The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One More Night (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60279)

BLY 03-02-2024 09:42 PM

One More Night

I really do love of all of Christine McVie’s songs but my least favorite song of hers is probably this track. Does anyone feel the opposite?

HomerMcvie 03-02-2024 09:47 PM

It's definitely at the bottom of the list.

WatchChain 03-02-2024 10:43 PM

Did Warner Brothers have plans to release a radio single from the 1980 "Fleetwood Mac Live" album? If so, would it have been "One More Night"?

Most live albums released in that day included a single release. I'm surprised this one didn't.

HomerMcvie 03-03-2024 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1292639)
Did Warner Brothers have plans to release a radio single from the 1980 "Fleetwood Mac Live" album? If so, would it have been "One More Night"?

Most live albums released in that day included a single release. I'm surprised this one didn't.

I would have assumed Fireflies.

aleuzzi 03-03-2024 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1292637)
I really do love of all of Christine McVie’s songs but my least favorite song of hers is probably this track. Does anyone feel the opposite?

I would have agreed with you until I heard the demo. That version is to my way of thinking WAYYYYYYYYYY better than the one that ended up on Fleetwood Mac Live.

It's everything I ever wanted from a Christine solo album, just her at the piano. The kind of tune you might find on a Laura Nyro album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx8UZgg5TtI

It was the first thing I listened to when I learned of her death.

Macfan4life 03-03-2024 05:39 AM

It was always one of my least favorites. But many moons ago it grew on me. The way she is throwing her voice is rare for her and I love it. Its a very sincere song too.
She does not like sleeping alone ;)

Villavic 03-03-2024 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1292637)

I do like the song. I wouldn't say opposite cause it's not within my top fave list, but I enjoy listening it.

And yes the demo version aleuzzi shared here is beatiful.

It's funny how we all have different tastes. I've read in this forum many people like Only Over You. Well I like One More Night far more than OOY.

FuzzyPlum 03-03-2024 09:57 AM

Not necessarily her best. But it’s nice. Yes, it plods a bit, but so too, there are certain parts that give me shivers.
She never goes below a 6/10.

bombaysaffires 03-03-2024 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292643)
I would have assumed Fireflies.

Fireflies was released as a single. I've still got the 45. It went nowhere.
The other single was Farmer's Daughter. That didn't chart well either.

maybe Chris and Stevie got new songs tacked onto the Live album since Lindsey hogged most of Tusk??

HomerMcvie 03-03-2024 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1292661)
Fireflies was released as a single. I've still got the 45. It went nowhere.
The other single was Farmer's Daughter. That didn't chart well either.

maybe Chris and Stevie got new songs tacked onto the Live album since Lindsey hogged most of Tusk??

I still have my 45s. I might have that in there. I'll check later.

Lindsey's songs were half as long as Chris and Goatsy's.

jbrownsjr 03-04-2024 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292665)

And that's enough for me.

aleuzzi 03-04-2024 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292665)
I still have my 45s. I might have that in there. I'll check later.

As an individual songwriter, Christine got the least space. One thing I dislike about Tusk is that we wait what feels like an eternity between Think About Me and Brown Eyes. An additional song should have appeared on side two.

jbrownsjr 03-04-2024 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1292672)
As an individual songwriter, Christine got the least space. One thing I dislike about Tusk is that we wait what feels like an eternity between Think About Me and Brown Eyes. An additional song should have appeared on side two.

I agree with this. Mirage and Tango changed that a bit. Her Tusk songs seem buried.

I always felt that Lindsey didn't know what he had until Tango. By that time, he was leaving.

HomerMcvie 03-04-2024 10:46 AM

Okay, I just went through my 45s. No Fireflies. Here's the poop.
Rhiannon/Sugar Daddy
Think About Me/Save Me A Place
Edge of 17/Live Edge of 17
John Stewart Gold

That's all the FM 45s I've got. I always bought the albums the day they were released, so why would I buy 45s?

And unrelated, I don't remember being a Bee Gees fan, but f*ck me, I've got like 20 of their 45s. In my defense, I think some of them may have been my older cousin's, who lived with us when she was in high school. That must be it, because I've always been annoyed by falsetto singers.

jbrownsjr 03-04-2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1292647)
I would have agreed with you until I heard the demo. That version is to my way of thinking WAYYYYYYYYYY better than the one that ended up on Fleetwood Mac Live.

