The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Stevie Nicks (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Charles Kelley Solo Album to Feature Stevie Nicks on Background Vocals (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=55593)

WatchChain 10-01-2015 09:19 PM

Charles Kelley Solo Album to Feature Stevie Nicks on Background Vocals

According to Taste of Country, Lady Antebellum singer Charles Kelley's upcoming solo record will feature a cover of the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers song "Southern Accents". As an added bonus, background vocals on the song will be provided by the high priestess, Stevie Nicks. I can't wait to hear Stevie harmonize on this classic Tom Petty song.

http://tasteofcountry.com/lady-anteb...ck=pinned-post

Macfanforever 10-01-2015 09:26 PM

She's keeping busy.Thats nice to hear.Can't wait to hear it.

Thanks for sharing.

SisterNightroad 10-02-2015 07:53 AM

Stevie and Tom Petty is always a very good combination.

olive 10-02-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfanforever (Post 1173097)
She's keeping busy.Thats nice to hear.Can't wait to hear it.

Thanks for sharing.

yes recording with everyone but her own band

Macfanforever 10-02-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olive (Post 1173120)

Yea .It seems like it.

welcomechris 10-02-2015 01:24 PM

I LOVE THAT SONG OMG!!!! CANT BELIEVE STEVIE'S DOING THIS

sorry im freaking out this is great!!!

vivfox 10-02-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

I forget what it is right now but there was something that got you real pissed off at Stevie last year and most of your posts since then have had a very anti Stevie effect about them. This is strange because you used to be such a positive group member. Perhaps you should consider taking time off as a FM fan and start posting again when you feel more positive. What do you think?

olive 10-03-2015 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1173141)
I forget what it is right now but there was something that got you real pissed off at Stevie last year and most of your posts since then have had a very anti Stevie effect about them. This is strange because you used to be such a positive group member. Perhaps you should consider taking time off as a FM fan and start posting again when you feel more positive. What do you think?

"i feel threatened and under attack " :blob1:

sorcerer999 10-05-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

According to a friend of mine who works at "Blackbird", Stevie recorded this with Charles when she was in Nashville recording 24KG two years ago.

sleepless child 10-06-2015 07:50 AM

When does it get released?

Jondalar 10-08-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olive (Post 1173165)
"i feel threatened and under attack " :blob1:

Get back in your cage!

nicole21290 11-27-2015 03:58 AM

http://www.app.com/story/entertainme...park/76381276/

Kelley will be singing with another well known vocalist when he covers Tom Petty’s underheralded “Southern Accents,” which is from Petty’s 1985 album of the same name. Stevie Nicks will lend her voice to the tune, which will appear on Kelley’s release.

“I’ve always enjoyed singing with others,” Kelley said. “That’s kind of a lost art today but I love it.”

vivfox 11-27-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicole21290 (Post 1175706)
“I’ve always enjoyed singing with others,” Kelley said. “That’s kind of a lost art today but I love it.”

Hip Hop singers do it all the time. Maybe he should change the station every now and then.

Macfanforever 12-04-2015 02:18 PM

Charles did great last night on the CMA Country Christmas TV special.

Macfanforever 01-12-2016 11:28 AM

No since starting another thread on Charles Kelley .

I found this news on my Google news Stevie alerts section this morning.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...river-20160111

Charles Kelley Enlists Miranda Lambert, Stevie Nicks for Solo LP
Lady Antebellum singer's 'The Driver' features songs written by Chris Stapleton, Tom Petty and others
By Stephen L. Betts January 11, 2016

Charles Kelley
Charles Kelley's solo LP 'The Driver' includes appearances by Miranda Lambert and Stevie Nicks. Santiago Felipe/Getty Images

Lady Antebellum's Charles Kelley has set February 5th as the release date for his solo debut The Driver and has enlisted rock goddess Stevie Nicks and country superstar Miranda Lambert to ride along with him.

While the latter joins the Augusta, Georgia native on "I Wish You Were Here," penned by Jedd Hughes, Kelley and Nicks take on a cover of the moody "Southern Accents," the title track of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' 1985 album. The lead single from The Driver – and its title track – revisits the territory of the three-part harmony of Kelley's Lady A roots, as Dierks Bentley and Eric Paslay accompany him on that track, which they debuted in the fall during an appearance on the The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon. Their recording earned the trio a Grammy nomination.

