The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Bekka picture thread (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=20136)

GateandGarden 06-19-2005 03:38 PM

The Bekka picture thread

4 Attachment(s)
I figured this was long overdue. :shrug: We have made picture threads for the other two beautiful women in the band.

And I'm sure you all have seen more pictures of Bekka than I have, as I always find when I look at threads like this that there must be some stash on the internet to which I don't have access. :laugh:

Here's what I've got. The first one is probably my favorite.

GateandGarden 06-19-2005 03:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More that I just found--

And I've noticed that her official site has some cute pics, too. Has anyone seen any others?

amber 06-19-2005 03:50 PM

She's cute. You're weird. :lol: JK. :xoxo: I'd actually never seen her before, so that was pretty cool. :)

GateandGarden 06-19-2005 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber
She's cute. You're weird. :lol: JK. :xoxo: I'd actually never seen her before, so that was pretty cool. :)

I'm weird and cute. :laugh: :lol:

Anyway, yeah, she's pretty good-looking, eh? :nod:

amber 06-19-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I'm weird and cute. :laugh: :lol:

Anyway, yeah, she's pretty good-looking, eh? :nod:

right on both counts. :cool:

macfan 57 06-19-2005 04:19 PM

Hillary,

Do you have any idea when all of those pictures are from? An approximate year maybe?

HomerMcvie 06-19-2005 04:21 PM

Bekka is so f*cking beautiful. AND talented.
I REALLY think there could've been another hit version of FM, if they'd given it a chance.

GateandGarden 06-19-2005 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber
right on both counts. :cool:

:xoxo: :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan_57
Hillary,

Do you have any idea when all of those pictures are from? An approximate year maybe?

I'm going to see if I can find out about some of them. Of course two of them are from the Time CD. Let me check back where I found some of the others.

GateandGarden 06-19-2005 04:25 PM

Okay, it looks like Bekka6 through Bekka9 are from 2002, though I'm not entirely certain. It got them from this site.

EDIT: Meant to add that I really have no clue when the others were taken.

GateandGarden 06-19-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Bekka is so f*cking beautiful. AND talented.
I REALLY think there could've been another hit version of FM, if they'd given it a chance.

Yeah, I really think she could have been a hit-maker, by herself and harmonizing with Billy. She brought a new sound to the band and it could've been big.

macfan 57 06-19-2005 04:37 PM

Quote:

Okay, it looks like Bekka6 through Bekka9 are from 2002, though I'm not entirely certain. It got them from this site.

EDIT: Meant to add that I really have no clue when the others were taken.

Thanks. :) I hadn't really seen any recent pictures of her.

She's a beautiful lady & what a voice!

ontheEdgeof17 06-19-2005 04:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I really think she could have been a hit-maker, by herself and harmonizing with Billy. She brought a new sound to the band and it could've been big.

Have you heard "One" by her? She wrote it, but Faith Hill sings it and Beks sings back up. It is a superior song....gives me chills.

GateandGarden 06-19-2005 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Have you heard "One" by her? She wrote it, but Faith Hill sings it and Beks sings back up. It is a superior song....gives me chills.

I haven't heard that. I'll try to download it sometime. Thanks. :)

SteveMacD 06-20-2005 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerMcvie

I've basically said it before, and I'll say it again, I think we have Mr. Buckingham to thank for that. I mean, doesn't anybody else find it a bit weird that "Time" was released on Oct. 10, 1995 and the movie "Twister" was released on May 10, 1996? That's only seven months. I HIGHLY suspect that "Time" was DOA.

GateandGarden 06-20-2005 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takenbythesky
(Hillary...I take it you're finished with all your work for next week, right?)

:laugh: You sound like my dad! :laugh::laugh: I still have stuff to do for Thursday, but I'm good for today. :thumbsup:

macfan 57 06-20-2005 11:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I had a little time on my hands & checked out Google. Here are some pictures of Bekka.

macfan 57 06-20-2005 11:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
And, some more....

In that last picture, she's with Todd Sharp.

macfan 57 06-20-2005 11:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
And, still more...

macfan 57 06-20-2005 11:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
This is the last batch.

GateandGarden 06-20-2005 01:52 PM

Mary Anne, you are the picture diva of The Ledge! :wavey:

Thanks!

I'm still wondering if your supply of Christine pics ever runs out! :lol: It's bottomless, isn't it? :D

I just noticed that Bekka has a really nice pair of legs, too. :nod:

SteveMacD 06-20-2005 02:16 PM

Ahhh, the days when Bonnie Bramlett (Sheridan) was on "Roseanne." Brings back some memories!

macfan 57 06-20-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

[COLOR=Indigo]Mary Anne, you are the picture diva of The Ledge! :wavey:

Thanks!

