The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Over My Head (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=60114)

dougl 10-17-2023 06:04 PM

Over My Head

Waddy introducing a nice cover here…

https://youtu.be/O17BiAhbf-Y?si=pnYMVziEvO2o2_hx

SteveMacD 10-17-2023 10:38 PM

Waddy was the more obvious replacement for Bob. Obviously, it worked out for everyone, but Waddy was much more in line with the prior Fleetwood Mac guitarist.

aleuzzi 10-17-2023 10:53 PM

That is a very nice tribute cover. The backing band has faithfully reproduced the original instrumentation. Maureen has a soft, warm alto Christine probably would have liked. She warbles a bit, but her never vibrato is never overdone.

But Christine sang with virtually no vibrato. Her distinctive vocals were reliant almost entirely on tone and phrasing. That "pure, dusky" voice is so difficult for any other singer to equal, let alone surpass.

Her nearest likeness is Dusty Springfield, who was still quite different. Her, Sandy Denny, and maybe Judy Collins. But even alongside these singers, Christine's voice stands apart. It's earthier, homelier, and yet somehow moodier and more mysterious.

jbrownsjr 10-18-2023 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1289098)
That is a very nice tribute cover. The backing band has faithfully reproduced the original instrumentation. Maureen has a soft, warm alto Christine probably would have liked. She warbles a bit, but her never vibrato is never overdone.

But Christine sang with virtually no vibrato. Her distinctive vocals were reliant almost entirely on tone and phrasing. That "pure, dusky" voice is so difficult for any other singer to equal, let alone surpass.

Her nearest likeness is Dusty Springfield, who was still quite different. Her, Sandy Denny, and maybe Judy Collins. But even alongside these singers, Christine's voice stands apart. It's earthier, homelier, and yet somehow moodier and more mysterious.

Her voice was So Sincere, too. My exact thoughts were, "God, it's a nightmare to cover Christine. "

Macfan4life 10-18-2023 12:08 PM

Great cover
The stories Waddy could tell ;)
He was more than just "there".....he plays guitar solo on Sugar Daddy and is credited for it
Someone correct Waddy. Lindsey had another hit called Tusk. And who could forget Oh Diane!!!!!!!

BLY 10-18-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1289113)
Great cover
He was more than just "there".....he plays guitar solo on Sugar Daddy and is credited for it
Someone correct Waddy. Lindsey had another hit called Tusk. And who could forget Oh Diane!!!!!!!

Big Love was a hit!

jbrownsjr 10-18-2023 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1289113)
Great cover

And Big Love

Macfan4life 10-18-2023 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1289117)
And Big Love

That only counts halfway. It was only a hit because Lindsey left the band.

aleuzzi 10-18-2023 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1289118)
That only counts halfway. It was only a hit because Lindsey left the band.

That’s not true. I believe it hit the top ten before he made his announcement. It certainly got full promotion before he did so.

Macfan4life 10-19-2023 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1289127)
That’s not true. I believe it hit the top ten before he made his announcement. It certainly got full promotion before he did so.

That's an inside joke that I would have imagined you would have gotten since you have been around here for awhile. There is a member here (that I love) that claims Tango's biggest hit was caused by the drama of Lindsey leaving the band. I am not trying to reignite that debate but saw an opportunity. Sorry :(

jbrownsjr 10-19-2023 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macfan4life (Post 1289134)
That's an inside joke that I would have imagined you would have gotten since you have been around here for awhile. There is a member here (that I love) that claims Tango's biggest hit was caused by the drama of Lindsey leaving the band. I am not trying to reignite that debate but saw an opportunity. Sorry :(

That will never stop bothering you. :laugh:

SteveMacD 10-19-2023 07:58 AM

Nuance is lost on some people. :rolleyes:

Macfan4life 10-19-2023 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrownsjr (Post 1289137)
That will never stop bothering you. :laugh:

It does not bother me at all. I find it very entertaining to this day. It fascinates me which is why I cant forget it. But my jokes are light hearted and sometimes he is the only one that gets them.
We are like Fleetwood Mac members when our writings about other members in a subtle ways provide an enjoyable read. Just like bwboy went after me for calling Stevie's house a drug den :) That's entertainment!

Villavic 10-19-2023 11:26 AM

Big Love reached the top ten list in several countries. To achieve that, the song needed not only the fans but the masses in general (it needed single sales and radio airplay; nowadays the songs need downloads and streaming, too).

Back in 1987, I wonder how much did the masses find out about Lindsey's departure during the song momentum in radios. There was no internet, social networks. Yes the DJs may have commented about it, and it sure mattered to fans, but did it matter enough to the masses? Did they learn about all the story behind Lindsey departure? I'm not so sure about it.

Macfan4life 10-19-2023 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villavic (Post 1289145)
Big Love reached the top ten list in several countries. To achieve that, the song needed not only the fans but the masses in general (it needed single sales and radio airplay; nowadays the songs need downloads and streaming, too).

Back in 1987, I wonder how much did the masses find out about Lindsey's departure during the song momentum in radios. There was no internet, social networks. Yes the DJs may have commented about it, and it sure mattered to fans, but did it matter enough to the masses? Did they learn about all the story behind Lindsey departure? I'm not so sure about it.

Please
Let's not go there (again)

It was a simple joke line that was not meant to start this debate again