The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Which album outside of the Rumours lineup had the best Christine songs? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53629)

Mr Scarrott 05-04-2014 12:59 PM

Which album outside of the Rumours lineup had the best Christine songs?

As I'm in such a good mood over Christine's return and as I'm also a bit tired of some of the negativity over on another part of the Ledge , I thought I would canvass opinion about which album outside the Rumours lineup had the consistently best Christine songs on it. I've limited it to ones that she had a hand in writing in, so annoyingly, What a Shame is in and Keep on Going is out. Feel free to offer album rankings in your reply, should you be kind enough to reply. I'm excluding Greatest Hits as there's only one new song on that. And yeah, I know Christine rather than John probably wrote bits of Station Man, too. I'm already feeling a little torn in my choice...

Kind Regards

Mr Scarrott

PS if one of the mods could delete my earlier thread that would be great. Thanks.

michelej1 05-04-2014 01:23 PM

Actually, Mystery to Me and HAHTF seem pretty evenly matched.

Michele

Dex 05-04-2014 01:26 PM

Bare Trees was one of my first FM loves, so it breaks my heart not to vote for it. But I think Christine was actually probably the weaker songwriter on that one.

I had to go with Mystery to Me. Flawless, and we get some sounds we don't usually hear from her.

On Ice 05-04-2014 05:11 PM

Mystery to Me wins for me as she got a higher song count on the album and each one was a gem. Christine knocks it out of the park on this record. A lot of variety and good music, her voice had found a great tone and flexibility by Mystery. I think she shines on all of the early Mac albums and was particularly well matched with Danny Kirwan, even more so than Bob Welch and I thought the two of them did some nice work together. If Mystery has any weaknesses, it was starting to sound like two different bands between Welch and McVie but this was not the case on the Kirwan lead albums.

Future Games also shows a more artistic side to her songs and the difference between Morning Rain and Show Me a Smile showed her versatility as an artist. :nod:

aleuzzi 05-04-2014 05:56 PM

I remember hearing Penguin for the first time and being genuinely enthused by Christine's songs on it. They were so catchy!

I also think, on paper at least, her Heroes sings are excellent (big fan of approve Your Love). She sings all of them well, but the arrangements (particularly on Come a Little Bit Closer) are generally muddled. As performed, only Bad Loser catches the right fire.

I also want to give a shout out for The Chain box set. Both of Christine's songs are excellent, the only strong new material on that issue, IMO.

nicepace 05-04-2014 07:16 PM

I love her songs on Behind the Mask and Time but I have to go with the emerging Mystery To Me consensus. Four songs, all very different, all just about perfect.

michelej1 05-04-2014 07:23 PM

I do think Behind the Mask and Save Me are exceptional.

Michele

louielouie2000 05-05-2014 12:19 PM

I think all 3 of her songs on Penguin are exceptional. They are all so catchy, foot tapping, and enjoyable. They might be my fav group of Chris songs from any album, actually. :)

aleuzzi 05-05-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louielouie2000 (Post 1128835)
I think all 3 of her songs on Penguin are exceptional. They are all so catchy, foot tapping, and enjoyable. They might be my fav group of Chris songs from any album, actually. :)

Thank you!

chriskisn 05-05-2014 08:55 PM

I would have said Mr Wonderful had the best Christine songs...

What? I hear you say...there weren't any Christine songs on Mr Wonderful

:nod::nod::nod:

:laugh:

Mr Scarrott 05-06-2014 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 1128871)
I would have said Mr Wonderful had the best Christine songs...

What? I hear you say...there weren't any Christine songs on Mr Wonderful

:nod::nod::nod:

:laugh:

Maybe I'll run a poll for Christine's best keyboard work next, then!;) Got to admit I love her simple, evocative piano on Love that Burns. I could listen to that track endlessly- and she's on fire on Lazy Poker Blues.

Thanks for everyone's responses. All very civilised.

chriskisn 05-06-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott (Post 1128881)
Maybe I'll run a poll for Christine's best keyboard work next, then!;) Got to admit I love her simple, evocative piano on Love that Burns. I could listen to that track endlessly- and she's on fire on Lazy Poker Blues.

Thanks for everyone's responses. All very civilised.

Actually in Christine's defence (and hey most people here know I'm not a big Christine fan) most of her stuff pre-rumours was okay.

sorcerer999 05-06-2014 12:49 PM

Mystery To Me. The song, "Why" ~ beautiful, heartbreaking, hopeful, FLAWLESS!

jbrownsjr 05-07-2014 08:44 AM

Mystery and Heroes are my fav.

goldustsongbird 05-07-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1129022)
Mystery and Heroes are my fav.

It came down to these two for me. I have to go with Mystery, for the sublime Why.