The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   The Early Years (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Silver Heels (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60010)

aleuzzi 08-03-2023 06:50 PM

Silver Heels

So, a rare thing for me—I’ve listened to HEROES straight through several times this week. Usually, I’m underwhelmed with most of it, but this week I’m digging the entire thing. I’m surprised how good Silver Heels is. Lame words but great riffs, cool chord changes, and a lot of energy. The background vocals on the bridge (chorus?) are so slick and cool.

chriskisn 08-04-2023 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1286495)
Usually, I’m underwhelmed with most of it

Wash your mouth out...its a great album :distress:

Was always one of my favourite albums, I bought it maybe 30 years ago and played the three I bought at once (Penguin, Mystery to Me and Heroes) over and over.

Macfan4life 08-04-2023 05:29 AM

Heroes is one of my favorite albums. Its almost as good as Mystery To Me. Highest charting Mac album pre-Buck/Nicks. The riffs on Silver Heels lured me in the first time I heard them. The album is an eclectic mix of sounds. Psychedelic, blues, rock, and ballad. Chris has a great opener with the unusual horn mix. We get a very rare angry song from Chris and 2 wonderful ballads. Angel, Bermuda Triangle and Silver Heels are Bob's best songs. But every song is a gem.
Back in 2000 I was on Bob's site and he was talking about how Mick and especially Chris would give him side eye during his speaking times during Bermuda Triangle. Supposedly they hated it. I would have loved to have known Chris's opinion of that.
Heroes was my first pre-Buck/Nicks album that I bought in 1984. Its dear to my heart. It was always my favorite pre-Nicks album. However Mystery To Me has grown even more on me the last 10 years so I go back and forth which is better. The growth both Bob and Chris show on this album shows. Many early Mac albums the albums are good but I tend to always favor Chris songs. Both Mystery and Heroes have such a good mix of both their songs shining. No hits. No singles yet it still hit #34 on Billboard.
Come A Little Bit Closer is perfect in its form on the album. But the song is so good I cant help but to hear Stevie and Lindsey's harmonies on that song. I can only imagine if Chris wanted to re-record the song with them how it would have turned out. Early Fleetwood Mac with backing vocals? Sounds like when Lindsey said: "OMG Fleetwood Mac WITH hits !"

BTW, am I the only that gets similar vibes from Bermuda Triangle and Bad Journey?

aleuzzi 08-05-2023 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskisn (Post 1286501)
Wash your mouth out...its a great album :distress:

Was always one of my favourite albums, I bought it maybe 30 years ago and played the three I bought at once (Penguin, Mystery to Me and Heroes) over and over.

I’ve always thought the actual songs (in terms of the writing) were stronger than any of the other Welch-era records, but that the murky, sometimes overproduced sound was a major misfire. (In this way, the album reminds me a bit of Behind the Mask.)

However, this past week I’ve been digging all of it. So maybe it took me 40 years (bought it when I was twelve) to “get” it. Still prefer “Angel” and “Bermuda” live to the studio versions.