View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Ledgie

Default Reply to Seteca

[[Originally posted by clooney
No, I think Tango in the Night, Go Your Own Way, Book of Love, and Countdown are all much better electric solos than ANYTHING Van Halen or Eric Clapton have ever done. Both because of the fingerpicking style and also because of their construction and listening pleasure. I don't hear similar sound pleasure in solos by VH, EC or even Stevie Ray Vaughn.]]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Originally posted by Seteca
You mention 3 things here:
1) "Fingerpicking style": How is this relevant to these 4 songs? They can easily be played by any half-decent guitarist using a pick.
2) "Construction": I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you think those solos are more technically advanced than "Crossroads" or "Eruption", then I'm extremely surprised, but it's all a matter of opinion of course.
3) "Listening pleasure". Absolutely agree with you on this. LB's solos speak to me and move me emotionally more than anyone else's. He's my favourite guitarist and my favourite musician. However, my previous post was strictly about technical proficiency of electric solos only. I specifically said, "not emotionally."
I just can't understand how LB can be compared to Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen. These people's styles could not possibly be any more different.
Incidently, yesterday I was looking through some of these "best guitarists" lists via Google and the only list I could find which had Lindsey Buckingham in it had "NGBA" noted as his best guitar work, which I completely agree with.]

Thanks for your reply; sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

I understand what you are saying and I agree about their different styles. I guess what I was referring to I should have better described as opinion or ear candy listening pleasure. The solos I have heard by Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, and Stevie Ray Vaughn, at least to my ears, are not that appealing. Therefore I have never been caught up in their music. (Although, thank you for mentioning Crossroads and Eruption, I'll give those a listen.)
It just appears to me as though when someone hears Countdown or Book of Love for the first time, they say "Wow, those are not only nice and melodic, but also rocking solos." Then they watch Lindsey play them without a pick and then they are blown away!!! At least that has been my experience when I introduce friends to Lindsey's music.
I can understand how what I said could be construed as making statements based on emotion. That wasn't what I meant; sorry about that.

Thanks for the tips and I'll see ya on The Ledge.
Chris