It's everything I ever wanted from a Christine solo album, just her at the piano. The kind of tune you might find on a Laura Nyro album.

Wow, it sounds so good on my "echo studios!!" You've heard them from the Perfect clips I've sent over. :wavey:

aleuzzi 03-04-2024 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1292682)
Wow, it sounds so good on my "echo studios!!" You've heard them from the Perfect clips I've sent over. :wavey:

Yeah, her vocal on that demo is bonkers good

jbrownsjr 03-05-2024 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1292685)
Yeah, her vocal on that demo is bonkers good

I'm addicted to this version.

blinker12 03-05-2024 04:27 PM

My favorite part of this song is the bridge or middle eight… “You may come home one morning and find she’s not sleeping alone…” The rise of the piano chords there against the melody is gorgeous.

The demo is great but I like that the released version repeats this bit a second time, “If you want her, better get her now…”

BLY 03-05-2024 07:31 PM

I think what would have made this track better would have been having Stevie and Lindsey’s background vocals more prominent. Their harmonies during this period was so amazing.

bombaysaffires 03-06-2024 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie (Post 1292676)
Okay, I just went through my 45s. No Fireflies. Here's the poop.
Rhiannon/Sugar Daddy
Think About Me/Save Me A Place
Edge of 17/Live Edge of 17
John Stewart Gold

That's all the FM 45s I've got. I always bought the albums the day they were released, so why would I buy 45s?

And unrelated, I don't remember being a Bee Gees fan, but f*ck me, I've got like 20 of their 45s. In my defense, I think some of them may have been my older cousin's, who lived with us when she was in high school. That must be it, because I've always been annoyed by falsetto singers.

I dug out all my old albums and 45s over the summer clearing out my parents' house. One day I'll take some pics and post them here. I've got 'em all.

Villavic 03-08-2024 11:44 AM

Just this morning it's been 4 times I've heard the demo so far. I'm falling in love with this version.

I wonder where and when this demo was recorded. First thought it was during Tusk sessions, since the Live album was released just finishing the tour. But in that case why they didn't include in the Deluxe or Expanded releases.

And her voice sounds so young it makes me think it was recorder years before.

David 03-08-2024 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1292754)
I wonder where and when this demo was recorded. First thought it was during Tusk sessions, since the Live album was released just finishing the tour. But in that case why they didn't include in the Deluxe or Expanded releases.

And her voice sounds so young it makes me think it was recorder years before.

It’s not a demo. The band played this live at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Details are sketchy. They did a couple of days at the venue on Sept. 3 and 4, 1980, just a few days after their final night of the tour. Lord knows why they did these two extra days — “for crew and friends,” the album says, though why the crew needed to hear the band play two more times after being on the road with them for a year, only the crew could say. So they played these two “shows” or whatever they were, recording “One More Night,” “Fireflies,” and “Farmer’s Daughter” several times, and I don’t know whether they played a full set or an evening full of blues or showtunes or what. Maybe the plan was to film something for TV or prepare a live album (at the time, the plan was to release the show on Sept. 1 as a two-LP live album). Maybe the plan was to add post-production to the very raw live tracks, like “Sara” and “Over and Over.”

The guy to ask would be Biff Dawes, who recorded the two days. He may be on Instagram or FB.

bombaysaffires 03-08-2024 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1292760)
It’s not a demo. The band played this live at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Details are sketchy. They did a couple of days at the venue on Sept. 3 and 4, 1980, just a few days after their final night of the tour. Lord knows why they did these two extra days — “for crew and friends,” the album says, though why the crew needed to hear the band play two more times after being on the road with them for a year, only the crew could say. So they played these two “shows” or whatever they were, recording “One More Night,” “Fireflies,” and “Farmer’s Daughter” several times, and I don’t know whether they played a full set or an evening full of blues or showtunes or what. Maybe the plan was to film something for TV or prepare a live album (at the time, the plan was to release the show on Sept. 1 as a two-LP live album). Maybe the plan was to add post-production to the very raw live tracks, like “Sara” and “Over and Over.”

