The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LB newbie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=52116)

SadAngel86 05-27-2013 06:53 PM

LB newbie

Hi there! Was wondering if you Ledgies could help me. I'm a new Buckhead and I'm wondering if there's any other LB stuff out there that to discover? I've pretty much listened to all of his albums, and have all of his (released) concerts on DVD/Blu-ray).

What do you recommend a new LB fan to explore?

vivfox 05-27-2013 07:15 PM

Have you also heard all of his songs from the Fleetwood Mac albums?

SadAngel86 05-27-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivfox (Post 1094236)
Have you also heard all of his songs from the Fleetwood Mac albums?

Yes, I have heard his songs from the Mac albums and I've watched a lot of concert videos on YouTube and the like. I was just maybe wondering if there are any hidden gems you Ledgies might know about.

Lindsfan 05-27-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadAngel86 (Post 1094234)
Hi there! Was wondering if you Ledgies could help me. I'm a new Buckhead and I'm wondering if there's any other LB stuff out there that to discover? I've pretty much listened to all of his albums, and have all of his (released) concerts on DVD/Blu-ray).

Hi SadAngel :wavey:

There is plenty to discover. I'll start you out with one of MY favorite things...

Lindsey's poorly run YouTube channel. ( https://www.youtube.com/user/Lindsey...?feature=watch ) Though there isn't a lot there, what there is, is wonderful.

I love THIS VIDEO for so many wonderful little moments it holds:

THIS VIDEO (not available to embed), is his band (Neale, Brett, and Wally, talking about him...lots of love, and a nice insight into the effect he has on those around him :nod: :
http://youtu.be/Ihb6aAxlLR8

And THIS VIDEO (also not available to embed), I like, especially, because it has Red Rover soundcheck, which excites me to no end :blob1: :blob1::blob1: :
http://youtu.be/tQjTJeaIQTo

All the videos there are worth a look. Those are just a few I particularly love.

ejb1969 05-27-2013 10:46 PM

Welcome!

There's some good stuff at throwndown.net. I recommend a high speed web connection (not wi-fi)

Here's one for starters...

http://lvps87-230-78-245.dedicated.hosteurope.de/

Have fun!

Lindsfan 05-27-2013 10:47 PM

How are you with torrents?? There are some really great bootlegs out there on Dime and Throwndown. Easily, my favorite boot is Milwaukee 2006 DVD:

http://lvps87-230-78-245.dedicated.h...p?id=199&hit=1

This video is from that recording:

His smile there, and his whole demeanor, really, is so beautiful :angel:

Lindsfan 05-27-2013 11:03 PM

GOS1 (Gift of Screws Demo) is the obvious thing that you'd want to get your hands on. I know someone has that to share. If not, I'll upload mine.

And here are a few more little things to keep you occupied and happy for a whle:

Crystal (Live in Tuscaloosa, 1975): http://www.mediafire.com/download/mk...a%2C_AL_75.mp3

Lindsey's infamous stumble at the Grammys :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dr...le)%5B1%5D.avi

Go Your Own Way isolated tracks:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/75...n)_unknown.mp3

If any of these don't work (due to Mediafire cracking down), let me now, and I'll use Sendspace :thumbsup:

redtulip 05-27-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadAngel86 (Post 1094234)

How about his original Gift of Screws album? Not the released version, but the one that was leaked sometime in the late 90s/early 00s (I'm not sure on the timeline of that). I know I got the link for it somewhere in this forum but I can't remember where. I'm sure someone knows?

