for this demo. I think the issue was that because she was not there much Lindsey had no time to really craft these relatively primitive demos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW34YriJu8M

jbrownsjr 03-27-2024 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293068)
Now this is something. Stevie singing and the keyboards only. At the end Stevie says its wonderful and she is so smart ! :laugh:

Oooh My Love
I was always intrigues how rough her voice was for this demo. I think the issue was that because she was not there much Lindsey had no time to really craft these relatively primitive demos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW34YriJu8M

This was so painful, Tony and I had the same thought, "Can you imagine Christine's face?"

BigAl84 03-27-2024 08:18 AM

....yet there are a lot of fans who think she should release a compilation of her demos because they're such brilliant pieces of work that are often better than the finished product.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2l...C7jM/giphy.gif

jbrownsjr 03-27-2024 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1293106)
....yet there are a lot of fans who think she should release a compilation of her demos because they're such brilliant pieces of work that are often better than the finished product.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2l...C7jM/giphy.gif

Especially, the demos where nobody helped her put it together. :laugh:

HomerMcvie 03-27-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293108)
Especially, the demos where nobody helped her put it together. :laugh:

Hey now, $he's a genius!

Said no one ever...

Villavic 03-27-2024 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1293106)

But about Fleetwood Mac demos, alternative versions, etc., I did enjoy the deluxe and expanded editions where we could hear well known songs with different arrangements, lyrics, etc. Specially since the lack of new albums or the dissapointing new material (at least to me): Say You Will and specially the 2013 EP.

BigAl84 03-27-2024 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1293110)
But about Fleetwood Mac demos, alternative versions, etc., I did enjoy the deluxe and expanded editions where we could hear well known songs with different arrangements, lyrics, etc. Specially since the lack of new albums or the dissapointing new material (at least to me): Say You Will and specially the 2013 EP.

Oh I really enjoy all of the alternate takes and demos in the Fleetwood Mac world!

jbrownsjr 03-27-2024 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1293110)

They are fun for that reason. Like imagining Christine's face listening to that demo.

Macfan4life 03-27-2024 11:45 AM

Juliet is fun in a demo kind of way.

Ooh My Love she does not sound well. She sounds drunk and her vocals are fried worse than anything on RAL. If she dropped this on the band before rehab no wonder Lindsey was like.....give us anything else. That explains why duds like Welcome to the room Sara and Whatsa matta baby made the album. These were the alternatives :lol:

jbrownsjr 03-27-2024 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293113)
Juliet is fun in a demo kind of way.

Ooh My Love she does not sound well. She sounds drunk and her vocals are fried worse than anything on RAL. If she dropped this on the band before rehab no wonder Lindsey was like.....give us anything else. That explains why duds like Welcome to the room Sara and Whatsa matta baby made the album. These were the alternatives :lol:

It's like a BOOK OF MIRACLES!!!

Macfan4life 03-27-2024 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293114)
It's like a BOOK OF MIRACLES!!!

The sky is crying!!

jbrownsjr 03-27-2024 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293115)
The sky is crying!!

No! The sky is a blue lamp. w/ Ribbons and bows.

Macfan4life 03-27-2024 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293116)
No! The sky is a blue lamp. w/ Ribbons and bows.

You're a little bit like her...

jbrownsjr 03-27-2024 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293117)
You're a little bit like her...

Well, that's a hard one to tell.

Macfan4life 03-28-2024 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293118)
Well, that's a hard one to tell.

Cry and the wind says fly on

Mr Scarrott 03-28-2024 10:36 AM

I managed to get to 3:19 and then had to stop. It was the same sort of feeling that time had slowed down and that I was drifring in a black hole of despair that I last felt when I listened to Lizard People.

jbrownsjr 03-28-2024 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1293124)
I managed to get to 3:19 and then had to stop. It was the same sort of feeling that time had slowed down and that I was drifring in a black hole of despair that I last felt when I listened to Lizard People.

I almost ripped my speakers out of the computer. :laugh:

David 03-28-2024 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293068)

I like her on drugs. But I don’t like her on this many drugs.

Macfan4life 03-28-2024 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1293132)
I like her on drugs. But I don’t like her on this many drugs.

Second verse!

jbrownsjr 03-28-2024 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293133)
Second verse!

