The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   1967 Bluesbreakers live recording will be available soon (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=48277)

sharksfan2000 08-14-2011 11:32 PM

1967 Bluesbreakers live recording will be available soon

I got some good news about the Peter Green-era Bluesbreakers recordings that Tom Huissen made back in 1967. For those who don't know, Tom is from the Netherlands, and has been around the blues scene in the UK and Europe for many years. He has a band called John the Revelator, which was inspired by early Fleetwood Mac and formed in the late '60s.

As some of you already know - it's been discussed here on the Ledge - Tom recorded five Bluesbreakers shows during the first half of 1967. He has just sent out word that he will be releasing them one at a time. The first show to be released is from the Marquee in London, from 27 April 1967. I've copied the information he sent about the show and about obtaining it as a bonus for ordering the latest John the Revelator CD - see the info below.

I think pretty much everyone I've run across here on the Ledge is in agreement that we should not copy or trade recordings that are currently available, only bootlegs and out of print music - I think it's worth keeping this in mind here since Tom is now making these rare recordings available. I have no commercial interest in any of this, just passing along the information I've received to everyone here.

This looks like some exciting news - here's the information sent by Tom:

In the past you showed interest in the Peter Green tapes I made in 1967.
I got good news for you.
The time has come that all the Peter Green fans in the world can enjoy the tapes.

I don't want it to be a commercial project.
So the tapes are only for personal use and not for commercial use.
I will release the tapes step by step.
I will start with the Marquee tapes (04-27-1967).

Marquee 27-04-1967
1. Talk to your daughter (Lenoir) 2:59
2. Tears in my eyes (Mayall) 7:30
3. Streamline (Mayall) 4:00
4. The Stumble (F.King) 6:43
5. So many roads (Paul) 8:18
6. Riding on the L&N (Hampton/Burley) 2:21
7. Chicago line (Mayall) 6:53
8. Your funeral my trial (Williamson) 5:21
9. Four million nobs (Green) 6:36
10. Double trouble (Rush) 6:37
Total time: 57:18

On our website www.johntherevelator.nl you find more information on the tapes (as you are well aware).

I will use the infrastructure of my band to make the tapes available for all the fans.
http://johntherevelator.bandcamp.com/

From Wednesday the 21st of September the Marquee tapes are available in the following fashion:
- fans who buy the latest album ‘ Underway’ of John the Revelator, the physical digipack, get an immediate free download not only of the album 'Underway' but as a bonus they also get an immediate free download of The Marquee tapes in their choice of 320k mp3, FLAC, or just about any other format they could possibly desire. The free download of the Marquee tapes include booklet, pictures and sleeve notes.

- The advantage of using our bandcamp website is that this website automatically transfers the acquired money in your own currency.

- The price of the physical digipack album 'Underway' is € 15,00 plus shipping costs.

I hope this arrangement will please you.

Wouter Vuijk 08-15-2011 03:32 AM

Fantastic news, Sharksfan.:blob2::blob1:
I have asked Tom several times about this but never got any reply. Perhaps he did not want to reply to all the questions being asked, too much time ands effort consuming. Glad he did answer you now.
I am really looking forward to this. I'll check their site now daily.

SummerlongBoots 08-15-2011 05:42 PM

VERY cool! Thanks so much for posting this!

Norton 09-15-2011 08:38 AM

Green/Mayall @ Marquee 1967 now available.

The recordings are now available for download. Quality is very good considering that they were made 44 years ago. Definately worth getting.

http://johntherevelator.bandcamp.com/

sharksfan2000 09-15-2011 10:25 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, Norton, and good news about the sound quality. I will have to get the download soon.

mistermike 09-15-2011 11:37 AM

How very, very odd!

I'm confused-- was this chap part of the 1967 band? Is this how he came across the Marquee tapes? If not, it rather looks to me like an attempt to profit from recordings and songs he doesn't own the rights to.

The Marquee 1967 tapes are "not for commerical use," says John the Revelator... but to download them for "free" I must spend €15 to order a full digi-pack album by his current band I've never heard of ?!?

Never heard of an arrangement like this before. It's not a "free" download at all.

Having heard the sample of his album there's certainly no chance I'd consider buying it were it not for his offer of this "free" 1967 bootleg alongside, & I'm afraid I refuse to be held hostage.

sharksfan2000 09-15-2011 01:58 PM

Mistermike, I agree that it is an unusual arrangement. I don't know the situation with the rights, but from what I've heard, Tom Huissen has been in contact with John Mayall regarding these recordings so I'm assuming that this arrangement was satisfactory regarding any copyrights, etc. But I don't know the whole story...just passing along info I've received from other people.