*edit*

Looks like it's all at this link plus some additional downloads you could check out: http://luckypsychichut.blogspot.com/...of-screws.html

Lindsfan 05-27-2013 11:17 PM

Live at San Juan Capistrano December 1992:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vn...e_SJC_1992.rar

"Lindsey Buckingham played his first-ever solo shows on Dec. 12 and 13, 1992, at two semi-secret gigs at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano. His first solo tour was coming up and these were basically two warm-up shows. They weren't allowed to advertise his name, so the ads just said "special guest" (although Lindsey did do one interview in the Orange County Register).
I went to the first of the two sold-out shows. It was packed with fans and also very heavy on Warner Bros Records executives. Very small stage, and Lindsey had three or four guitarists besides himself, if memory serves. Show was very much like you'll hear here -- great versions of solo stuff, great Mac tunes..."

These are mp3s I made from the .flac download.

michelej1 05-27-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadAngel86 (Post 1094240)
Yes, I have heard his songs from the Mac albums and I've watched a lot of concert videos on YouTube and the like. I was just maybe wondering if there are any hidden gems you Ledgies might know about.

I would seek out Time Bomb Town if you haven't heard that already, because it's one of my all time Lindsey favorites.

He also has another movie soundtrack, On The Wrong Side, but I don't like that (lyrics are good though). Dancing Across the USA from Vacation is fine.

I hope you got Make Me a Mask from The Chain boxed set. Lindsey and Richard also produced Paper Doll on there.

I would guess that you're more interested in hearing things that Lindsey has performed on as a singer and songwriter, but once you've exhausted all of that, I'd check out his production work with John Stewart, Walter Egan and, FM's own Bob Welch, because I think on these outside LPs he really proved that the talent he displayed on Rumours was not a fluke. The man knew how to craft an album and it shows. He reached such an apex in the late seventies. He was on a streak.

He's on the Warren Zevon debut album too and produced Can't Help Falling in Love for Christine and appears on her 1984 album.

Michele

Lindsfan 05-27-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1094251)

He's on the Warren Zevon debut album too and produced Can't Help Falling in Love for Christine and appears on her 1984 album.

Michele

Which reminds me, he plays and sings really crazy on Warren Zevon's, The Overdraft (from The Envoy). You can listen and/or purchase it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Overdraft-...t+warren+zevon

SadAngel86 05-27-2013 11:46 PM

Oh wow, thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting this type of a response but I should know by now not to underestimate you guys!

I am good with torrents and do download frequently. I have seen some things on ThrownDown and Dime, but I will definitely check out some of the links you all posted! Thanks!:blob2:

michelej1 05-27-2013 11:48 PM

He arranged the background vocals and sounds really great on Tom Petty's Walls and I think he and Henley do a really nice job together on You Can't Make Love.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1094254)
Which reminds me, he plays and sings really crazy on Warren Zevon's, The Overdraft (from The Envoy).

At the end of Egan's Where's the Party Lindsey just starts screaming and it makes me laugh, because he's so much like himself. Unmistakable LB.

You know, I just hear the way he is on Not that Funny and think that's his calling card. That's part of his personality put to music and I love it.

Michele

SadAngel86 05-27-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redtulip (Post 1094248)
How about his original Gift of Screws album? Not the released version, but the one that was leaked sometime in the late 90s/early 00s (I'm not sure on the timeline of that). I know I got the link for it somewhere in this forum but I can't remember where. I'm sure someone knows?

*edit*

Looks like it's all at this link plus some additional downloads you could check out: http://luckypsychichut.blogspot.com/...of-screws.html

Thanks redtulip! I do have the original GoS album! I actually found it while searching for meaning behind the lyrics to GoS! I love it (and the album!)

redtulip 05-28-2013 08:47 AM

If you're looking for videos, check out this channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tsfmnlb/...ow=grid&view=0

Lots of good stuff there plus the playlists link to a lot more videos, some of which are hard to find.

