The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Peter Green (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Early inspiration Freddy King to be inducted into R'nR HOF (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=49309)

BklynBlue 12-07-2011 10:39 PM

Early inspiration Freddy King to be inducted into R'nR HOF

Among the inductees to the the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame this year is Freddy King - how cool would it be to have John Mayall with John McVie and Mick Fleetwood (it would be easier to stay with one drummer, rather than try and recreate the original line-up for each guitarist) backing Clapton, Green and Mick Taylor -
Clapton could start it off with 'Hide Away'
Then Green would step up to perform 'The Stumble'
and Taylor could play 'Driving Sideways'

For an encore, the three could trade leads on 'San-Ho-Zay' -

Three musicians inspired by King who went on to inspire generations with their own sounds

I know it would never happen, but it is fun to think about -

Although I am not as big a fan of his as I am of the other three, it only seems fair to mention their contemporary, Stan Webb, of Chicken Shack who also covered many of King's numbers, including three on Chicken Shack's debut LP, 'Lonesome Whistle Blues', 'San-Ho-Zay' and 'See See Rider'. Webb also came closest to duplicating King's sound - though I do not believe the others were trying to.

dansven 12-08-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BklynBlue (Post 1030654)
...how cool would it be to have John Mayall with John McVie and Mick Fleetwood (it would be easier to stay with one drummer, rather than try and recreate the original line-up for each guitarist) backing Clapton, Green and Mick Taylor -
Clapton could start it off with 'Hide Away'
Then Green would step up to perform 'The Stumble'
and Taylor could play 'Driving Sideways'

For an encore, the three could trade leads on 'San-Ho-Zay'

How cool? VERY COOL:nod:

chiliD 12-08-2011 11:59 AM

A couple of Freddie King related things:

Speaking of ex-Bluesbreakers AND Fleetwood Mac guitarists, the last time I saw Rick Vito in concert, he opened his set with "San-Ho-Zay". :thumbsup:

A couple of months ago, I saw Leon Russell at a small club in northern San Diego County...his guitarist (Chris Simmons...who if anyone is a blues afficianado should check out....he's REALLY good) was playing Freddie King's old red Gibson ES-345 (which Freddie is pictured with on his Gettin' Ready album cover) which Freddie had given to Leon just before his passing.

That A Hard Road album recording of "The Stumble", to my ears, is about as close as Peter Green ever got to sounding just like Eric Clapton.

dansven 12-08-2011 12:07 PM

Isn't "Same Old Blues" from Kolors a Freddie King song?

Wouter Vuijk 12-08-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansven (Post 1030709)
Isn't "Same Old Blues" from Kolors a Freddie King song?

Yes it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YlwLT5ZT4
Amazing that Peters guitar sounds quite similar to Freddies guitar (at 2:10). I don´t believe Freddie had his pick-ups modified....
:)

doodyhead 12-09-2011 01:36 AM

the les paul

another side note about Freddie or Feddy King (same guy two spellings on different labels):

Eric Clapton bought a (1959)Les Paul because he saw the white one that was on the cover of a recent Freddie(y) king Album. As we know, this started a chain reaction in the British blues scene. If Freddie was playing a bagpipes, who knows what that would have resulted in
I can imagine Peter reversing the bladder to get his sound.

8^)

PS: I was lucky , and old enough to see freddy king on several occasions. What a monster player live.!!!

sharksfan2000 12-09-2011 10:33 AM

Freddie King usually seems to get the least respect of the three blues Kings, but in many ways he's my favorite. I like his blend of Texas and Chicago styles. Thanks for the heads-up on his induction into the R'n'R HoF, BklynBlue - I'd missed that news.

I should mention the recent passing last weekend of another one of Peter Green's influences, Hubert Sumlin. Like Freddie King, you can hear his influence on many British (and American) blues guitarists of the '60s. I just read this morning that the Rolling Stones are paying for Hubert Sumlin's funeral expenses - a nice tribute from a band whose early sound seemed to be based so much on that of Howlin' Wolf's band.

aleuzzi 12-09-2011 12:28 PM

Get Christine up there on piano and vocals and Stan Webb (away from microphone) and that'd make a great Freddie King tribute.

Or just cut out the middle man (Webb) and put Green and Kirwan in there with Christine.

Of course this is all fantasy. Kirwan and Christine McVie are about as likely to jump on stage as Green is to grow his hair back.

Wouter Vuijk 12-09-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodyhead (Post 1030802)
If Freddie was playing a bagpipes, who knows what that would have resulted in.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

sharksfan2000 12-09-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodyhead (Post 1030802)
If Freddie was playing a bagpipes, who knows what that would have resulted in

Probably rock 'n roll's best-known bagpipe solo here - not bad, though I think Freddie might have done it a little differently :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxP9fOMLE_8

doodyhead 12-17-2011 09:27 PM

freddy's les paul

2 Attachment(s)
the guitar that launched more than a few careers

David 01-02-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleuzzi (Post 1030854)
Get Christine up there on piano and vocals and Stan Webb (away from microphone) and that'd make a great Freddie King tribute.

There's a book of piano/keyboard arrangements of blues styles that transcribes a couple of the Sonny Thompson recordings with Freddie. You should seek it out--Thompson, of course, had a piano & arrangement style that left rather a big mark on how McVie creates her piano parts. The book was published by Warner.