The guy to ask would be Biff Dawes, who recorded the two days. He may be on Instagram or FB.

the vocal on Fireflies is an overdub. Lindsey did a guide vocal with the band, and she recorded over it.

I thought I could find the LB only one easily but still searching my files. Might be on my old computer. Here is a version with Stevie and Lindsey both doing lead, with Stevie dubs. Pieces of this version made it to the final mix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPhedT6lHzY

Villavic 03-08-2024 06:10 PM

Quote:

Yes I know that, but I was talking about the version aleuzzi shared and mentioned it's a demo, and it's far different from the Live album version:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1292647)

WatchChain 03-08-2024 11:12 PM

Quote:

Maybe the plan was to add post-production to the very raw live tracks, like “Sara” and “Over and Over.”

Does the Fleetwood Mac Live album from 1980 have overdubbed studio vocals added? Some of the "live" versions on the album sound a little too sharp, crisp, and clean. The background vocals on "Sara" and "Dreams" are near perfect - and the band didn't sound exactly like this in concert.

If so - when were these overdubs and studio vocal work completed?
It seems the band quickly rushed off to various solo projects at the conclusion of the Tusk tour in 1980.

soul_drifter333 03-08-2024 11:32 PM

The deluxe Live box set has a bonus 45 vinyl single that is labeled demo for both One More and Fireflies. It's only available in the box set and only on vinyl that I know of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1292763)
Yes I know that, but I was talking about the version aleuzzi shared and mentioned it's a demo, and it's far different from the Live album version:

Macfan4life 03-09-2024 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1292768)
Does the Fleetwood Mac Live album from 1980 have overdubbed studio vocals added? Some of the "live" versions on the album sound a little too sharp, crisp, and clean. The background vocals on "Sara" and "Dreams" are near perfect - and the band didn't sound exactly like this in concert.

It seems the band quickly rushed off to various solo projects at the conclusion of the Tusk tour in 1980.

Yes Sara was definitely touched with vocals for the album. I don't know about others.

Villavic 03-09-2024 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 (Post 1292769)
The deluxe Live box set has a bonus 45 vinyl single that is labeled demo for both One More and Fireflies. It's only available in the box set and only on vinyl that I know of.

That's why I didn't find it. At the release moment I had checked digital editions of Live Deluxe (I still have iTunes :o ) and only included a Fireflies long version remix. But now I can find this OMN version, not in the Deluxe Live edition but in a "Demos Singles" album, that only have Fireflies and One More Night demos.

soul_drifter333 03-09-2024 12:26 PM

Good to know. I'm old, old school and usually don't purchase digital downloads unless I can't find it any other way. I've never liked iTunes because they put everything in their own format and claim that they still own the music even though you have purchased it. I guess Amazon does the same thing now too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1292775)
That's why I didn't find it. At the release moment I had checked digital editions of Live Deluxe (I still have iTunes :o ) and only included a Fireflies long version remix. But now I can find this OMN version, not in the Deluxe Live edition but in a "Demos Singles" album, that only have Fireflies and One More Night demos.

bombaysaffires 03-09-2024 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchChain (Post 1292768)

Yes, lots of them. :(

HomerMcvie 03-09-2024 04:57 PM

I've always suspected that the guitar on Sara was overdubs.

Macfan4life 03-10-2024 05:45 AM

The Live album is full of mysteries. Some songs overdubbed while they include a version of Don't Stop where Lindsey breaks a string at the end? That was the best version of Don't Stop they had? Also many of the dates are wrong where the songs were recorded. Many of the songs like Rhiannon were from the Rumours tour. I can see why they included them because its the best version but why not include the real recorded date and location? Wasn't Don't Let Me Down again from the 1975 tour?

I prefer the live album version of One More Lonely Night. I get that small venue vibe almost like she's singing at a piano bar. The rawness of the live song adds more depth IMHO. However I would have scrapped it along with Farmers Daughter and Fireflies for The Chain and a Tusk Sisters.

Villavic 03-10-2024 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1292795)
The Live album is full of mysteries.