lbfan 05-28-2013 12:34 PM

A Biased, Long Reply

A biased, personal "essential" viewing and listening primer (other than the official FM and solo albums - not meant to be completely comprehensive, as I am certain I left out many items):
Vinyl Releases:
• Buckingham Nicks Album
• Cool Water (classic country-western song, released as a B-Side of Gypsy in 1982)
Live Officially Released Songs:
• Never Going Back Again (Rare on Air Radio CD – an excellent re-working of the Rumours Classic released in 1993)
• Trouble, Down on Rodeo – Live acoustic solo versions released via Rhapsody Website
• This Nearly Was Mine/Street of Dreams - Live acoustic solo version from a Dutch Radio show released as additional tracks on a European CD of the Soul Drifter single
• Love Minus Zero/No Limit – Cover of the Bob Dylan is on the Deluxe (2 CD) version of Say You Will
• Seeds We Sow Electric (Amazon Exclusive)
• End of Time Acoustic (Amazon Exclusive)
• Sleeping Around the Corner – iTunes Exclusive
Demos and Outtakes (official and bootleg versions):
• Mirage Outtakes (internet bootlegs) – Eyes of the World, Down Endless Street, Blue Monday (cover of the Fats Domino Classic)
• Rumours Demos and Outtakes (officially released) – Never Going Back Again/Brushes (working title) demos, Doesn’t Anything Last (outtake), Gold Dust Woman demo (although a Stevie song, great acoustic version – gives insights into the song production, which is further exemplified on the DVD “Classic Albums” – see below)
• Rolling Stones Covers – I Am Waiting (officially released on Under The Skin CD), She Smiled Sweetly (officially released on Seeds We Sow), Gotta Get Away (Gift of Screws Demo), Blue Turns to Gray, Singer Not the Song
• Big Yellow Taxi – Cover of the Joni Mitchell classic
• My Little Demon – Studio version
• Say Goodbye – (Gift of Screws demo) – although re-recorded and mastered for Say You Will, I actually prefer the demo version of this song, although the live version with Stevie Nicks is good too
• I really like the rocking demo Steve’s Riff (aka Wear You Down). I’m hoping that it becomes a finished song one day.
Soundtracks:
• National Lampoon Soundtrack – Holiday Road, Dancin’ Across the USA [Holiday Road released on the Lindsey Buckingham Words and Music promotional CD]
• Back to the Future Soundtrack – Time Bomb Town
• With Honors Soundtrack – On the Wrong Side
• This is 40 Soundtrack – Sick of You, Brother & Sister (with Norah Jones), She Acts Like You
Live Television Performances:
• Saturday Night Live – 1982, Bwana, Trouble (good live versions, but LB is obviously high)
• Don’t Look Down – Tonight Show 1993
• Countdown – Letterman Show 1993
• Soul Drifter – Letterman 1993
• PBS Centerstage – 1993 (close to a full concert, with some interviews included)
• VH1 Centerstage – same taping as above, includes full intro to Don’t Look Down, Tusk and a spoken introduction to Never Going Back Again
• ABC/A&E In Concert – 1993 - same taping, different edits and commercial videos included, include excellent solo acoustic versions of Soul Drifter, Never Going Back Again and This Nearly Was Mine/Street of Dreams
• Regis and Kathy Lee – 1993 - another great live acoustic version of Soul Drifter
• ABC New Years Eve Special 2001/2002 – LB’s infamous cover of George Harrison’s Here Comes The Sun
• Shut Us Down – 2007 - Conan O’Brien Show
• Private Sessions – 2008 – Songs (with band) from Gift of Screws era with interviews
Documentaries:
• Tusk Documentary – 1979 (although the overdubbed audience cheering on the concert footage is annoying)
• Fleetwood Mac Going Home – 1993 Disney Channel (good history of the entire FM saga – up to that point in time)
• Classic Albums – Rumours – 1997 (insights into song production)
• Behind the Music – Lindsey Buckingham, 2001
• Destiny Rules – 2004 – additional insights into song production and band dynamics
• Live At Bass Performance Hall – Extra Documentary – insight into record deals /going independent
Video Concerts:
• Fleetwood Mac Rosebud Concert (re-released on DVD as part of the 35th anniversary collection)
• Fleetwood Mac Mirage Concert 1982 (HBO, released on VHS tape, bootleg versions on DVD)
• Fleetwood Mac – The Dance 1997
• PBS Soundstage 2001 – Extra songs on the DVD – Down on Rodeo, I Am Waiting
• Fleetwood Mac – Live in Boston 2004
• Live At Bass Performance Hall 2007
• CMT Crossroads with Little Big Town 2007
• Songs From the Small Machine 2001
Audio Concerts:
• Live at the Coach House – 1992
• One Man Show – 2012 – excellent live versions of Stephanie and Bleed To Love Her

