The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Peter Green (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Peter Green & Friends Play London Show! (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=40772)

dingwally 06-25-2009 03:25 AM

Peter Green & Friends Play London Show!

Peter Green & Friends Plus Geraint Watkins and the Goldtop Band
Camden Dingwalls
Camden Lock
London NW1 8AB
Sunday 12th July
Doors 7.00 pm
£16.50 Adv
www.dingwalls.com

Tickets from Ticketweb 08700 600 100
or direct link:
http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?reg...308&interface=

"Peter has a rockin' new band which includes a great combination of youth and experience: Geraint Watkins (also with Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings); Matt Radford (also with Nick Lowe, Pete Molinari); Mike Dodd, Andrew Flude and of course the main man himself on lead guitar and vocals. The set will comprise of some Mac/Green classics as well as a selection of some of Peter's favourite blues songs. A great opportunity to see a British blues guitar legend performing live for the first time in over four years”

Peter's playing is at it's best for years and this shouldn't be missed!

Ms Moose 06-25-2009 04:17 AM

Chalk Farm Nostalgia

Great and wonderful news - thanks for posting, dingwally! This is the day after the festival (which I have forgotten the name of - from the other thread).
But how come Geraint Watkins Goldtop Band is listed seperately?

Dare I say that this Dingwall place is by Chalk Farm Road and The Roundhouse, a place of great sentimental value for PG and Mac fans, as they played their last London concert there on the 24.th of April 1970.

Ms Moose:woohoo:

dingwally 06-25-2009 05:15 AM

Peter Plays London

Geraint is listed separately because as well as playing in Peters Band he has his own band who are co- headlining and they are great.

And yes it is the Dingwalls on Chalk Farm Road that has been there since 1973.

Dingwally

doodyhead 06-27-2009 04:23 PM

The Chalk Farm

Will they be asking for the giant Phallus and Parabolic reflectors again?

Wish I were able to be there

Good Luck Peter

all the best, from one steadfast cheerleader

vinnie c

Mrpeabody 07-12-2009 07:05 PM

Dammit!!! I just left London to return home on Saturday night! I was in Camden that day too, and never heard about it. :mad:

Would someone who went there tonight please tell me it got cancelled or something so I don't feel as bad? Lie if you must.

Thank you.

sadhr 07-13-2009 02:55 AM

Last Night was brilliant!

1 Attachment(s)
He was on form last night, I was 4 foot away from him and I came home with the copy of the set list he had been using all night....heaven!

kowk 07-13-2009 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhr (Post 830587)
He was on form last night, I was 4 foot away from him and I came home with the copy of the set list he had been using all night....heaven!

I wish I hadn't been there :(
I'd like to watch Peter playing 4 foot away from me someday :).
Any details about tracklist?
Have you recorded the show?

Greetings from Poland
Krzysztof

sadhr 07-13-2009 07:33 AM

Set List

1 Attachment(s)
As I said I came home with the set list he had been using. See attachment for a photo of the set list.

slipkid 07-13-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhr (Post 830587)

Is he playing a Les Paul in that photo?

Norton 07-13-2009 10:06 AM

It was a privilege to be there.

I have waited 40 years for this.

Last night at Dingwall’s made the wait so worthwhile.

What was it like? All of it was good, some great and some, for me, was out of this world.
The band was very together, and all of them were enjoying themselves..
Peters singing was way stronger than anything I have heard for a long long time.
He sounded confident, and his timing and vocal control were excellent.

But that guitar! How he gets the feel and tone out of anything he plays is pure magic.

‘Oh Well’ was so good, it felt like I was back in the 1960’s, he nailed it.

Albatross brought tears to my eyes, this is the sweetest version I have heard.

When they played BMW, everyone was singing. Peter had a big grin on his face...

The place was packed. This is the real Peter Green…..like I always wanted to see him, and now finally, I have.

greenmanastrat 07-13-2009 10:10 AM

youtube video

I think this could be some footage from the concert :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWDI...eature=related

looks like les paul gold top:eek:

sharksfan2000 07-13-2009 10:51 AM

There are a couple of other new YouTube clips up as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6A9...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPE_a...eature=related

Mrpeabody 07-13-2009 02:42 PM

Way to make a guy feel better...

doodyhead 07-13-2009 07:35 PM

mike dodd's goldtop

It looks like Mike has been sharing his guitars with peter

its nice to see LP in his hands

So did anyone else see the show?

Peter looked happy, was the crowd good?

JonsonP 07-15-2009 07:12 AM

'its nice to see LP in his hands'

Indeed, but without wanting to be too negative, I'm not sure if he sounds as comfortable with it as when using Fenders recently :sorry: Just a little less fluid & smooth(?), or possibly the poor sound quality of the clips isn't helping, or maybe he was just a bit nervous? :shrug:

Excellent song choices though, and :thumbsup: for Mike Dodd, who always seems to be having a great time!

Jon

Ms Moose 07-15-2009 09:10 AM

More of the same, but from another place in the audience

This should have been posted under The Cornbury Festival thread, but I will post it here all the same....

Here is another piece of footage from The Cornbury Festival. Same songs but from another position, and a bit better sound I think than the one previously posted. Albatros is heavenly....I wish there was a proper recording of this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-DW...eature=related

Ms Moose

dino 07-15-2009 11:57 AM

Did you notice Greeny goes into "Oh Well" part 2 before "Albatross"?
That would have been interesting.
Hope somebody recorded this performance.

