The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Holiday Road (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60164)

BLY 11-27-2023 05:22 PM

Holiday Road

Did anyone catch some band during the Macys Day Parade doing Holiday Road? It has to be Lindsey’s biggest solo hit.

jbrownsjr 11-27-2023 07:25 PM

I've had so many friends say, "Oh my lord, he sang and wrote that??"

Villavic 11-27-2023 10:24 PM

You may say I am crazy, but I don't know why each (unexpected) time I listen Holiday Road, I think it's a Michael Sembello song and relate that song with Gremlins movie. Then after 10 nanoseconds I always react and realize Megamadness is the Sembello Gremlins song, and Holiday Road is the Lindsey's National Lampoon's Vacation song.

I'm not implying both songs are very similar. I'm just saying that confusion happens to mean often.

Macfan4life 11-28-2023 05:43 AM

He has made more money from Holiday Road than the sale of all of his solo albums combined times ten. It has been used in countless commercials.

David 11-28-2023 12:05 PM

Did you guys know that “Holiday Road” has the same chord progression as Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time”?

HomerMcvie 11-28-2023 03:33 PM

Last time I saw Lindsey solo(probably 10 years ago), I was disappointed that he wasn't singing the chorus(tracks). Even the dog at the end was tracks.:rolleyes:

jbrownsjr 11-29-2023 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1290168)
Did you guys know that “Holiday Road” has the same chord progression as Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time”?

Don't know why, but this gave me a good chuckle. :]

John Run 12-02-2023 01:46 PM

Did you all know Lindsey played or programmed all the instruments on Holiday Road and is the sole vocalist? He is credited on the track with the following-

Lead and backing vocals, electric guitars, bass guitar, keyboards, Fairlight CMI, percussion, Linn LM-1 programming, Roland 909 programming.

I often wonder if it was Lindsey's need for total control that necessitated him being the sole player on so many tracks, or was it his snail pace working preference that drove his lack of collaboration, as booking 3 or 6 hour sessions are near impossible at his work pace.

I sometimes think about how good Lindsey's solo work may have sounded backed by LA session legends like Nathan East on bass, Greg Phillinganes on Keyboards, and John Robinson on drums.

His most frequent solo album contributors were John and Mick.

Villavic 12-02-2023 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Run (Post 1290256)
Did you all know Lindsey played or programmed all the instruments on Holiday Road and is the sole vocalist? He is credited on the track with the following-

Lead and backing vocals, electric guitars, bass guitar, keyboards, Fairlight CMI, percussion, Linn LM-1 programming, Roland 909 programming.

I often wonder if it was Lindsey's need for total control that necessitated him being the sole player on so many tracks, or was it his snail pace working preference that drove his lack of collaboration, as booking 3 or 6 hour sessions are near impossible at his work pace.

I sometimes think about how good Lindsey's solo work may have sounded backed by LA session legends like Nathan East on bass, Greg Phillinganes on Keyboards, and John Robinson on drums.

I am not surprised. In OOTC ehe is credited on vocals, guitars, keyboards, synthesizers, bass, drums, percussion, drum and percussion programming. Just 4 guys collaborated on some songs (organ bass and percussion).
And it is known the band gave him some freedom in Tusk.

Seems the teamwork is not a very present skill in Lindsey at the studio.

Macfan4life 12-03-2023 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Run (Post 1290256)

Did he not also play just about everything on Go Insane? I seem to remember when he was on Rockline in 1984 this was brought up. Technology was making it easier for him to play all these parts.
Even the song Trouble he sampled Mick's drumming because he did not like the way Mick's drumming turned out. The song is a 4 second loop of Mick's drumming and Lindsey added the additional percussion parts.

WalkAThinLine. 12-03-2023 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1290265)
Did he not also play just about everything on Go Insane? I seem to remember when he was on Rockline in 1984 this was brought up. Technology was making it easier for him to play all these parts.
Even the song Trouble he sampled Mick's drumming because he did not like the way Mick's drumming turned out. The song is a 4 second loop of Mick's drumming and Lindsey added the additional percussion parts.

Buckingham played all of the instruments on Go Insane with the exception of the keyboards and cowbell on "I Want You" and the bass guitar on the title track. It's arguably his only album where guitars aren't the focal point of the album. Rather, many of the sounds were triggered from the Fairlight CMI. He also played a 19th century lap harp on "D.W. Suite", which was a gift from Mick Fleetwood.

David 12-04-2023 12:20 PM

I don’t think Lindsey played everything on his albums because he had trouble working with people. I think his method could only be realized in a solitary setting. When he talks about painting, he means it almost literally. Ordinarily, you take a bunch of people into a recording session and you have to articulate and verbalize everything so that communication happens. Lindsey’s method is to toy around with tools and instruments beneath the surface of language, except with oneself. A lot of his best work is probably happy accidents — trying something else and discovering something that sounds better extemporaneously, which then gets added to the tape and you keep going from there. Completely unplanned. Some of his songs are probably in a form that he had no idea he would reach when he went in that morning. This requires solitude, lowering all barriers, and letting musical ideas led you (as he’s said in interviews multiple times). In the same way that Stevie loves sitting at her piano at home with her candles and incense and songwriting, Lindsey finds his blissiest bliss searching for musical ideas without having to explain them first to other people.

I would venture to say that any of us who buy ourselves a keyboard workstation with thousands of complex sound effects on it love to do that very thing: use it by ourselves without any preconceived plan or agenda. We just start pressing buttons, turning knobs, and hitting the keys, and then we look up out the window and it’s already sunset. It’s exactly like painting, or writing.

HomerMcvie 12-04-2023 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1290279)
In the same way that Stevie loves sitting at her piano at home with her candles and incense and songwriting

I would venture to say that any of us who buy ourselves a keyboard workstation with thousands of complex sound effects on it love to do that very thing: use it by ourselves without any preconceived plan or agenda. We just start pressing buttons, turning knobs, and hitting the keys, and then we look up out the window and it’s already sunset. It’s exactly like painting, or writing.

Pounding out her F and G chords(apparently the only two chords $he knows) for infinity?

I HATE that there are a million versions of "the same" sound on keyboards now. When I buy a new one, I DO spend an evening going through them, and assign them to the user banks, "okay, THIS is my Rhodes sound...THIS is my organ sound". I hate that there are 45 Rhodes sounds to choose from...so I pick one, and that's it.