Miscellaneous/Trivia:
• Midnight Special from 1975 has a version of Christine McVie’s Why that really illustrates how the three singer’s voices complement one another (“voices wrap around each other”)
• The Chain – 25 Years Box Sets includes Goodbye Angel, Make Me a Mask (my least favorite LB song), and Teen Beat (cover of Sandy Nelson’s instrumental from 1959)
• I really like LB’s influence and production skills on Stevie’s Sara and Gypsy. The live version of Sara on the Fleetwood Mac Live is my favorite (especially, LB’s guitar playing).
• LB cites Elvis as an early influence and LB produced a Christine McVie cover of the Elvis staple Can’t Help Falling In Love for the soundtrack for the film A Fine Mess.
• On the Live at the Coach House audio concert (and on the PBS Center Stage video performance), LB and his “army of guitar players” take turns playing mini solos – one of my favorite live performances to rock out to.
• The Elizabethtown soundtrack contains a longer uncut version of Shut Us Down.
• LB has appeared on many TV shows not listed above where he plays songs (solo and with the band) and is interviewed, including Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen DeGeneres, Tavis Smiley, Jimmy Fallon and Charlie Rose. The Charlie Rose interview from 1993 is available on DVD.
• LB toured as a backup guitarist with the Kingston Trio. He dedicated All My Sorrows (which LB covered, as did many bands including the Kingston Trio) to Dave Guard, who passed away while LB was recording Out of the Cradle. LB’s song Jonny Stew is a great rocker about John Stewart from the Kingston Trio. LB and Stevie Nicks recorded with Stewart on his album Bombs Away Dream Babies. Stewart later recorded Liddy Buck about LB. LB appears and performs on the Kingston Trio TV show from 1982 (available on DVD).
• LB has performed on many artists’ records, including Don Henley, Johnny Cash and one of his idols, Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame.
• At Stevie’s America Heart Institute (AHI), LB, Waddy Wachtel and others played an all-acoustic version of Gypsy (which I would like to see performed live that way, one day)
• LB once appeared on stage with REM and played guitar on Everybody Hurts
• Before LB solo shows and FM shows, they play acoustic instrumentals of several of LB songs. According to Neale Heywood, they were just sitting around one day and recorded these (along with Brett Tuggle).

