The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Peter Green (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   p.g. and THAT rugby shirt (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=54090)

lazy poker 08-19-2014 01:11 PM

p.g. and THAT rugby shirt

hi folks!

i just wondered if i'd ever seen a colour picture of peter in his striped rugby shirt . . . and i don't think i ever had. how about you? loads of b&w pix . . . and none in colour? well, there's the cover shot of the "greatest hits" album (cbs), but that doesn't really count as it's completely reddish.

somehow i always thought it to be white & blue (don't ask me why - probably because of the blues), so i bought one. and then sometime ago i read about the colours of that shirt having been yellow and green - can anyone come up with confirmed information on this?

i know - i'd be a damn lucky guy if this would be my only real problem. believe me: it ain't. but i'm just damn curious to know! :rolleyes:

FuzzyPlum 08-19-2014 03:16 PM

Perhaps it should be Green and Blue.

He's wearing the shirt on the front of Martin Celmins' book- perhaps he would know.
I've seen a b&w image of Danny wearing a striped rugby shirt- it wouldn't for some reason be the same shirt would it?

lazy poker 08-19-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum (Post 1139720)
I've seen a b&w image of Danny wearing a striped rugby shirt- it wouldn't for some reason be the same shirt would it?

it looks like danny obviously picked up the odd clothing from peter - a long-sleeved t-shirt, for example, that looked just the same as one that peter wore at the time. and (as i noticed, too) this striped rugby-shirt. and again: only b&w shots of danny's rugby.

in an older thread, thd had this to say: "this was a yellow and black hooped rugby shirt, i doubt peter played rugby but you never know?" if you're reading this, thd - where've you got that from? is there a photo to proof?

one thing for sure is it wasn't green & blue! but what a nice idea. ;) by the way: my copy of martin celmin's book has this other pic on the cover - a colour shot with peter wearing his jeans-shirt. could well be that celmins is more in the know about this, though . . . but ANYBODY is welcome to share more enlightenment on this matter!

THD 08-24-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy poker (Post 1139722)
in an older thread, thd had this to say: "this was a yellow and black hooped rugby shirt, i doubt peter played rugby but you never know?" if you're reading this, thd - where've you got that from? is there a photo to proof?

Yes that's what I said. More specificallyI would describe it as alternating horizontal hoops of gold and deep navy blue I don't know how I know this !I think he wore it on the "lost" Colour Me Pop that they did. I saw this of course , but I'm not sure that our family had a colour television at this point, though we may have done. I have described the BBC repeating a section of this on Late Night Line Up - possibly Love That Burns ,as a tribute to Peter's leaving the band This must have been around April 1970 and we probably had got a colour TV by then.
Peter went to Elliott School in Putney It turns out that this school did have rugby teams though the school colours don't look like they are gold hoops .However, the school also used the "house" system, so presumably each house had teams that played each other at various sports, so perhaps one of the house colours was gold and black /navy blue.
On the other hand maybe he bought it in a local charity shop ( the rugby team of my school- in Wansworth also -wore this combination) ,but he probably bought it of a trendy clothes stall in Kensington market !

lazy poker 08-24-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THD (Post 1140207)
Yes that's what I said. More specificallyI would describe it as alternating horizontal hoops of gold and deep navy blue I don't know how I know this !I think he wore it on the "lost" Colour Me Pop that they did. I saw this of course , but I'm not sure that our family had a colour television at this point, though we may have done. I have described the BBC repeating a section of this on Late Night Line Up - possibly Love That Burns ,as a tribute to Peter's leaving the band This must have been around April 1970 and we probably had got a colour TV by then.

. . . so it was yellow (sort of) & dark blue - thanks a million, thd! but i bet you don't know about a colour photo in existance, too, do you?! well, at least i got the blue right on my shirt. ;)
but again and again - those long lost tv appearances . . . oh my, what a shame!:(

sharksfan2000 08-24-2014 04:50 PM

I've never seen a color photo of Peter with that rugby shirt, but recently came across a lot of great photos of him in a discussion on the Les Paul Forum website:
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=177447

I'd seen most of those photos before but there were a few that were new to me (there are three pages to that discussion - be sure to check out all three).

lazy poker 08-24-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 (Post 1140292)
I've never seen a color photo of Peter with that rugby shirt, but recently came across a lot of great photos of him in a discussion on the Les Paul Forum website:

I'd seen most of those photos before but there were a few that were new to me (there are three pages to that discussion - be sure to check out all three).

. . . ooooh, thanks so much for pointing this out, sharksfan - some real nice shots there, which i haven't seen before! what a pity it's all such a ****ing long time ago . . . ooops - did i say THAT? :o well, i see the system's already crossed out the word in question on autopilot . . . (phew!)

FuzzyPlum 08-24-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Wow- a terrific collection of pics. He really did have a lot of different looks covering such a short time-frame.

zoork_1 08-25-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing!

/z

doodyhead 09-02-2014 05:41 PM

Les Paul Forum

Thanks Ken,

It is nice that Peter's name is still out there.
If only Martin C would do another printing of his biography, maybe put it on Kindle. The only way history is made is if the tales are told, OVER and OVER again

Ms Moose 09-04-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodyhead (Post 1141283)
Thanks Ken,

It is nice that Peter's name is still out there.
If only Martin C would do another printing of his biography, maybe put it on Kindle. The only way history is made is if the tales are told, OVER and OVER again

Yes you're so right! And it would be appreciated if even more information and stories were added to it:nod:

Good to see you post here, doodyhead!

Ms Moose