The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Post-Rumours (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   BTM: Your favorite songs, grouped by singer (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60033)

Villavic 08-16-2023 08:28 AM

BTM: Your favorite songs, grouped by singer

Because you asked for it, here's the poll of Behind the Mask.

It may be complicated since many songs are co-written, so let focus on the singer. Err... some songs are kind of duets. Well, to avoid brain damages :) let say it's up to you who is the lead singer.

moon 08-16-2023 10:08 AM

Maaan, this is a very hard one! :lol: Everyone has at least a good one, but it's true that there's some duets that change plans!
I would go with Chris for Behind The Mask, but Billy's work is so good, so I think I would go with him on this one!

Mr Scarrott 08-16-2023 11:43 AM

I've tried very hard to forget the overwhelming feeling of embarrassment I felt for a very long time after first listening to this record.

I exaggarete slightly for comic effect (the title track is pretty good, in my opinion) but maybe we should have an option for the second or so's silence between each track.

bwboy 08-16-2023 03:16 PM

Christine by a landslide LOL! But I agree with moon that Billy Burnette is the unsung hero of BTM. He and Christine sound so good on Do You Know, and In the Back of My Mind is phenomenal. Hearing all three (Billy, Christine, and Stevie) on this song blows me away. Save Me is so damn good, with Rick’s blistering guitar work. Skies the Limit is better than Only Over You, Wish You Were Here, and Mystified, IMO. And I like Mystified LOL. Poor Stevie, her material is forgettable- not necessarily bad but not memorable. I remember listening to BTM and thinking “I can’t picture any one of Stevie’s songs getting airplay,” with the exception of maybe Love is Dangerous, and even that one would have bombed. Behind the Mask is also incredible.

BLY 08-16-2023 05:39 PM

Christine songs sound more like “FLeetwood Mac” to me anything with her vocals on it. Stevie’s tracks sound like they can be on a solo album except for maybe Love is Dangerous. I do still love this album. Ricks, Billy’s and Stevie’s songs are all tied for second place.

Macfan4life 08-17-2023 04:22 AM

I voted for Chris. However Billy has the best song on the album (Back of my mind). He also has the worst song on the album (Hard Feelings). Chris has the best album single track (Save Me). She always brings great songs. Rick is fine but Stand On The Rock almost seems like padding. I dont like Second Time or Affairs of the Heart at all. You can hear the klonopin in Stevie's voice on those songs and its sad. By 1990 I was tired of hearing of these stairs and hallways from Stevie. Also that line about its better to have loved and lost then never have loved before.....has this not been a recycled line from her? Freedom is good but it could have been better. It should have been a rocked out song but it seems they are holding back.
While not successful in the States, I love the music even on songs I dont care for like Stand On The Rock. The album shines because you can hear that great Mac rhythm section humming again. Good grief Chris is playing keyboards again. All those things mostly missing from Tango. The band is really sounding really good on this album. I like the title track BTM but I can never understand why I dont love it. I think it has great lyrics. But something about the tempo of the song drags it. Maybe thats not it either. Its a good song but I can never understand why I dont love it like the other Chris songs. Love is Dangerous is a great song with Rick. So I guess each singer had at least 1 good song including the new guys. Chris just runs away with it though.

mitzo 08-17-2023 06:38 AM

Christine wins this one. The guys really made the album too, and most tracks are really well done. Stevie is pretty weak on this album. I guess Freedom is OK, Affairs of the Heart is crap, Love is Dangerous is OK, and I am the only person in the universe who loves The Second Time.

jbrownsjr 08-17-2023 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1287035)
Christine wins this one. The guys really made the album too, and most tracks are really well done. Stevie is pretty weak on this album. I guess Freedom is OK, Affairs of the Heart is crap, Love is Dangerous is OK, and I am the only person in the universe who loves The Second Time.

I hate Second Time, but love WISYA.

UnwindedDreams 08-17-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1287045)
I hate Second Time, but love WISYA.

The Second Time is 2 minutes and it's still too long.:laugh: I do like the "dream come true" line. But Cheaper Than Free is a way better song than The Second Time. And Show Them the Way too.

David 08-17-2023 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitzo (Post 1287035)
The guys really made the album too, and most tracks are really well done.

Snooze.

Quote:

Stevie is pretty weak on this album.
By far the weakest she has ever been on any Mac album. I think the shakeup in the personnel really zapped her strengths right out of her. She seems like a deer caught in the headlights.

Quote:

Affairs of the Heart is crap
LOL. Unconvincing, uninvolving crap. Sounds like something AI cooks up when you ask it to write a song like Stevie Nicks.

Quote:

I am the only person in the universe who loves The Second Time.
It’s a genuine sentiment and I completely believe it. I love this song: the lyrics, the very touching melody. I just wish a good producer had built the track (or the bad producer had built a good track).

DownOnRodeo 08-18-2023 06:25 AM

I like Affairs of the Heart (though not as much as the oft-maligned My Heart).
Other than that, Stevie and Rick's tracks don't do it for me.

I really like the following Billy tracks and agree that Billy pretty much defines the album:
In The Back Of My Mind
Hard Feelings
Do You Know

"Skies" The Limit and Save Me are okay, but I think the later Love Shines and Heart of Stone are better.

Billy gets my vote.

SteveMacD 08-18-2023 10:23 PM

Christine because her songs were consistent, if uninspiring.

Stevie’s songs were filler and Rick had better songs that didn’t make the album.

Billy had one good song and two good duets, but also a filler duet (WICTL) and a clunker (Hard Feelings). Like Rick, he had better songs that didn’t make the album.

Overall, it felt like a very bland, corporate album. That said, love the solo on “Save Me.”

bwboy 08-18-2023 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMacD (Post 1287128)
Billy had one good song and two good duets, but also a filler duet (WICTL) and a clunker (Hard Feelings). Like Rick, he had better songs that didn’t make the album.

I love When It Comes to Love, Billy sounds so good on it. It was years before I appreciated Hard Feelings, in fact I used to dislike it a lot. The song resonates with me now, not sure why. Game of Love is one of my favorite songs from Billy and I have a really hard time understanding why they didn’t record it and put it on the album. All the more reason I hope BTM gets the Deluxe Edition treatment soon.

HomerMcvie 08-19-2023 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwboy (Post 1287129)
All the more reason I hope BTM gets the Deluxe Edition treatment soon.

Ain't gonna happen. FIVE people buying it isn't worth it.

FuzzyPlum 08-19-2023 09:05 AM

What an awful pile of sh!t of an album. I will ech Mr Scarrotts sentiment of feeling a genuine sense of embarrassment when it first came out. I played it and played it, wanting to love it in the same was as all the preceding albums…..but no. I eventually had to give up and concede. It’s sh!t.

Maybe Christine’s songs are slightly better than Billy’s (???!!!!?????) and yet I’m not voting for her for the simple reason these are by a long way her worst collection of songs and I’m annoyed with her for creating such banal tripe. So instead my vote goes to billy. The least stinky collection of turds.