SadAngel86 05-28-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbfan (Post 1094278)
A biased, personal "essential" viewing and listening primer (other than the official FM and solo albums - not meant to be completely comprehensive, as I am certain I left out many items):
Vinyl Releases:
• Buckingham Nicks Album
• Cool Water (classic country-western song, released as a B-Side of Gypsy in 1982)
Live Officially Released Songs:
• Never Going Back Again (Rare on Air Radio CD – an excellent re-working of the Rumours Classic released in 1993)
• Trouble, Down on Rodeo – Live acoustic solo versions released via Rhapsody Website
• This Nearly Was Mine/Street of Dreams - Live acoustic solo version from a Dutch Radio show released as additional tracks on a European CD of the Soul Drifter single
• Love Minus Zero/No Limit – Cover of the Bob Dylan is on the Deluxe (2 CD) version of Say You Will
• Seeds We Sow Electric (Amazon Exclusive)
• End of Time Acoustic (Amazon Exclusive)
• Sleeping Around the Corner – iTunes Exclusive
Demos and Outtakes (official and bootleg versions):
• Mirage Outtakes (internet bootlegs) – Eyes of the World, Down Endless Street, Blue Monday (cover of the Fats Domino Classic)
• Rumours Demos and Outtakes (officially released) – Never Going Back Again/Brushes (working title) demos, Doesn’t Anything Last (outtake), Gold Dust Woman demo (although a Stevie song, great acoustic version – gives insights into the song production, which is further exemplified on the DVD “Classic Albums” – see below)
• Rolling Stones Covers – I Am Waiting (officially released on Under The Skin CD), She Smiled Sweetly (officially released on Seeds We Sow), Gotta Get Away (Gift of Screws Demo), Blue Turns to Gray, Singer Not the Song
• Big Yellow Taxi – Cover of the Joni Mitchell classic
• My Little Demon – Studio version
• Say Goodbye – (Gift of Screws demo) – although re-recorded and mastered for Say You Will, I actually prefer the demo version of this song, although the live version with Stevie Nicks is good too
• I really like the rocking demo Steve’s Riff (aka Wear You Down). I’m hoping that it becomes a finished song one day.
Soundtracks:
• National Lampoon Soundtrack – Holiday Road, Dancin’ Across the USA [Holiday Road released on the Lindsey Buckingham Words and Music promotional CD]
• Back to the Future Soundtrack – Time Bomb Town
• With Honors Soundtrack – On the Wrong Side
• This is 40 Soundtrack – Sick of You, Brother & Sister (with Norah Jones), She Acts Like You
Live Television Performances:
• Saturday Night Live – 1982, Bwana, Trouble (good live versions, but LB is obviously high)
• Don’t Look Down – Tonight Show 1993
• Countdown – Letterman Show 1993
• Soul Drifter – Letterman 1993
• PBS Centerstage – 1993 (close to a full concert, with some interviews included)
• VH1 Centerstage – same taping as above, includes full intro to Don’t Look Down, Tusk and a spoken introduction to Never Going Back Again
• ABC/A&E In Concert – 1993 - same taping, different edits and commercial videos included, include excellent solo acoustic versions of Soul Drifter, Never Going Back Again and This Nearly Was Mine/Street of Dreams
• Regis and Kathy Lee – 1993 - another great live acoustic version of Soul Drifter
• ABC New Years Eve Special 2001/2002 – LB’s infamous cover of George Harrison’s Here Comes The Sun
• Shut Us Down – 2007 - Conan O’Brien Show
• Private Sessions – 2008 – Songs (with band) from Gift of Screws era with interviews
Documentaries:
• Tusk Documentary – 1979 (although the overdubbed audience cheering on the concert footage is annoying)
• Fleetwood Mac Going Home – 1993 Disney Channel (good history of the entire FM saga – up to that point in time)
• Classic Albums – Rumours – 1997 (insights into song production)
• Behind the Music – Lindsey Buckingham, 2001
• Destiny Rules – 2004 – additional insights into song production and band dynamics
• Live At Bass Performance Hall – Extra Documentary – insight into record deals /going independent
Video Concerts:
• Fleetwood Mac Rosebud Concert (re-released on DVD as part of the 35th anniversary collection)
• Fleetwood Mac Mirage Concert 1982 (HBO, released on VHS tape, bootleg versions on DVD)
• Fleetwood Mac – The Dance 1997
• PBS Soundstage 2001 – Extra songs on the DVD – Down on Rodeo, I Am Waiting
• Fleetwood Mac – Live in Boston 2004
• Live At Bass Performance Hall 2007
• CMT Crossroads with Little Big Town 2007
• Songs From the Small Machine 2001
Audio Concerts:
• Live at the Coach House – 1992
• One Man Show – 2012 – excellent live versions of Stephanie and Bleed To Love Her