Imagine Christine's face when she said, "2nd verse" :lol:

Macfan4life 03-28-2024 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293134)
Imagine Christine's face when she said, "2nd verse" :lol:

I want to know who was responsible for turning these two turds into fairly good songs on her next solo album. She sounds like a strung out crack head singing ooh my love here. On OSOTM its one of the best songs on the album.
Rubert Hine is a genius or someone in her band gave her amazing tracks.

jbrownsjr 03-28-2024 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293135)
I want to know who was responsible for turning these two turds into fairly good songs on her next solo album. She sounds like a strung out crack head singing ooh my love here. On OSOTM its one of the best songs on the album.
Rubert Hine is a genius or someone in her band gave her amazing tracks.

Agreed, I love Juliet. Ohhh my love, not so much.. but after hearing the demo.. I might like it better.

Macfan4life 03-28-2024 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293136)
Agreed, I love Juliet. Ohhh my love, not so much.. but after hearing the demo.. I might like it better.

I want to know if Lindsey did the track Book of Miracles for Juliet but hated her singing and scrapped it and thought the musical track was worth keeping. If that is the case, did she not rip off Lindsey for OSOTM? Bruce Horsby already had a track to go by.

Can you get into that?

Ooh My Love is completely different and quite a good track. I thought it should have been her second single.

bombaysaffires 03-28-2024 04:09 PM

Her lyrics on Juliet and the musical track just don't mix well for me. Lots of words and interesting enough story but the way they have to be sort of shoe horned into that track is not great. At least Oooh My Love has a nice groove to it..... If she was a better musician she could have taken those lyrics to juliet and written a better accompaniment for it. :shrug: As it is she waits for someone to give her some kind of track to paste lyrics onto.

Macfan4life 03-28-2024 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1293138)
Her lyrics on Juliet and the musical track just don't mix well for me. Lots of words and interesting enough story but the way they have to be sort of shoe horned into that track is not great. At least Oooh My Love has a nice groove to it..... If she was a better musician she could have taken those lyrics to juliet and written a better accompaniment for it. :shrug: As it is she waits for someone to give her some kind of track to paste lyrics onto.

She tries hard to tell the story but it's a hard one to tell

jbrownsjr 03-28-2024 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293137)
I want to know if Lindsey did the track Book of Miracles for Juliet but hated her singing and scrapped it and thought the musical track was worth keeping. If that is the case, did she not rip off Lindsey for OSOTM? Bruce Horsby already had a track to go by.

Can you get into that?

Ooh My Love is completely different and quite a good track. I thought it should have been her second single.

I'm pretty sure LB did write the instrumental track. Book of Miracles ended up as a B side. (Maybe to Everywhere) I forget.

I remember his name in the writing credits.

Macfan4life 03-28-2024 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293140)
I'm pretty sure LB did write the instrumental track. Book of Miracles ended up as a B side. (Maybe to Everywhere) I forget.

I remember his name in the writing credits.

Thats what I thought too. Not a coincidence that "book of miracles" appears in the lyrics to Juliet. Lindsey was really grasping at straws with what he had to work with in Stevie songs. This would have been the album to do the old demos that were shelved on earlier albums. But I suppose she wanted to impressed the band and submit new stuff.
What do you think she meant at the end when she says "I did not play, I did not play, I am so smart."

jbrownsjr 03-28-2024 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293141)
Thats what I thought too. Not a coincidence that "book of miracles" appears in the lyrics to Juliet. Lindsey was really grasping at straws with what he had to work with in Stevie songs. This would have been the album to do the old demos that were shelved on earlier albums. But I suppose she wanted to impressed the band and submit new stuff.
What do you think she meant at the end when she says "I did not play, I did not play, I am so smart."

You're gonna make me listen to that again??? :(:laugh:

BrownEyedGirl26 03-28-2024 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293142)
You're gonna make me listen to that again??? :(:laugh:

Hi jbrownsjr, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about this version. I'm not a fan of the monotone way she sings this version but I like the finished version on OSOTM.:)

jbrownsjr 03-29-2024 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 (Post 1293144)
Hi jbrownsjr, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about this version. I'm not a fan of the monotone way she sings this version but I like the finished version on OSOTM.:)

I quite like the finished version. Not a lot of folks like that album, but I love OSOTM.

Macfan4life 03-29-2024 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293145)
I quite like the finished version. Not a lot of folks like that album, but I love OSOTM.

Me too. There are definitely duds on the album. But IMHO it was such a HUGE step up from RAL. Its a brutally honest album and her early klonopin days let her reveal so much. I agree with Stevie that it is a magic album.

BTW, I've decided. I want this demo version of Juliet to be played at my funeral with no explanation given as loud as possible.

SECOND VERSE!

