The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lindsey at USC - this week? (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49532)

elle 01-13-2012 05:54 PM

Lindsey at USC - this week?

Lindsfan just sent me this. who is going and taking their iphone?

http://uscpopmusicprogram.tumblr.com/

January 13, 2012
Welcome

The USC Popular Music Program has a unique class called “Popular Music Forum” and if you’re someone who can’t experience it in-person, this is the perfect place for you. This blog is an exclusive look into each forum.

But what exactly is the “Popular Music Forum?” In official USC course description speech, it is:

“A weekly lecture series addressing a wide range of special topics and issues *confronting the popular musician.”
In other words, it’s a speaker series where artists and other music industry professionals (producers, managers, etc) discuss with students about the industry and their experiences with it.

The key word here is “discuss.”

The forums are more than just a “lecture.” It’s a discussion, or Q&A session, where students can ask questions and converse with the guest.

This week, we will be welcoming Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac to our forum.

(Source: uscpopmusicprogram)

elle 01-13-2012 06:05 PM

seems to be today (maybe already happened?):

@reesfinley Lindsey Buckingham is our guest for pop forum today. One of my favorite guitarists and singer songwriters of all time. Soo excited.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/music/pro...popular_music/

michelej1 01-13-2012 06:11 PM

Hmmm. Can't wait to hear more.

Michele

elle 01-13-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1035653)
Hmmm. Can't wait to hear more.

Michele

if we ever hear back from these kids. i'm tweeting them to take their iphones and record...maybe somebody will actually do it:shrug:

Nico 01-13-2012 06:54 PM

They have to! My gosh, the great thing about this generation is that you can capture nearly anything with one click.

Thank you so much for letting us know elle!

elle 01-13-2012 07:45 PM

@willbaldocchi
Just watched Lindsey Buckingham speak and play some songs for our class including "Never Going Back Again". So f***ing amazing

elle 01-13-2012 07:50 PM

@riot_ross Gotta mail a package for @HoursLost and then off to my blogger job! Today's guest speaker is Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac!

@ellellew @riot_ross do you plan to blog about it later? record the session using iphone? very curious to hear how it went...

@riot_ross @ellellew Yup! I will be writing about it. You will be able to read about it on http://uscpopmusicprogram.tumblr.com/

Cammie 01-13-2012 07:51 PM

Music Discussion with LB !!!

:cool: Thanks for the Lindsey information!!!

Where do you hear the latest? If it
were not for you ppl in the know our
little " Fandom Club" would miss out
on the latest news about our Guitar
Genius and favorite Singer/Producer!
Please ... keep up the good work for us!:]

ps They also produced gorgeous children! :nod:

The "Track by Track" of Will fixing his hair is...:lol:

elle 01-13-2012 09:49 PM

someone who was there commented on Nickslive's blog:

Anonymous said...
I was there in the front row, I'm a Studio/Jazz Guitar major at USC. It was amazing, Lindsey was interviewed about a lot of stuff by the director of USC's pop music program, played "Big Love" and "Never Going Back Again", and took questions from us students. He also stuck around for a bit after the formal talk was over to talk one-on-one with people, sign stuff and take pictures. Very friendly and appreciative of all the compliments.
13 January, 2012 7:42 PM

http://nickslive.blogspot.com/2012/0...peaker-at.html

EDIT: more comments here: http://www.facebook.com/FleetwoodMacNewsAndReviews [and commenter's photo with lindsey from today http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile...13054554_n.jpg

elle 01-13-2012 10:30 PM

someone who was there commented on Nickslive's FB post at
http://www.facebook.com/FleetwoodMacNewsAndReviews

Ethan Sherman can confirm. It was awesome, LB played Big Love and Never Going Back Again. He stuck around after the formal talk to speak with people one-on-one and take pictures and whatnot. Such a friendly guy
about an hour ago

Fleetwood Mac News and Reviews This is cool Ethan... How long was the session? I'm guessing the pic in your profile is from today?
about an hour ago

Ethan Sherman it went for about an hour, and yes the picture is from today
59 minutes ago

Fleetwood Mac News and Reviews He didn't by chance give any indication on what his plans were going forward did he?
57 minutes ago

Ethan Sherman No I didn't get a chance to ask. Would have been interested to hear though, although when somebody asked about playing on Stevie's album he said he would love to make more records with her either with FM or as a duo
54 minutes ago