I'm still wondering if your supply of Christine pics ever runs out! :lol: It's bottomless, isn't it? :D

Every time I think I won't find any more new Christine pictures, something always seems to pop up. :laugh:

I love these picture threads. :thumbsup:

SteveMacD 06-20-2005 11:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few I found on the web, and one that I personally love!

SteveMacD 06-20-2005 11:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two more.

macfan 57 06-21-2005 05:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I found some more...

macfan 57 06-21-2005 05:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Two more...

PenguinHead 06-21-2005 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I've basically said it before, and I'll say it again, I think we have Mr. Buckingham to thank for that. I mean, doesn't anybody else find it a bit weird that "Time" was released on Oct. 10, 1995 and the movie "Twister" was released on May 10, 1996? That's only seven months. I HIGHLY suspect that "Time" was DOA.

huh???? I'm trying like hell to figure out what you are trying to hypothesize.

Lindsey Buckingham. Twister. Time DOA. How do you see these relating to each other? Where is the conspiracy?

HomerMcvie 06-21-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinHead

Lindsey Buckingham. Twister. Time DOA. How do you see these relating to each other? Where is the conspiracy?

I believe he means that although effort had been put into the Time band, Mick THEN realized that Lindsey was interested in coming back into the fold, so Time was essentially dropped like a hot potato.

chiliD 06-21-2005 03:12 PM

Quote:

... that "Time" was released on Oct. 10, 1995...

Exactly 16 years to the day that Tusk was released...and a couple of months after their 1994/95 tour ENDED...so they didn't tour to PROMOTE Time at ALL. And, in the previous 18 months, they only played TWO songs that DID appear on Time..."Dreamin' The Dream" & "Blow By Blow".

They didn't tour again until The Dance.

JazmenFlowers 06-21-2005 04:38 PM

Bekka looks a lot like Kristine W., whom I adore.

Anyone know of any boots of this era of FM? What songs did Bekka sing? Any of Stevie's?

chiliD 06-21-2005 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
Bekka looks a lot like Kristine W., whom I adore.

Anyone know of any boots of this era of FM? What songs did Bekka sing? Any of Stevie's?

There are two that I know of in circulation...
Interlaken, Switzerland in 1994
Chicago 1995

The set list for the show of theirs I saw in Van Nuys, California in Oct 1994 was (which was pretty much a typical set for the tour):

The Chain*
You Make Loving Fun*
Dreams*
Oh Well*
All Along the Watchtower
The Bigger the Love
Blow By Blow
We Just Disagree
Gold Dust Woman*
Only You Know and I Know
World Turning*
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Say You Love Me*
Don't Stop*
Go Your Own Way
Tear It Up
Imagine*

Later in the tour, they replaced their cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" with Bekka's own "Dreamin' The Dream".

* = Bekka lead vocals...she sang the "Stevie" parts in "The Chain"; alternated verses with Billy Burnette on "Oh Well"; sang the parts that Christine typically sang on "World Turning".

JazmenFlowers 06-21-2005 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
There are two that I know of in circulation...
Interlaken, Switzerland in 1994
Chicago 1995

The set list for the show of theirs I saw in Van Nuys, California in Oct 1994 was (which was pretty much a typical set for the tour):

The Chain*
You Make Loving Fun*
Dreams*
Oh Well*
All Along the Watchtower
The Bigger the Love
Blow By Blow
We Just Disagree
Gold Dust Woman*
Only You Know and I Know
World Turning*
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Say You Love Me*
Don't Stop*
Go Your Own Way
Tear It Up
Imagine*

Later in the tour, they replaced their cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" with Bekka's own "Dreamin' The Dream".

* = Bekka lead vocals...she sang the "Stevie" parts in "The Chain"; alternated verses with Billy Burnette on "Oh Well"; sang the parts that Christine typically sang on "World Turning".

Hence my next question, how is it that Bekka can sing Dreams and GDW? Does Stevie have to give permission for that?

chiliD 06-21-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
Hence my next question, how is it that Bekka can sing Dreams and GDW? Does Stevie have to give permission for that?

No. Stevie really has no say.

How is it that Lindsey Buckingham can sing "Station Man", "Oh Well", "Green Manalishi" & "Hypnotized"? There was no "permission" given by Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch or Peter Green.

They're all Fleetwood Mac songs sung by a member of Fleetwood Mac. 'Nuff said.

SteveMacD 06-21-2005 05:34 PM

Quote:

Since you asked, here's my rather long reply.

