The Ledge

The Ledge (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php)
-   Christine McVie (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "Why" re-edited (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=27411)

Johnny Stew 06-18-2006 04:04 PM

"Why" re-edited

A while back, I put together a compilation of Fleetwood Mac's post-Green/pre-Buckingham & Nicks singles, along with some of my favorite album tracks.
I wanted to include benchmark songs like "Future Games," "Woman Of A Thousand Years" and "Sands Of Time," but the length of the tracks was limiting the amount of songs I could include... so I used Audacity to prune the tracks a little. I tried to remain true to the "vibe" of the original songs, mainly just editing down long instrumental passages, but also, in some instances, editing repeated verses or choruses.

Anyway... I also decided to edit the long instrumental opening to "Why". But as I working on it, I decided to try something... I always thought the coda should have been longer (similar to the live versions), so I worked on lengthening it a bit.

Now that I have a high-speed connection, I figured I'd post it in case anyone was interested in hearing it. I can also post the edits for the other songs too, if anyone wants them.

Let me know what you think -- love it or hate it.

"Why" (edit)

goldustsongbird 06-18-2006 04:10 PM

:thumbsup: Sounds really nice! Sometimes I'll skip over the guitar intro if I'm in an impatient mood and need to hear Chris, but I like the guitar work in this song.

David 06-18-2006 04:32 PM

Thanks, Stewy! I'll listen to it when I am done downloading this "Coriolan"!

Dr.Brown 06-18-2006 06:22 PM

Hi all,

Long-time lurker here. I've just never gotten around to posting on this forum as I hate to hit & run.

Posting on boards can be so addictive and I am way overextended already so I've resisted the temptation but Why is my all-time favorite Mac song and I'm very protective of this composition.

Enough about me, my 2 cents:
The end is very well done but the atmosphere just isn't the same without that bluesy intro. How about an extended version?

Johnny Stew 06-18-2006 08:33 PM

I'm glad you came out of lurkerdom, Dr. Brown (even if only briefly), and I'm happy to oblige your request. Enjoy!

EDIT: Oops, I goofed and uploaded one of my "work in progress" files. So if anyone already downloaded it, please delete the first file and download this one in its place. :o

"Why" (extended)

Dr.Brown 06-19-2006 12:11 AM

:blob2: Perfection!

Stewey, thanks for the great work on the extended version.

I'm sure this song will be on the setlist in that great rock concert in the sky. :angel:

Doc Brown

HomerMcvie 06-19-2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Brown
Hi all,

Long-time lurker here.

It's nice to see you posting! I've seen your name on the current users list MANY times in the middle of the (my) night. I always wondered why you never posted.:confused:

Why is the greatest FM song!

macfan 57 06-19-2006 06:01 AM

Johnny Stew, it's beautiful!:thumbsup: It did make me a little nervous when I saw the title of this thread, but you added to the song. I love the guitar intro. The song is perfect from the first note to the last note. I think it's the best thing Fleetwood Mac ever did.

And, Johnny Stew it's nice to hear that you finally have a high speed internet connection. As someone else who also finally just got a broadband connection, isn't it great?:)

Gailh 06-19-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macfan 57
As someone else who also finally just got a broadband connection, isn't it great?:)

I've had broadband since January and I was surprised at the difference.

Unfortunately I have been downloading all sorts of crap simply because I can!

dontcha just love itunes?

Gail

macfan 57 06-19-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gailh

dontcha just love itunes?

Gail

You're not kidding. A few years ago, I downloaded Brian Wilson's Smile from iTunes. This was when I was on dial-up. It took me over 4 hours to download it. I just recently(while on DSL) downloaded 2 Paul Simon albums & it took me less than 20 minutes to download both of them!!

Johnny Stew 06-19-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

it's beautiful!:thumbsup:

I'm so glad you liked it! :xoxo:

I also extended the ending to "Who's Dreaming This Dream"... anyone interested?

Quote:

it's nice to hear that you finally have a high speed internet connection. As someone else who also finally just got a broadband connection, isn't it great?:)

It's out of this world! I can't get over how quickly I can download things now. Plus, I've been watching movie trailers, videos on YouTube, and episodes of old TV shows (on in2TV)... all of the things that were futile endeavors while I was on dial-up.

DavidMn 06-19-2006 02:20 PM

To this day, Why remains in my opinion one of the 10 best songs Fleetwood Mac had ever done.:nod:

macfan 57 06-19-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I also extended the ending to "Who's Dreaming This Dream"... anyone interested?

I'd like to hear "Who's Dreaming This Dream".:)