Ms Moose 07-15-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dino (Post 830899)
Did you notice Greeny goes into "Oh Well" part 2 before "Albatross"?
That would have been interesting.
Hope somebody recorded this performance.

Yes, when I first heard it I thought: "Wouw - at last a performance of Oh Well part two". Unfortunately it wasn't. As you say that would have been interesting! I suppose it could be done?

Ms Moose

slipkid 07-15-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Moose (Post 830926)
Yes, when I first heard it I thought: "Wouw - at last a performance of Oh Well part two". Unfortunately it wasn't. As you say that would have been interesting! I suppose it could be done?

Ms Moose

I had the same thought. With modern keyboards, you could easily recreate the strings, and recorder heard on the original version. Although visions of mellotrons and Rick Wakeman appear in my head, and using 40 year old analog technology would've provided a different twist to a great piece of art.

robster 07-16-2009 03:55 AM

I was at Cornbury last saturday and was totally blown away.
I also took my mum who last saw him 40 years ago.

It was so nice to see him enjoying himself playing, and the band were superb. I know its been noted before but Mike Dodd you are at top man :-)

For me to see the legend in the flesh and to hear him play live was a mgaical experince. The way he played albatross at the end of the set will live in my memeory forever. It brought tears to my eyes and still makes me tingle thinking about it.

Peter Green you are the man

Ms Moose 07-16-2009 04:24 PM

More Peter Green at Cornbury....

...on Youtube:

- the very end of Blues Don't Change
- Key to the Highway
- The Stumble
- Sitting in the Rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4prNXAz24

Some of it a bit rumble tumble, but still wonderful that someone did this.

The end part of The Stumble is being played ever more blasé

Great version of Sitting in the Rain!

Ms Moose:woohoo:

Mario 07-16-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodyhead (Post 830659)
It looks like Mike has been sharing his guitars with peter

its nice to see LP in his hands

So did anyone else see the show?

Peter looked happy, was the crowd good?

No it isn't a Les Paul......it is a 1999 Korean-made Epiphone Gold Top 1956 Reissue and a Limited Edition.

Peter bought it from Martin Celmins so he got a real bargain.

Those Epiphones are much better than the current China-made ones - when PG first
tried playing it he honestly thought it was a Gibson (!)

Mario.;)

slipkid 07-17-2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario (Post 831106)
No it isn't a Les Paul......it is a 1999 Korean-made Epiphone Gold Top 1956 Reissue and a Limited Edition.

Peter bought it from Martin Celmins so he got a real bargain.

Those Epiphones are much better than the current China-made ones - when PG first
tried playing it he honestly thought it was a Gibson (!)

Mario.;)

I have a friend that bought a China made Epi LP Custom from Sam Ash in '05. The build quality is excellent complete with grover tuners, the pickups are another story. The alnico V's he has are just pure mud in tone. If he bought a Burstbucker 2 with a Burstbucker 3, his guitar tone would resemble a real LP.

What I can't get over is that PG is playing Epi's. I saw the Youtube video of his extensive guitar collection. He certainly could afford a real Gibson LP if he chose.

I was in Nashville just under two weeks ago, and I visited the local Guitar Center. They have this "room" where only the best LP's are displayed, including the Michael Bloomfield Custom, and the Billy Gibbons Custon. There was a Jeff Beck version that was selling for $20,000. I wished I'd brought my camera, the woodwork on the Bloomfield and the '59 VOS they had was just amazing. You won't find these guitars on display in any Guitar Center outside of L.A., NYC., or Nashville. The Bloomfield custom was priced at $8,000. I would hope that Peter Green could afford such a luxury.

sharksfan2000 07-21-2009 10:26 AM

Some additional YouTube video that's been uploaded in the past few days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWpBWrgZFhU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCVYPE5CiM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLBU6gmEnws

chiliD 07-21-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario (Post 831106)

It may not be a "Gibson", but Epiphone (a Gibson subsidiary company) has licensed the "Les Paul" name...so, yes, it very much IS a "Les Paul".

doodyhead 07-21-2009 01:07 PM

Whats a Gibson?

Gibson bought epiphone to eliminate competition in the 40s. Thern they sent them away from their new york home to the hinterlands,

I can tell you however. I own a Gibson Les Paul custom but I also own three different Epiphones built is three different countries. They all play good and sound as good as the Gibsons built these days.
In fact the Epiphone Masterbuilt J50 copy sounds better than a lot of the Gibsons out there now

I agree with ChillD

dino 07-21-2009 02:56 PM

Holy crap...Greeny sounds great back playing on a Gibson (or Epiphone).

Ms Moose 07-22-2009 07:06 AM

Just a thought....

It is great to see all these uploads on Youtube, but of course taken under festival/concert conditions in the audience - a lot of them are very bad sound- and picturewise. From rapports the concerts are very good and better than they sound and look on the uploads.

It makes me think that it may be about time some more official and controlled things were made??? I wonder what Peter Green and His Friends think about this idea???
:angel: Mario???

Ms Moose

dino 07-22-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Moose (Post 832185)
It is great to see all these uploads on Youtube, but of course taken under festival/concert conditions in the audience - a lot of them are very bad sound- and picturewise. From rapports the concerts are very good and better than they sound and look on the uploads.

It makes me think that it may be about time some more official and controlled things were made??? I wonder what Peter Green and His Friends think about this idea???
:angel: Mario???

Ms Moose

Ha ha, I agree...??? Can be quite simple - just mix a soundboard and sell it as a download and/or cd. These English concerts, judging from what's on youtube, are
an improvement on the German gigs, and def worthy of relase in some form.