Stevie ditching rehab 2 days early and comparing the experience to prison and escaping from the police state of West Germany is beyond brilliant. For the first time in her life people told her what to do and she could not handle it. Had she stayed and completed a successful treatment could have prevented the klonopin years. It was because of her leaving early and calling the experience "really dumb" and firing her management company over it is what gave her friends concern she would relapse. Most rehab songs are positive but hers is so dark and brutal how can anyone not like it.

I will never forget the MTV music news break with Martha Quin who started with "Stevie Nicks, not talking to anyone" (Clearly a Talk To Me reference). Stevie checked in to Betty Ford for a 30 day stint but left after 28 days calling the experience "really dumb."
More music news later on MTV

BigAl84 03-29-2024 09:59 AM

but of course, for the past 20 years she spun it as the heroic experience that saved her life, glossing over the reality of what actually happened.

jbrownsjr 03-29-2024 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1293146)
Me too. There are definitely duds on the album. But IMHO it was such a HUGE step up from RAL. Its a brutally honest album and her early klonopin days let her reveal so much. I agree with Stevie that it is a magic album.

BTW, I've decided. I want this demo version of Juliet to be played at my funeral with no explanation given as loud as possible.

SECOND VERSE!

Stevie ditching rehab 2 days early and comparing the experience to prison and escaping from the police state of West Germany is beyond brilliant. For the first time in her life people told her what to do and she could not handle it. Had she stayed and completed a successful treatment could have prevented the klonopin years. It was because of her leaving early and calling the experience "really dumb" and firing her management company over it is what gave her friends concern she would relapse. Most rehab songs are positive but hers is so dark and brutal how can anyone not like it.

I will never forget the MTV music news break with Martha Quin who started with "Stevie Nicks, not talking to anyone" (Clearly a Talk To Me reference). Stevie checked in to Betty Ford for a 30 day stint but left after 28 days calling the experience "really dumb."
More music news later on MTV

Why did she call it "dumb". I always thought she respected rehab.

BigAl84 03-29-2024 10:13 AM

LOL you know what was really "dumb"? Having your friend take the same amount of pills you currently take and see what happens. F*ck around and find out, it will be great!

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2l...nX4C/giphy.gif

jbrownsjr 03-29-2024 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1293149)
LOL you know what was really "dumb"? Having your friend take the same amount of pills you currently take and see what happens. F*ck around and find out, it will be great!

God I love your humor, BigAl.

Macfan4life 03-29-2024 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293148)
Why did she call it "dumb". I always thought she respected rehab.

She could not stand to be there and had to give some excuse for leaving early. She never wanted to go and resented the fact that her management company pretty much forced her to go. But starting with Mick's book and beyond is a picture painted that she completed a successful stint at rehab and it was her evil friends and evil doctor that got her hooked on another drug. Perhaps if she really did do a successful stint she would not have allowed herself to substitute one drug for another. She portrays herself as a victim for being forced into Betty Ford. Then she is a heroine for supposedly completing treatment and then a victim again by evil-doers who forced her on tranquilizers and kept upping her dose.
For Scarlett of course!

HomerMcvie 03-29-2024 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1293149)

What's truly amazeballs is that someone SO DUMB(because she truly is), managed to go so far in the music business(I almost said "in life"- but she hasn't done THAT- only in music). I guess being someone the entire world wanted to F$#% for a few years paid off. I mean, come on, she hasn't released anything of real substance for 41 years?

jbrownsjr 03-29-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1293152)
What's truly amazeballs is that someone SO DUMB(because she truly is), managed to go so far in the music business(I almost said "in life"- but she hasn't done THAT- only in music). I guess being someone the entire world wanted to F$#% for a few years paid off. I mean, come on, she hasn't released anything of real substance for 41 years?

Not so dumb, but she had a lot of luck. The Farrah Faucet era, really went far back then.

Christine stayed in her lane, and still passed away with millions.

LB much of the same, but I think he wanted the bigger lane. He out "smarted" himself, which was just as dumb. Know your audience.

BigAl84 03-29-2024 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1293153)
Not so dumb, but she had a lot of luck. The Farrah Faucet era, really went far back then.

Christine stayed in her lane, and still passed away with millions.

LB much of the same, but I think he wanted the bigger lane. He out "smarted" himself, which was just as dumb. Know your audience.

Lindsey should have made an album with Christine in '87 while the rest of the lot sobered up. It would have saved him an entire decade of turmoil and BS. It probably would have gone over (with Stevie) about as well as it did in 2017.

jbrownsjr 03-29-2024 12:57 PM

Say what you will, about Goat, she's worked harder than any of them.

Anyone that has toured or sat in a studio knows this.