Fleetwood Mac News and Reviews Well THAT'S good to hear! Thanks for the info... Nice surprise today to hear he was out and about inspiring people LOL
51 minutes ago

Ethan Sherman Yeah it was quite an experience. A couple other tidbits that might be of interest- the cancelled Europe tour was brought up and Lindsey talked about what happened and seemed pretty down about it. He also drives a shiny black Mercedes.
36 minutes ago

Fleetwood Mac News and Reviews Nice! Too bad he didnt say they were going to try and go again.
24 minutes ago

CADreaming 01-13-2012 10:56 PM

^Thanks for sharing that Elle. :)

Lindsfan 01-14-2012 02:21 AM

From Twitter:
@KJacinthPhoto
Just shot Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac today at USC

http://i43.tinypic.com/2diisk4.jpg

michelej1 01-14-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1035707)
someone who was there commented on Nickslive's FB post at
http://www.facebook.com/FleetwoodMacNewsAndReviews

Ethan Sherman can confirm. It was awesome, LB played Big Love and Never Going Back Again.

Ah, ick! Do Big Love, but why not do one of your new songs too. Maybe increase awareness of the album. In a small setting like that, without the spark of people reacting to him holding the notes (in that momentum-killing way of his), I think NGBA must have been worse than ever.

Anyway, I'm glad that he does events like this and thanks for finding out about them and bringing us the news, Elle.

Michele

elle 01-14-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1035799)
Ah, ick! Do Big Love, but why not do one of your new songs too.

i've been on a mean streak lately so i have to selfishly say that i'm happy he didn't do something like RAB there - people/fans who were at 92Y are still the only ones who got to hear it live!:cool:

obviously, i would change my mind fast if there was a recording from yesterday...

and some of the students there were apparently well informed about what he's been up to if they brought up cancelled european tour so maybe they did deserve some new songs...

elle 01-16-2012 09:26 AM

A visit with Lindsey Buckingham

http://uscpopmusicprogram.tumblr.com/

@riot_ross I'm the official blogger for USC's Pop Music Program. Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac visited!

January 15, 2012

A visit with Lindsey Buckingham

Photo Credit: Seeds We Sow Press Photos

As they waited outside of USC’s Carson Soundstage, students anxiously asked when they would be allowed to enter the first Pop Music Forum of the spring semester.

To kick start the speaker series, Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac stopped by for an hour-long visit.

From playing in the big leagues of major labels with Fleetwood Mac to releasing solo efforts, Buckingham has seen both spheres of the performance music world.

The forum began with speaking about working with record companies. He talked about how labels sometimes push bands to create what has already successfully worked for them in the past.

To describe what he meant, he said labels have a business model that mirrors the idea, “If it works, run it in the ground.”

The creation of “Tusk,” an anthem performed by USC’s Marching Band at every football game, was a time where Buckingham was finding a differentiating balance between being commercial and verging away from typical mainstream music.

“A lot of people don’t ever call upon that part of themselves to differentiate,” said Buckingham.

Fleetwood Mac existed for almost 10 years before Buckingham joined them, along with Stevie Nicks. The band started off playing 12-bar blues and became more experimental, eventually including more styles.

Fleetwood has had several songwriters, but Buckingham thinks of himself to be more of a stylist. He never took formal lessons and doesn’t read music. Because of that, he said he is more like a painter who slops paint on a canvas.

“You have to find your own manner of making it work,” he said.

Most guitarists use a pick when they strum along, but Buckingham chooses to let his fingers individually do all the work. To demonstrate, he performed Fleetwood Mac’s “Big Love,” having some students rise from their seats to get a better look.

His finger picking technique evolved from learning how to play‘50s rock and roll and folk music.

When Elvis came around, “it was a life changing event,” he said.

Towards the end of the discussion, students were given the chance to directly ask him questions. Some questions called attention to what it was like to work with Stevie Nicks, how to deal with issues while touring and how to achieve the perfect “Fleetwood Mac harmony.”

One great aspect of the Pop Music Forum is that artists like Buckingham can provide valuable tips.

“Remember who you are and why you’re doing what you’re doing,” was one he offered to everyone in the room.

To bring the forum to an end, Buckingham performed “Never Going Back Again,” filling the room with his distinctive voice and ending with a loud applause from the students.

