View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I'm intrigued by your comment about two "Oh Well"s...
One of the things that surprised me about "Then Play On" in subsequent years...1) a lot of the solos I attributed to Peter Green were actually Danny Kirwan. For example, all the solos on "Oh Well" are Danny; Peter just plays the opening riff and all of Part 2 (the classical part); and the aggressive solos on the two "Madges" are Danny; Peter plays the subdued riffs...and, B) even though it's considered "Oh Well, Part TWO", it was actually recorded BEFORE "Part ONE".
You're right Kirwan does the solos on Oh Well while Green plays the rhythm underneath. You are definitely wrong about the Madge jams though. Green plays the flowing, endless solos and Kirwan plays the staccato lines. All you have to do is listen to the Boston Rattlesnake Shake medley (in stereo) to know this, even if you can't tell by their phrasing. Or better yet watch the video of them jamming it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0SglPDyhZU

Yeah, I know this is an OLD thread, but I am always seeing people attribute Green's solos to Kirwan.