Kelley is a co-writer of four of the LP's nine tracks, and other contributors include Chris Stapleton, Daniel Tashian and Nathan Chapman, while Kelley co-penned "Round in Circles" with his brother, singer-songwriter Josh Kelley, marking the first time the siblings had worked together since Josh's early solo efforts.

Of the title track, Kelley tells Rolling Stone Country, "'The Driver' is the last eight years of my life put in a song. That appreciation for the audience, that appreciation for your road family, and doing what you love to do."

The last song recorded for the record was "The Only One Who Gets Me," the fist time Kelley has written a song specifically for and about his wife, Cassie.

"While so many of these songs are something I specifically can relate to, it really is all of our story," Kelley notes. "It is a pure musical left turn, to take myself out of my own head and bring in a fresh perspective when we go back in to make the next Lady Antebellum record."

The Driver is available for preorder at iTunes with the title cut served up as an instant download. Additional tracks will become available each Friday with album preorders leading up to the official release on Friday, February 5th.

The Driver track listing (and songwriter credits)
"Your Love" (Abe Stoklasa, Ashley Ray)
"The Driver" feat. Dierks Bentley & Eric Paslay (Charles Kelley, Eric Paslay, Abe Stoklasa)
"Dancing Around It" (Charles Kelley, Abe Stoklasa, Daniel Tashian)
"Southern Accents" feat. Stevie Nicks (Tom Petty)
"Lonely Girl" (Chris Stapleton, Jesse Frasure)
"The Only One Who Gets Me" (Charles Kelley, Nathan Chapman)
"Round in Circles" (Charles Kelley, Josh Kelley)
"I Wish You Were Here" feat. Miranda Lambert (Jedd Hughes)
"Leaving Nashville" (Abe Stoklasa, Donovan Woods)

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3x32DI8Wh
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Jondalar 01-13-2016 02:52 AM

She sounds really good on that song!

Dodfather 01-16-2016 04:49 AM

I'm really excited for this album. I'm a country fan and think Charles has one of the best male voices around at the moment. I was surprised just how great he is when I saw lady Antebellum last year. He's a fun guy too. So yeah, that voice, plus songs with Miranda Lambert AND Stevie?! Bit of a man crush, not ashamed to say. I kinda want to be him.

BLY 01-16-2016 05:11 PM

Is a sound bite available anywhere for a listen?

michelej1 01-16-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodfather (Post 1177490)
I'm really excited for this album. I'm a country fan and think Charles has one of the best male voices around at the moment. I was surprised just how great he is when I saw lady Antebellum last year. He's a fun guy too. So yeah, that voice, plus songs with Miranda Lambert AND Stevie?! Bit of a man crush, not ashamed to say. I kinda want to be him.

I do like his voice on Blue Water. I wouldn't want to be him though. The awkward way he was leaning down and hovering over Stevie freaked me out. If I were going to be him, I'd be shorter.

Michele

KenshiMaster16 01-17-2016 05:02 PM

I love his newest released song, 'Lonely Girl.' Insanely catchy to me, been humming it for the past few days.

Phil 02-04-2016 04:03 PM

I just downloaded “Southern Accents” and it sounds pretty good. Stevie is in fine voice and sings the “momma” verse just as I expected. Her harmony, particularly at the end, is gorgeous. Available from iTunes now.

Phil 02-04-2016 11:40 PM

I picked up the cd at lunch time. The album's not as bad as I imagined it might be, but "Southern Accents" is definitely the stand-out track.

welcomechris 02-05-2016 06:06 AM

not bad, i like it. to me, the original is a treasure.

welcomechris 02-05-2016 07:45 AM

http://smarturl.it/SouthernAccentsSN

be a good noodle, buy the track

Phoenixgypsy 02-05-2016 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welcomechris (Post 1178350)
http://smarturl.it/SouthernAccentsSN

be a good noodle, buy the track

I was a good noodle and just bought the track!! I love Stevie showing up on Don and Charles albums recently. It's great promotion for her by keeping her name in the press.

BlueDenimLamp 02-05-2016 09:43 AM

Here you go!