(Source: uscpopmusicprogram)

poetinmyheart 01-16-2012 01:05 PM

This sounds great. Wish someone had been sneaky enough to record some videos. Maybe some will surface.

elle 01-16-2012 01:28 PM

UK tour response

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetinmyheart (Post 1036049)
This sounds great. Wish someone had been sneaky enough to record some videos. Maybe some will surface.

yeah, i'm still hoping maybe someone recorded either audio or video...

a follow-up tweet about LB's response to UK tour cancellation question:

@ellellew @riot_ross nice - thanks for sharing! :) do you remember what he said about cancelled UK tour?

@riot_ross @ellellew No problem!Yes,he said due to one of the member's surgeries and recovery, they were unable to reschedule.They felt really bad.

michelej1 01-16-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1036027)
and how to achieve the perfect “Fleetwood Mac harmony.”

I'd like to know how he answered that one. Obviously, when you get three singers together, they can harmonize. It's no big deal. But I want to hear his words, because I love the way Christine described just singing a song and having Lindsey and Stevie fall in after her. It makes me a little giddy to think about and I want to know what Lindsey would say.

Obviously, Christine was talking about rehearsals for the White album, but even later that little impromptu snatch of Kiss and Run we got was still magical. They just turn it on.

Michele

elle 01-16-2012 04:51 PM

all - check comment #3 below this article http://www.nickslive.blogspot.com/20...l#comment-form - it seems that someone recorded the whole hour.

poetinmyheart 01-16-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1036067)
all - check comment #3 below this article http://www.nickslive.blogspot.com/20...l#comment-form - it seems that someone recorded the whole hour.

Brilliant. Downloading as we speak.

Nico 01-16-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1036067)

Fantastic!! Thank you SO much elle!

poetinmyheart 01-16-2012 05:50 PM

Oh god, I really love Lindsey! I enjoyed listening to that interview and am glad that someone recorded it. Thanks for drawing our attention to where to find it elle.

elle 01-16-2012 06:32 PM

Ok now, what was wrong with june again?!?!?

elle 01-16-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1035799)
him holding the notes (in that momentum-killing way of his), I think NGBA must have been worse than ever.

so apparently he's listening to you Michele - NGBA was fast!! and which guitar did he use for both songs?!

elle 01-17-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1036054)
I'd like to know how he answered that one. Obviously, when you get three singers together, they can harmonize. It's no big deal. But I want to hear his words, because I love the way Christine described just singing a song and having Lindsey and Stevie fall in after her. It makes me a little giddy to think about and I want to know what Lindsey would say.

Obviously, Christine was talking about rehearsals for the White album, but even later that little impromptu snatch of Kiss and Run we got was still magical. They just turn it on.

what did you think about his answer? a bit more prosaic then Christine's :laugh: - who knew flute and oboe may sound good together?!

Lindsfan 01-18-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1036286)
what did you think about his answer? a bit more prosaic then Christine's :laugh: - who knew flute and oboe may sound good together?!

I liked his breathy imitation of Chris's voice :D

Question for the guitar players...

At about the 24:50 mark he's asked about the M1, and in his answer he says something about it "not being representative of anything that he might play today, if he plays today", and that all his gear just got back from England. So the guitar he plays during this forum is something he doesn't usually play, is how I understood it...but it's confusing the way he words it, without video of the discussion. So, any idea what guitar he is playing - just from the sound??? :shrug:

CADreaming 01-18-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1036448)
I liked his breathy imitation of Chris's voice :D

Question for the guitar players...

At about the 24:50 mark he's asked about the M1, and in his answer he says something about it "not being representative of anything that he might play today, if he plays today", and that all his gear just got back from England. So the guitar he plays during this forum is something he doesn't usually play, is how I understood it...but it's confusing the way he words it, without video of the discussion. So, any idea what guitar he is playing - just from the sound??? :shrug:

He described it as one of two that he used when he first joined FM, the other being a Telecaster, if anyone knows based on that information. I'm going to throw out a guess - Gibson Les Paul or Fender Stratocaster?

Lindsfan 01-18-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1036456)
He described it as one of two that he used when he first joined FM, the other being a Telecaster, if anyone knows based on that information. I'm going to throw out a guess - Gibson Les Paul or Fender Stratocaster?

OK, see, that's what I thought too, originally! I was sure it was the Les Paul, but then I listened again and I took what he said differently :shrug: Maybe I listened too many times :distress: I'm going with you, then, that it's the LP. I don't think it sounds like a Strat ( though that's based on pretty much nothing - lol! ).

elle 01-18-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1036457)
OK, see, that's what I thought too, originally! I was sure it was the Les Paul, but then I listened again and I took what he said differently :shrug: Maybe I listened too many times :distress: I'm going with you, then, that it's the LP. I don't think it sounds like a Strat ( though that's based on pretty much nothing - lol! ).

and another tidbit of info - person who asked him about harmonies said she doesn't know guitars well, but it looked like the one on the album cover. can someone figure out from the sound whether it really was that guitar or some other one looking similarly?