Yes, the mystery is HOW they decided the track listing. Though not so mysterious is WHO. According to Mick he was the only one who at the end of Tusk tour he "strongly felt there had to be a live document of the band at this point". And "both John McVie and Lindsey Buckingham thought it was a negative move". So probably he was the one who together with the record company(?) define the track listing. Probably he wanted to show it as a last tour product, so they described the songs with Tusk tour datyes, but to me it's a mystery why they included sound check or rehearsal tracks, and how the rest of the band participated in the final decision knowing some data was false.

HomerMcvie 03-10-2024 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1292797)
Yes, the mystery is HOW they decided the track listing. Though not so mysterious is WHO. According to Mick he was the only one who at the end of Tusk tour he "strongly felt there had to be a live document of the band at this point". And "both John McVie and Lindsey Buckingham thought it was a negative move". So probably he was the one who together with the record company(?) define the track listing. Probably he wanted to show it as a last tour product, so they described the songs with Tusk tour datyes, but to me it's a mystery why they included sound check or rehearsal tracks, and how the rest of the band participated in the final decision knowing some data was false.

While I do think that Mick is a card carrying IDIOT, Live is the one thing on which I agree with him. I'll never forget buying it at K-Mart, the day it was released, and ripping the cellophane wrapper off of those dual 8-tracks on the way to the car, and shoving it into the player!

BLY 03-10-2024 11:39 AM

I loved everything about the “Live” release…

1. The timing of it ( didn’t have too wait years)
2. 3 New songs
3. The “live versions” even though a bit touched up like Dance

Macfan4life 03-10-2024 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1292797)

I dont think the tracking is mysterious. The band opened with Monday Morning on the Rumours tour and with Say You Love me on another leg. So IMHO we get both openers to open the album.
Why they included a barely audible Landslide always interested me. It is a good eclectic mix of the band when they were at their best 1977 to 1980. I love it because it showcases the band as a rock band which the band shifted gears for Tusk. They did not include the Tusk singles except for Sara is another oddity. I think most would like Think About Me over Not That Funny. I am thankful Lindsey's cover of Oh Well was captured and released. IMHO its the best version. I think everyone was stoned and did not care that in 25 years the internet would be invented and people found out what they alleged to be recorded when and where was not true. Over My Head is another song from the Rumours or earlier tour. It was never performed on the Tusk tour.

jbrownsjr 03-12-2024 08:55 AM

I can't get enough of this version. It's really "tasty" as Christine would say.

David 03-13-2024 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1292802)
Over My Head is another song from the Rumours or earlier tour.

Monday Morning
Say You Love Me
Dreams
Over My Head
Rhiannon
Don’t Let Me Down Again
Don’t Stop

all predate the Tusk tour.

Then we got the deluxe set with a few more pre-Tusk:
Green Manalishi
Gold Dust Woman
Blue Letter

BigAl84 03-13-2024 12:41 PM

Do we know how/why Fireflies, One More Night, and Farmers Daughter came about? Were they working on new songs while on tour? I didn't think they workshopped a lot of material during soundchecks etc. It was always a head scratcher to me that they were coming off such a commercially successful era of touring (Rumours & Tusk) yet they put 3 completely unknown tracks onto a live album. Were they trying to come up with some sort of single to promote it with? Why were they at the Santa Monica Civic Aud for two days directly after the tour closer at the Hollywood Bowl? Were they trying to re-record some vocals in a live setting instead of a studio? Is it possible they briefly contemplated putting together a studio album of material to recoup their losses from the mismanagement of the Tusk Tour? SO. MANY. QUESTIONS!

BLY 03-13-2024 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl84 (Post 1292838)
Do we know how/why Fireflies, One More Night, and Farmers Daughter came about? Were they working on new songs while on tour? I didn't think they workshopped a lot of material during soundchecks etc. It was always a head scratcher to me that they were coming off such a commercially successful era of touring (Rumours & Tusk) yet they put 3 completely unknown tracks onto a live album. Were they trying to come up with some sort of single to promote it with? Why were they at the Santa Monica Civic Aud for two days directly after the tour closer at the Hollywood Bowl? Were they trying to re-record some vocals in a live setting instead of a studio? Is it possible they briefly contemplated putting together a studio album of material to recoup their losses from the mismanagement of the Tusk Tour? SO. MANY. QUESTIONS!

I think it was just to make the “Live” album that was only technically pulling from only 3 studio albums a bit more interesting to add some new tracks to make it more marketable.