Miscellaneous/Trivia:
• Midnight Special from 1975 has a version of Christine McVie’s Why that really illustrates how the three singer’s voices complement one another (“voices wrap around each other”)
• The Chain – 25 Years Box Sets includes Goodbye Angel, Make Me a Mask (my least favorite LB song), and Teen Beat (cover of Sandy Nelson’s instrumental from 1959)
• I really like LB’s influence and production skills on Stevie’s Sara and Gypsy. The live version of Sara on the Fleetwood Mac Live is my favorite (especially, LB’s guitar playing).
• LB cites Elvis as an early influence and LB produced a Christine McVie cover of the Elvis staple Can’t Help Falling In Love for the soundtrack for the film A Fine Mess.
• On the Live at the Coach House audio concert (and on the PBS Center Stage video performance), LB and his “army of guitar players” take turns playing mini solos – one of my favorite live performances to rock out to.
• The Elizabethtown soundtrack contains a longer uncut version of Shut Us Down.
• LB has appeared on many TV shows not listed above where he plays songs (solo and with the band) and is interviewed, including Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen DeGeneres, Tavis Smiley, Jimmy Fallon and Charlie Rose. The Charlie Rose interview from 1993 is available on DVD.
• LB toured as a backup guitarist with the Kingston Trio. He dedicated All My Sorrows (which LB covered, as did many bands including the Kingston Trio) to Dave Guard, who passed away while LB was recording Out of the Cradle. LB’s song Jonny Stew is a great rocker about John Stewart from the Kingston Trio. LB and Stevie Nicks recorded with Stewart on his album Bombs Away Dream Babies. Stewart later recorded Liddy Buck about LB. LB appears and performs on the Kingston Trio TV show from 1982 (available on DVD).
• LB has performed on many artists’ records, including Don Henley, Johnny Cash and one of his idols, Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame.
• At Stevie’s America Heart Institute (AHI), LB, Waddy Wachtel and others played an all-acoustic version of Gypsy (which I would like to see performed live that way, one day)
• LB once appeared on stage with REM and played guitar on Everybody Hurts
• Before LB solo shows and FM shows, they play acoustic instrumentals of several of LB songs. According to Neale Heywood, they were just sitting around one day and recorded these (along with Brett Tuggle).

WOW, thank you for this! I might print this out and cross off this list as I go. Some things on here I've already seen via DVD's or torrents.:nod:

Lindsfan 05-28-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1094256)
He arranged the background vocals and sounds really great on Tom Petty's Walls

So glad you reminded me. Such a great song (especially cranked up nice and loud!!)! I've seen people discuss this song online numerous times, and the praise is always for the "circus version", featuring Lindsey. Yet another case of Lindsey taking a good song to a whole different level, and making it amazing :nod:

moon 05-28-2013 05:23 PM

What about this!!
From the Unleashed tour, the non-accoustic version of Go Insane!!

Regards!

Lindsfan 05-28-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 1094300)
What about this!!

Regards!

I get in discussions with people sometimes about wanting original GI or acoustic GI...SWS electric, or SWS acoustic. I can never decide. I love all the versions, and they're so drastically different that I wish he could play all in the same concert/setlist, but I guess it would be weird to take up 4 songs spots with, technically, only two songs :p
A girl can dream though, right? :shrug:

michelej1 05-28-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1094299)
Yet another case of Lindsey taking a good song to a whole different level, and making it amazing :nod:

Look at the difference between the old Sentimental Lady and Lindsey's. I mean, people can argue that it became a hit because FM was so famous at the time, but just listening to the two, side by side, I think the later production is quite superior. Sorry Bare Trees fans. I like both, but . . .