James89 02-05-2016 12:20 PM

She sounds great in this. It just frustrates me because I can just imagine how amazing a new Mac album would be, especially with her voice in fine form. :(

paleshadow 02-05-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James89 (Post 1178356)
She sounds great in this. It just frustrates me because I can just imagine how amazing a new Mac album would be, especially with her voice in fine form. :(

Glad I checked this thread. I watched the official video and just slightly heard her vocal. I guess they have a version of the song without her vocals, or just minimized. This version is much better IMO.

Jondalar 02-05-2016 06:01 PM

Her vocal is excellent!

BLY 02-05-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jondalar (Post 1178359)
Her vocal is excellent!

Amazing it is . Bring on the new MAC album.

jkmaletic 02-05-2016 08:17 PM

Very pretty.

sorcerer999 02-05-2016 08:30 PM

Never one of my favorite songs, and I don't think there's anything all that special about this cover. Still kind of boring.

...BUT...

I wholeheartedly agree that Stevie did a great job here. Her vocal is sublime, just like on the Don Henley song from last year. And again, that was also a song that just wasn't all that great.

Merely my own opinion, but I wish when other singer/songwriters (these days) ask her to be a guest on their songs that they actually choose songs that are exciting and "worthy" of her. I haven't heard anything of the sort in the last three decades. In all honesty I can only think of three (Whenever I Call You Friend, Insider and Gold) that are any good.

BLY 02-05-2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorcerer999 (Post 1178362)
Never one of my favorite songs, and I don't think there's anything all that special about this cover. Still kind of boring.

...BUT...

I wholeheartedly agree that Stevie did a great job here. Her vocal is sublime, just like on the Don Henley song from last year. And again, that was also a song that just wasn't all that great.

Merely my own opinion, but I wish when other singer/songwriters (these days) ask her to be a guest on their songs that they actually choose songs that are exciting and "worthy" of her. I haven't heard anything of the sort in the last three decades. In all honesty I can only think of three (Whenever I Call You Friend, Insider and Gold) that are any good.

It's age. Her voice is not the same as is it was in the 70's/80's.

Phil 02-05-2016 09:30 PM

I have always loved "Southern Accents" and consider it one of Tom Petty's best songs (and I'm a major fan of his work). Considering how badly this could have been reinterpreted, I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome.

I think Stevie should have been featured earlier on with her harmony beginning at the start of the second verse and I don't like that Charles cuts in on the line "Got my own way of praying" during Stevie's verse, but it's not enough to destroy the track.

Stevie sounds great, if slightly mannered, but she generally offers up polite performances on other's tracks these days.

The overall production is pleasant, but slightly too slick and over the top towards the end.

I'd love Stevie to consider "Southern Accents" for inclusion in her next solo live show - I'd much prefer just her vocal on this song.

I note that Stevie instigated her inclusion on the recording:
http://theboot.com/charles-kelley-so...accents-video/

As an aside, I'd love to hear Stevie's take on Tom Petty's "A Face In The Crowd" - that could really be something.

PS Does Charles actually sing "praying" in the third verse? It sounds like "traying", whatever that might be.

vivfox 02-05-2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

In all honesty I can only think of three (Whenever I Call You Friend, Insider and Gold) that are any good.

Did you ever hear the song Tunnel O' Love?

WildHearted 02-06-2016 12:15 AM

Stevie sounds great. Love it.

sorcerer999 02-06-2016 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLY (Post 1178363)
It's age. Her voice is not the same as is it was in the 70's/80's.

I wasn't complaining about her voice. Like I said in my original post, I think she sounds GREAT here.

It's this version of the song itself that I don't like.

BLY 02-06-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorcerer999 (Post 1178387)
I wasn't complaining about her voice. Like I said in my original post, I think she sounds GREAT here.

It's this version of the song itself that I don't like.

Sorry about that.......my bad!

welcomechris 02-06-2016 09:07 AM

stevie + tom petty = always good

Artemis 02-06-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

In all honesty I can only think of three (Whenever I Call You Friend, Insider and Gold) that are any good.

What about Midnight Wind? Her vocal on that song blows the rest of her duets out of the water.

That being said, I LOVE this song. Not a massive fan of Tom Petty so I've never heard the original (Don't shoot me...) but I'm loving this. Stevie sounds sublime as well.