The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Versions of 'Love that Burns' (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52403)

Derek Slade 07-29-2013 08:35 AM

Versions of 'Love that Burns'

Please can anyone tell me whether the version of 'Love that Burns' on the Men of the World compilation is the same as that on The Vaudeville Years (a different take than the one released on Mr Wonderful)?

Evan Morris 07-29-2013 11:57 AM

Love That Burns

I know of only two recorded versions:

The studio version from the Mister Wonderful LP, with two saxophones and Christine Perfect ( Mcvie ) on piano.

The other is a live version recorded in California in 1969, so I'm told. With Fleetwood, Mcvie, Green, and Kirwan, about a minute longer if memory serves.

Derek Slade 07-29-2013 12:19 PM

Thanks, Evan. What I've just discovered is that the Vaudeville Years version is also included in the 'Jumping at Shadows' compilation. According to the CD notes, this is just Peter, John and Mick. It is also about a minute shorter than the Mr Wonderful version.

BklynBlue 07-29-2013 07:05 PM

The performance found on both “The Vaudeville Years” and “Jumping at Shadows” was done for BBC-2 Television: it was recorded and broadcast on July 19, 1968 for the show “Colour Me Pop.
The studio recording, released on “Mr. Wonderful” is the only other version of the song that I am aware of. If there is a live version out there, I would be very interested in hearing it as it is an amazing song, and one that I would love to hear Green stretch out on it (as he had begun to do on other numbers in 1969)
If anyone has any information concerning this, please share

Derek Slade 07-30-2013 01:11 PM

Funny how things come around: I remember watching that TV performance, enthralled, as a 17-year-old.

In recent years I've been hoping it would appear on YouTube, but no such luck, so far. Perhaps copies of the broadcast just don't exist; the BBC had a pretty cavalier attitude towards archiving material in those days.

THD 07-30-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Slade (Post 1099519)
Funny how things come around: I remember watching that TV performance, enthralled, as a 17-year-old.

In recent years I've been hoping it would appear on YouTube, but no such luck, so far. Perhaps copies of the broadcast just don't exist; the BBC had a pretty cavalier attitude towards archiving material in those days.

Well that makes two of us who saw this show Derek ! Here's a link to a thread about it -perhaps you might be able to confirm or deny my reminiscences about that edition of Colour Me Pop.

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...=colour&page=2

WARNING! Now entering grumpy old man mode !

How annoying that, on this site, I cannot do a search for Colour Me Pop because Me and Pop are not accepted search terms , as they are too short -so you get results that contain the word Colour only !!!!

Could not search with THD to find my own posting about it !!!!

Had similar problems entering Spinal Tap (wanted to see if anyone had posted about Mick Fleetwood doing an audition as the replacement drummer for Spinal Tap with a paper bag over his head 0n a British TV prog- possibly the Jonathon Ross (chat )show.I might even have previously posted about it myself of course (grumpy and senile old man mode !)

Derek Slade 07-30-2013 03:24 PM

Thanks for alerting me to that thread, THD. I'm afraid that all these years later, it is my enjoyment I remember, rather than specifics. Though I have to say I don't remember Peter Green sitting on a chair for that number, and that's the sort of thing that might have stuck.

Regarding his possible use of a Stratocaster on the show (which I can't confirm or deny), it's interesting that in 'Strange Brew' Christopher Hjort says that Greeny bought a Strat while FM were touring America in the summer of 1968. They returned on 18 July, the day before the Colour Me Pop programme was recorded - so perhaps he was giving his new guitar an airing?

THD 07-31-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Slade (Post 1099527)
. Though I have to say I don't remember Peter Green sitting on a chair for that number, and that's the sort of thing that might have stuck.

Just to be absolutely clear about this , this section was a filmed insert (rest of the show was the band recorded live in the studio -no audience ). It was shot in the(scruffy ?) front room of a town house, and at some point , Peter was sitting astride a chair , which was facing the wrong way .The music was Need Your Love So Bad, but I don't remember whether Peter was lipsinking (prob the case )or whether it was just images to go with the music. I don't even recall the other band members being involved -if they were they certainly werent playing as a band .