Michele

lbfan 05-28-2013 06:06 PM

Acoustic Intro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1094303)
I get in discussions with people sometimes about wanting original GI or acoustic GI...SWS electric, or SWS acoustic. I can never decide. I love all the versions, and they're so drastically different that I wish he could play all in the same concert/setlist, but I guess it would be weird to take up 4 songs spots with, technically, only two songs :p

I have always thought it would be nice to have an acoustic intro for Soul Drifter, Go Insane and Big Love and then launch into the ensemble versions (similar to what FM did with Rhiannon on the Dance tour). This is probably complicated on LB's solo tours as it would probably mean an awkward exchange of guitars in between the two versions.

elle 05-28-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1094303)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbfan (Post 1094309)
I have always thought it would be nice to have an acoustic intro for Soul Drifter, Go Insane and Big Love and then launch into the ensemble versions (similar to what FM did with Rhiannon on the Dance tour). This is probably complicated on LB's solo tours as it would probably mean an awkward exchange of guitars in between the two versions.

i love both acoustic and electric versions of Go Insane, and they are like 2 different songs to me. the same with acoustic and electric versions of SWS (pure bliss!).

with Big Love though, while the acoustic version is a breathtaking showstopper, i never cared about the album version.

i have noticed that some people have been repeatedly and loudly calling for the whole-band album-like version of BL and dropping the showstopper acoustic one (which is really now much more of a hit and has reached timeless status, unlike the album version).

so i'm curious what is an opinion in this forum, among primarily Lindsey fans... do people here think he should swap the acoustic BL for the full-band version?

lbfan 05-28-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1094312)
so i'm curious what is an opinion in this forum, among primarily Lindsey fans... do people here think he should swap the acoustic BL for the full-band version?

I would love to hear an ensemble version of Big Love. It would be an absolute riot if they could get Stevie to do the "love grunts." Neither one (ensemble version of Big Love, or Stevie doing the love grunts) will ever happen, though.

elle 05-28-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbfan (Post 1094314)
I would love to hear an ensemble version of Big Love. It would be an absolute riot if they could get Stevie to do the "love grunts." Neither one (ensemble version of Big Love, or Stevie doing the love grunts) will ever happen, though.

lol. that's why people want the full band version. i finally get it. ;) :D :laugh:

michelej1 05-28-2013 07:20 PM

Since he's never done BL with the band, it'd be hard for me to know whether I like it unless I hear it. I don't think the album version of the song is an indicator of how it would be live with the band.

Michele

elle 05-28-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1094318)
Since he's never done BL with the band, it'd be hard for me to know whether I like it unless I hear it. I don't think the album version of the song is an indicator of how it would be live with the band.

Michele

well yeah... but he's never done live version of electric SWS either. and i still want to hear it. :nod: bad!! :blob2:

lbfan 05-28-2013 07:38 PM

Seeds We Sow Electric

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1094321)
well yeah... but he's never done live version of electric SWS either. and i still want to hear it. :nod: bad!! :blob2:

I think that Seeds We Sow electric version would sound a lot like Eyes of the World come Live in Boston. Very fast and uplifting!

michelej1 05-28-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbfan (Post 1094323)
I think that Seeds We Sow electric version would sound a lot like Eyes of the World come Live in Boston. Very fast and uplifting!

And EOTW is a song that I never would have asked for live, just based on the album, but it sounds pretty good in concert. More powerful than I would have guessed from the studio version.

Michele

SadAngel86 05-28-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

What about this!!

Regards!

This was great! Thank you! I guess there is stuff on YouTube I have yet to explore.....

Lindsfan 05-28-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

What about this!!

Regards!

moon, you got me searching YouTube for more versions of this. And so, now I see your Pittsburgh '09, and I raise you a Milwaukee '09 (from our own Erin :xoxo: ).

Oh. My. God. :blob1::blob1::blob1:

Dex 05-29-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

What about this!!

Regards!

Oooh I love this, moon, thanks! I had no idea he performed it this way.

This thread is great! I'm discovering so much awesome. :)

I'm just a kinda-sorta-half-assed-maybe-BuckHead, so I'm not really the one to be answering your questions, SadAngel. But I will say that I just watched Destiny Rules for the first time last night and it's essential viewing for any fan of his. Even my stubborn-as-all-hell fiance, who is pretty much a Stevie-only-Lindsey-is-such-a-jerk Mac fan, warmed to him considerably after watching, and is now giving my copies of his solo albums a much closer look. If it pulled that off, it is one powerful, mysterious DVD.