Lindsfan 01-18-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1036458)
and another tidbit of info - person who asked him about harmonies said she doesn't know guitars well, but it looked like the one on the album cover. can someone figure out from the sound whether it really was that guitar or some other one looking similarly?

That threw me off too, since neither the LP nor the Strat look like the Caruthers on the cover of SWS. So, I decided to dismiss her comment all together, and assume that if it has 6 strings, a neck and a body that it looks the same to her :lol:

Lindsfan 01-18-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1036458)

Yeah, I'd still like to have a guitar player confirm based on the sound, too.

CADreaming 01-18-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsfan (Post 1036460)
Yeah, I'd still like to have a guitar player confirm based on the sound, too.

I think it's the Gibson. Maybe he had the others there too? I'm still listening so I don't know if he played an acoustic.

michelej1 01-18-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 1036286)

Well, I did like his imitation. He's talked about Christine's warm, honey tone contrasted with his and Stevie's nasal voices in the past.

I was surprised to hear him say that being on the road is relatively easy compared to the studio, because I was always under the impression that he thought going on the road for Tango would be even worse than the recording experience was.

I laughed when he said the hardest part of being on the road is the boredom and getting in trouble while trying to become un-bored. That's a good way of putting the adulterous urges.

Michele

michelej1 01-18-2012 10:20 PM

Oh, the "Paul Simon was my bitch" line was extremely funny. He's a scamp.

Michele

Nico 01-18-2012 10:25 PM

Not to vary off-topic of all this lovely technical stuff you all are talking about, but I finally listened to the whole interview. I rather liked it- outside of the 'explanation' for the tour cancellation of course- and he seemed to be in a good mood.

My favorite line?

"Paul Simon was my bitch."

Well, you know, Paul Simon is only my 2nd favorite songwriter of all time and the fact that he was fanboying LB (and rather hilarious) in that skit is always memorable to me.

CADreaming 01-18-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelej1 (Post 1036463)

I laughed when he said the hardest part of being on the road is the boredom and getting in trouble while trying to become un-bored. That's a good way of putting the adulterous urges.

Michele

:laugh: That was funny.

CADreaming 01-18-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 1036471)
Not to vary off-topic of all this lovely technical stuff you all are talking about, but I finally listened to the whole interview. I rather liked it- outside of the 'explanation' for the tour cancellation of course- and he seemed to be in a good mood.

My favorite line?

"Paul Simon was my bitch."

Well, you know, Paul Simon is only my 2nd favorite songwriter of all time and the fact that he was fanboying LB (and rather hilarious) in that skit is always memorable to me.

I think this is one of my favorite interviews. He's more off the cuff and even a little spontaneous. I loved it when he played the different examples: rockabilly to folk to blues. That was cool.

elle 01-18-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Well, I did like his imitation. He's talked about Christine's warm, honey tone contrasted with his and Stevie's nasal voices in the past.

i am not sure what i think about the imitation but i like the explanation that she basically sings from her diaphragm (as one is supposed to) as opposed to a way he and stevie sing. forgot about the part when he called his voice nasal too.:laugh:

Quote:

I was surprised to hear him say that being on the road is relatively easy compared to the studio, because I was always under the impression that he thought going on the road for Tango would be even worse than the recording experience was.

yeah, b/c he always says road would have been 100 times worse when he talks about why he left before touring Tango.:nod: maybe being unbored would have not worked out that well at the time?!:p

Quote:

i know, very cute. :laugh:

elle 01-18-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1036475)
I think this is one of my favorite interviews. He's more off the cuff and even a little spontaneous. I loved it when he played the different examples: rockabilly to folk to blues. That was cool.

yeah that was great! and i did like both songs with that electric sounding guitar, whatever it was.

Lindsfan 01-18-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1036475)

Yeah, so we finally got him a little more spontaneous and look at what happened...he says what he said about the UK cancel :distress: Maybe he really should just stick to rehearsed answers ;)

I liked that part too! :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADreaming (Post 1036462)
I think it's the Gibson. Maybe he had the others there too? I'm still listening so I don't know if he played an acoustic.

I think it was just the one guitar for both songs.