1. I've heard Lindsey say two different things relating to how he hooked back up with Mick. One time, he said he ran into Mick and another that Mick called him to say "hi." In both stories, Lindsey says that "over the course of the conversation, I could tell that he had gone through a lot of changes. I had done a solo album and gone through my own period of re-invention, so I was in a much better place than when I left the band back in 1987." Lindsey then went on to add some backing vocals on "Nothing Without You" on "Time."

2. Lindsey has been very critical of the writing on "Behind The Mask" and "Time" and about the direction in which the band was going. "I didn't put too much into it because the music was already becoming more generic. When I heard that Dave Mason was joining my initial reaction was, "Oh, that could be good!" But apparently, it wasn't. (Laughs) Then when I heard that they were doing this nostalgia package tour with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benetar, I was like, "What happened?"" Mind you, Fleetwood Mac wasn't touring in support of an album. Mick always said that they were touring to make money and to strengthen their chops.

3. Lindsey's OOTC was, by all counts, a dismal failure. His songs were released as singles. He made videos. The reviews were glowing. He even toured. Of course, he was opening for Tina Turner, but that's part of the story he sort of forgets. In any event, I'm sure he was shocked that a quality album like that would do so poorly. I think he realized that he was going to have a hard time making it on his own and that maybe he needed to be in Fleetwood Mac after all.

4. Of course, there was the now legendary Christine McVie AOL chat. Here are a few clippings from that:

JBatman95 : Do you still interact with other members of Fleetwood Mac?

Christine: Very much so, I have not seen Stevie in a while. I have been recording with John and Mick for the last couple years, and just ran into Lindsey at a club a couple weeks ago and had a good chat.

Gre1440: Give us your perspective on this most recent
incarnation of Fleetwood Mac.

Christine: I find it a bizarre combination of people, but Mick chose Dave Mason... I don't think he is a bad guitar player, but I just don't know how he fits in with Fleetwood Mac... Great guitar player he is, he would not have been my first choice.

MastrPeace: Who would have been your first choice, as opposed to Dave Mason?

Christine: Lindsey Buckingham, I think he was the most superlative guitar player this band will ever have. A true shining light. After Lindsey, everybody else seems a little palid. I'm not talking talent, just chemistry for Fleetwood Mac.

5. Now, here's some stuff from Bekka's website:

In 1995 the Fleetwood Mac's "Time" album is released. Bekka co-wrote two songs for that album. Bekka - "Even before Fleetwood Mac, I listened to Billy's records. I love his songwriting, although he's also my favorite singer. When we finally got together, I realized that we had something that never existed with Fleetwood Mac. They always said I sounded too country and that Billy sounded too country. They'd pull our reins back to a certain extent. There was just a down hominess that Billy and I had on tape that didn't really fit in with Fleetwood Mac. There was Mick Fleetwood in his knickers and Billy in his sequined jacket looking like a cowboy. The stuff I enjoyed singing most fell in line with what Billy was doing on his own".

At the end of 1995, Bekka moved to Nashville, where she and Billy got the attention of Garth Fundis, best known for his production work with Trisha Yearwood. "Mick wanted to take a hiatus, and so did John McVie, so the band broke up at the end of 1995. For Billy and me, it was a great opportunity to push forward with the duo. It opened the door for me to move to Nashville.

We just jumped head first on this. We fell in love with Garth Fundis instantly. He understood what we wanted to do. We've just been plugging our way, writing. The deal with Almo Sounds kind of fell in our laps, but Billy and I had been planning to do a record together for about two years. Previously, we had a commitment to Mick and John, both contractually and as a friendship, so we weren't about to leave them.

But when they broke up, that opened the door for us to do what we really wanted to do -- a duet record." That country album with Billy Burnette from Almo Sounds called "Bekka & Billy",was released in April, 1997 with a certain amount of success.

6. In Rolling Stone RS 772,from Oct. 31, 1997, with the band on the cover, Christine says something like "I told Mick, you can't go on forever," which tells me she quit Fleetwood Mac at some point during the mastering of "Time" and the band's eventual break up.

7. I'm sure the success of "Hell Freezes Over" wasn't lost on any of them. "Out Of The Cradle," "Street Angel," and "Time" were all huge failures. Combined they didn't sell 500K. Their collective careers were in the crapper.

