View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what parts do you not believe? Peter Green wanting to give all the money to charity? His mental health problems and the subsequent hard times he suffered before returning to a better place in the mid-90s? Jeremy Spencer's sudden "disappearance" from the band and turning to the Children of God? Danny Kirwan's "breakdown" and the problems that he later had (and presumably still has)? Bob Welch's suicide? Because I was under the impression that all of those events are generally accepted as having really happened.

Or is it just the notion of a "curse" that you take umbrage with? If so, I'll give you that. Sure, it's some strong verbiage, but given the history of FM guitarists, I don't think it's it all crazy to create the "curse" narrative.
The things you mention above are pretty well accepted as fact (with the exception of Peter Green wanting to give all the band's money to charity). But a number of the details given in the article are clearly bull. Peter Green never "fell into destitution" - he always had plenty of royalty money coming in, and he took menial jobs because he wanted to, not because he needed to. Sure, over the years he gave away plenty of his money to various causes (including to his family) but nothing I've ever read suggests that he ever came close to giving all his money away at any point. And "police surrounded his house" - again, that's complete fabrication from everything I've read about his mid-'70s arrest. I could go on, but you need to do your homework before you claim that "I don't see anything in this article that is exaggerated, or that I would consider a "lie." Everything in the article is, I believe, generally accepted among fans as being true."

And as far as a "curse"...whatever. The author is obviously trying to be sensationalist in this article so he can call it whatever he likes. But you don't have to believe everything you read.