Norton 09-16-2011 05:42 AM

Green/Mayall @ Marquee

Whilst I understand the concerns of mistermike, I rather think that we can treat these tapes in a similar way to 'official' bootlegs.

John The Revelator is a Dutch band that has its roots back in the mid to late 60's and Tom himself (who recorded these tapes) has been their mainstay since then. They are very ardent fans of Peter Green, and have been since those original Bluesbreakers days.

You can find more about them here:-

http://www.johntherevelator.nl/

and read/listen to the section dedicated to Peter here:-

http://www.johntherevelator.nl/history/peter_green_

As a disclaimer, I have no association with Tom or the band. I am just providing some details.

zoork_1 09-16-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 (Post 1017745)
Mistermike, I agree that it is an unusual arrangement. I don't know the situation with the rights, but from what I've heard, Tom Huissen has been in contact with John Mayall regarding these recordings so I'm assuming that this arrangement was satisfactory regarding any copyrights, etc. But I don't know the whole story...just passing along info I've received from other people.

You're doing fine sharksfan...:)

/z

Wouter Vuijk 09-16-2011 04:25 PM

So this is just one of the five discs. How are the other four going to be offered? What price to pay for something we may not want or already have? I'd rather pay Tom for the 1967 discs and leave it to myself if I want some other material.
A better deal would have been to pay 15 Euro for the Marquee recordings and get a free download for the John the Revelator album, should one want that as well.

doodyhead 09-16-2011 04:26 PM

john the revenuer

I am somewhat suspect of buying a "pig in a poke" to use a 19th century saying.
Has anyone heard Toms Band?
Does John Mayall or Peter get anything out of this?
John himself lost a lot of his old stuff in the Laurel Canyon fire and you would think that he would be interested in some of this. He did after all release "The Stumble" and was it "Double Trouble" or was it " So Many Roads"( i forget) from that era.

I'm just saying that if it is some sort of financial arangement amongst all the parties i would feel better about this.

March 1967....Was Mick still there or was he canned already?

doodyhead

I assume because Peter John McVie and possibly Mick Fleetwood were in this recording it should be in the pre rumors rather than Peter Green's section. ..

Muddy 09-19-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodyhead (Post 1018088)
I am somewhat suspect of buying a "pig in a poke" to use a 19th century saying.
Has anyone heard Toms Band?
Does John Mayall or Peter get anything out of this?
John himself lost a lot of his old stuff in the Laurel Canyon fire and you would think that he would be interested in some of this. He did after all release "The Stumble" and was it "Double Trouble" or was it " So Many Roads"( i forget) from that era.

I'm just saying that if it is some sort of financial arangement amongst all the parties i would feel better about this.

March 1967....Was Mick still there or was he canned already?

doodyhead

I assume because Peter John McVie and possibly Mick Fleetwood were in this recording it should be in the pre rumors rather than Peter Green's section. ..

I hear you, man.

To me, the whole concept of "I will give it for free... as long you buy a record of a band you never heard about before" seems specially designed for selling the Bluesbreakers record indirectly. I can't help but think that if such arrangement was necessary in first place, there's a good chance that the John hasn't authorized the thing.

I apologize if I'm being too suspicious, as far as I know, the records could be perfectly legal. It's just that I would like to know for sure before considering the buy. :shrug:

doodyhead 09-19-2011 07:13 PM

royalty pain

Dear Muddy
Welcome to the ledge.

MY thought is that if he did get some feedback from mayall on this i would be happier in this if he would reveal it.
There is plenty of free music from the past out there. just ask the greatful dead. i am sure he did not ask mayall permission to record it in the first place.
You would think he would be secure enough in his own music not to resort to this

vinnie c

Wouter Vuijk 09-20-2011 04:59 AM

Next offer

Hi all,
Disregarding the discussions above concerning the procedures, I can let you know that Tom has revealed to me that the next disc (Manor House, which is supposed to be better) will be available end of october. Don't know what we'll have to purchase besides.

Still, the discussions above seem very meaningful, especially the comment concerning free bootleg recordings like the Greatful Dead.

doodyhead 09-20-2011 12:48 PM

for example says doodyhead, mel and vinnie

http://www.archive.org/details/etree

search their database of free music from living and dead musicians that we all know.
They took off line those that have been commercially released

just saying.....

doodyhead