The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Lindsey Buckingham (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   cool lindsey demo from buck/nicks time (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=59879)

Penguin Emeritus 02-19-2023 04:16 PM

cool lindsey demo from buck/nicks time

Not sure if this has been posted here before but i figured i'd put it up...found it about a week ago and have been playing it ever since. great song.

i hope this works lol i'm so bad w this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FpCcZvx8w

-Lis

hestergail 02-20-2023 10:35 AM

Wow! pretty awesome demo! Thank you so much for sharing!

Penguin Emeritus 02-20-2023 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hestergail (Post 1282948)
Wow! pretty awesome demo! Thank you so much for sharing!

you're welcome! i can't get it out of my head , i really like it!

--Lis

David 02-24-2023 03:59 PM

I really really really like this, Lisa. That singing voice is THE voice. The 1976 Fleetwood Mac could have turned this into a barn burner as popular as Go Your Own Way. I can almost hear an arrangement taking shape in Sausalito, expanding on the acoustic and the two electrics in harmony, along with Chris on acoustic piano and our spare, powerful rhythm section.

The electric guitar harmony lines in tandem remind me of So Afraid and Eyes of the World. I would have urged Lindsey to try a three-part harmony on electric guitar lines, and just go wild (like what he did on Love from Here).

anusha 06-03-2023 08:13 PM

What a great find! The bones of the song are there but sadly they didn’t get a chance to work on it as a band. Sometimes these half finished demos are the best versions anyway (for Stevie, I love the early demos of The Dealer and am not impressed with the final recording).

sleepless child 06-04-2023 11:03 AM

I heard this several years ago. I always wondered if Stevie didn't write this. It sounds like her lyrics and style during this time. But it very well could be written by Lindsey. I think this song is awesome and I really wish it had been recorded.

DownOnRodeo 06-04-2023 09:50 PM

What a gem. Thanks, Lisa:cool:

The sparse arrangement and thoughtful lyrics give me a Joni vibe.

DownOnRodeo 06-04-2023 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepless child (Post 1285123)
I always wondered if Stevie didn't write this. It sounds like her lyrics and style during this time.

I'm inclined to agree.

On Ice 06-05-2023 07:35 AM

I agree with others that the song sounds more of a Stevie write than Lindsey, she wrote so many awesome songs during the period. It will remain a mystery why they never picked up on it, I'm sure somewhere along the way it was just forgotten about. Too bad but at least we have this great little demo.

bombaysaffires 06-05-2023 11:55 AM

I dunno.... sounds entirely plausible as a Lindsey write. If it was written in the BN days, the bit about being out on the road seems fitting for the time he went out on the road with the Everly Brothers etc on his own.... she was alone and wrote Landslide, and he could well have written this.

The lyrics seem frankly a bit too sparse for Stevie. Her lyrics are more detailed generally than his and this doesn't feel quite verbose enough to be her.:shrug:

Penguin Emeritus 06-06-2023 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombaysaffires (Post 1285147)
I dunno.... sounds entirely plausible as a Lindsey write. If it was written in the BN days, the bit about being out on the road seems fitting for the time he went out on the road with the Everly Brothers etc on his own.... she was alone and wrote Landslide, and he could well have written this.

The lyrics seem frankly a bit too sparse for Stevie. Her lyrics are more detailed generally than his and this does feel quite verbose enough to be her.:shrug:

I totally agree. it sounds like a Lindsey demo for all the reasons you said. Those lyrics don't strike me as something Stevie would write at all.

--Lis

DownOnRodeo 06-06-2023 09:36 AM

But.. but...

Stevie's lyrics were much sparser earlier on, compared to later on.

This track reminds me of Stevie's "Without You."

I also think, as Lindsey has noted, that Stevie has (or had) a canny/intuitive/dymanic sense of rhythm/phrasing, whereas I feel the rhythm/phrasing of Lindsey's lyrics can hang a bit awkwardly/stiltedly/prosaically over the music by comparison. And in this demo the vocals seem to have a funky dynamism that falls more under the former type.

Or could it be a rare co-write--Lindsey's music and verse with Stevie contributing a chorus lyric?

Villavic 06-06-2023 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus (Post 1282935)

I figured out the picture was from Tusk era (from Lindsey's haircut). Couldn't find the entire picture until I googled Fleetwood Mac 1979, and here is. I've seen many from Tusk photo sessions but I don't remember I have seen that exact picture before. Cool.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015...isable=upscale

sue 06-06-2023 12:53 PM

I love this song, after about 10 times of playing it ..since yesterday.
I have it lodged in my brain ..
I think it’s a Lindsey song, maybe about touring without Stevie.

DownOnRodeo 06-06-2023 11:11 PM

Ok, the more I listen to it, the lyrics do sound like Lindsey's.:o

Don't you know
you can find
peace of mind
On your own.

Just with very funky phrasing.