SadAngel86 05-29-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1094340)
moon, you got me searching YouTube for more versions of this. And so, now I see your Pittsburgh '09, and I raise you a Milwaukee '09 (from our own Erin :xoxo: ).

Oh my god, indeed! Especially the ending!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1094381)

I'm just a kinda-sorta-half-assed-maybe-BuckHead, so I'm not really the one to be answering your questions, SadAngel. But I will say that I just watched Destiny Rules for the first time last night and it's essential viewing for any fan of his. Even my stubborn-as-all-hell fiance, who is pretty much a Stevie-only-Lindsey-is-such-a-jerk Mac fan, warmed to him considerably after watching, and is now giving my copies of his solo albums a much closer look. If it pulled that off, it is one powerful, mysterious DVD.

Thanks, Dex. I have seen Destiny Rules, and own it as well. One of the first things I did was scope out FM documentaries. But great for getting your fiancee in on the action!

moon 05-29-2013 02:33 PM

Thanks for your comments!! Well, one night I was searching for this version, because I only knew they performed it in 2009.
I watched the Erin's version. God, amazing!!!!!!!!
Regards!

elle 05-29-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dex (Post 1094381)

wow, that's great and unexpected. before i first watched that DVD all i read was SN fans complaining how that DVD shows him as such a jerk. then a watched the DVD and couldn't understand what they are talking about. still don't.

Dex 05-29-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1094432)
wow, that's great and unexpected. before i first watched that DVD all i read was SN fans complaining how that DVD shows him as such a jerk. then a watched the DVD and couldn't understand what they are talking about. still don't.

Yes! Given the infamy of that documentary I was really expecting all sorts of shouting and drama, and there was none of that. There are times where Lindsey comes off unpleasantly to me, but none were in this film. His artistic passion was so obvious, and he so deeply cared about the project and really was bending over backwards to make it a success for everybody involved, it was impossible not to be endeared by him. We both found it all really touching. The whole band seems to operate in a very business-like fashion, rather than a "fun" one, and I guess that's what some Stevie fans react to.

An aside: The film also made me realize that I have no idea what a Mixer actually does. :laugh: I have much to learn, I guess. :rolleyes:

juniper 06-07-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1094340)

Great video!! I love this version - esp like his vocal inflections, I think on the words 'always' and 'like' - just the way he raises his voice a little. Takes it to a great place - just one of many many examples of those great little tweaks he does on vocals and guitar that make his stuff so special. To this day, I still catch things that are new to my ear on songs I've listened to million times.

jetta07 06-18-2013 01:24 AM

1992 interview and live performances in his home studio; the passion he puts into Countdown (part 1) and Street of Dreams (part 2) is incredible.

This is one of my favorites -- Lindsey switches roles and interviews a variety of musicians on a UK music show- one of the best parts is around 4:25 when he is left on his own, unfortunately, with very little to say..:laugh:

Great thread -- lots of stuff I am familiar with, but finding many new gems as well!

SadAngel86 07-11-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetta07 (Post 1096410)
1992 interview and live performances in his home studio; the passion he puts into Countdown (part 1) and Street of Dreams (part 2) is incredible.

This is one of my favorites -- Lindsey switches roles and interviews a variety of musicians on a UK music show- one of the best parts is around 4:25 when he is left on his own, unfortunately, with very little to say..:laugh:

Great thread -- lots of stuff I am familiar with, but finding many new gems as well!

I really loved that 1992 interview set with the performances from OOTC. Just incredible emotion!

Oh god, 4:37 in that UK interview when he laughs awkwardly. I just about died.:laugh: In addition to that guy reciting a poem at 11:38 and Lindsey doing the pizza gag again after his second guest leaves. The contest thingy at the end was weird. So awkward and funny at the same time!