CONCLUSION: During the recording of "Time," Christine met with Lindsey and Mick met with Lindsey. Given his lack of success and his displeasure of the direction of Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey started pressuring Mick to break the band up, with the hopes of a "Rumours" reunion. Lindsey wanted the spotlight, which was only going to happen in the context of Fleetwood Mac. Christine told Mick she was out, and she pressured him to break the band up, as she obviously didn't care for Dave Mason. Then, Bekka and Billy were already planning on doing a country album once their commitment to Fleetwood Mac was finished, which I'm sure wasn't a secret. So, Mick was getting pressure from Lindsey and Christine and was having a hard time keeping Bekka and Billy focused on being part of a rock band. I think if Christine was happy with Dave Mason, and had Bekka and Billy not been "too country" for Mick, Lindsey would have had a MUCH harder time getting Mick to split the "Time" band up. Furthermore, I personally think the pressure was being put on Mick by Lindsey and Christine prior to the release. If "Time" had been a remote success, I seriously doubt Mick would have gone back to the "Rumours" band. My HUNCH is that Lindsey said to Mick at some point "if you split the band up, you can play drums for me." Mick then saw the writing on the wall, and split the band up. I mean, nobody tours for nearly two years and breaks up less than three months after the album is FINALLY released without so much as a short tour. Especially a band known for its live shows like Fleetwood Mac. This is why I say "Time" was DOA.

As for the rest of the “conspiracy,” I think Mick was feeling uneasy about having split Fleetwood Mac up after it had already been done. Lindsey, trying to keep Mick focused, asked Mick about the possibility of getting a bass player for the project. Of course Mick was going to suggest John. Shortly thereafter, Christine just shows up. So 80% of the band was there, and wouldn’t you know it, Stevie magically shows up and has Mick and Lindsey help her with “Twisted.” So, Mick was working with John, Chris, and Lindsey on one project, and Stevie and Lindsey on another so shortly after splitting Fleetwood Mac up. The next step was obvious, and I suspect totally welcomed by all involved. I don’t think that any of these events would have happened if OOTC, SA, or “Time” were successes.

JazmenFlowers 06-21-2005 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiliD
No. Stevie really has no say.

How is it that Lindsey Buckingham can sing "Station Man", "Oh Well", "Green Manalishi" & "Hypnotized"? There was no "permission" given by Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch or Peter Green.

They're all Fleetwood Mac songs sung by a member of Fleetwood Mac. 'Nuff said.

um, ok. thanks for the info.

PenguinHead 06-21-2005 06:15 PM

WOW!

Thanks for such a thorough explanation. You really nailed down a lot of the details and dynamics of how things probably came together for the Dance.

You verify some sources (interviews, etc...) that qualify the motives and personal feelings of the various members. Can all of that be qualifed or is some of it just presumption?

macfan 57 06-21-2005 06:36 PM

Wow is right! That's incredible. You tied everything together. Your theory makes sense. :)

SteveMacD 06-21-2005 06:48 PM

Quote:

WOW!

Thanks for such a thorough explanation. You really nailed down a lot of the details and dynamics of how things probably came together for the Dance.

You verify some sources (interviews, etc...) that qualify the motives and personal feelings of the various members. Can all of that be qualifed or is some of it just presumption?

It's a little of both. When I make a presumption, I do so only after I look at what they've said in interviews, their album sales, the timeline of events, and their past behaviors/motivations. Everything else just falls into place. I guess you could say I make qualified presumptions.

BTW, I should add that I don't think anybody was necessarily wrong, here. One the one hand, "Time" wasn't really given a fair shot. But on the other, by all indications, the band was just going to do many of the same old songs from the white album and "Rumours" during their concerts. So, why play the old hits with the "Time" band when Mick and John could be playing all of the old hits with the "Rumours" band? This way, they wouldn't have to deal with being called a "souped-up cover band," they would get major promotion, and they would make a hell of a lot of money. Mick, John, and Christine got to do a reunion with the two people with whom they became legends. Bekka and Billy got to do the album they wanted as a country duo. I think the only person who lost out in all of this was Dave Mason, and it's not like he didn't already have a career of his own. Also, he got to do a reunion tour with Jim Capaldi, which wouldn't have happened if he had still been in Fleetwood Mac. So, in the end, I think there was a lot more going on than has been acknowledged, but I think the end result was best for all involved.

SteveMacD 06-22-2005 04:17 AM

One quote from Lindsey that has been pissing me off all night is: "I didn't put too much into it because the music was already becoming more generic." Gee, any more generic than "Empire State" or "Family Man"? What makes him think HE'S the one, eh?

macfan 57 06-22-2005 05:47 AM

Quote:

One quote from Lindsey that has been pissing me off all night is: "I didn't put too much into it because the music was already becoming more generic." Gee, any more generic than "Empire State" or "Family Man"? What makes him think HE'S the one, eh?

That's his ego out of control. He may not have liked that the Rick/Billy line-up had a pretty decent amount of success, without him. He said some pretty nasty things about that line-up. I have an interview CD where he mentioned that Stevie told him that she should have left when he did. I have no idea if she ever said that, but she's a bit too classy to at least have publicly dissed Rick and Billy like that.