View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah it's always Chris's songs that I like the best on the Welch period stuff. Morning Rain, Just Crazy Love, Why, Come A Little Bit Closer, etc. After hearing her older stuff it makes you wonder if she was past her peak by the time they had some commercial success. Or maybe I'm just completely sick and tired of "Don't Stop."

I think that's why I like "Temporary One" from the Dance so much. It's really in the vein of her older stuff and could have fit in well with any of those older albums.

And yeah, Dave Walker's tunes are kind of out of place, but they aren't BAD. I was thinking they were going to be these real god-awful songs, and while nothing spectacular they aren't harsh on the ears or anything. He's really creepy looking!

Penguin just seems to be one of those albums, it's pleasant to listen to but there's nothing on it that's really spectacular. It's good music to barbeque and have a couple beers to.

And I agree that "She's Changing Me" is great, and one of the best on the album. And I love the chaotic nonsense of "Coming Home." I didn't even realize there was singing on it until I heard it the third time!

When I brought these home my dad was like "Holy ****, i forgot all about Penguin! There's some good ones on here." He was one of those people that followed the Welch era as that stuff came out and actually has two vinyl copies of Mystery To Me.
Yet his copy of Tusk he bought when it came out and it's in mint condition. He hates it! I brought that home and he said "Oh you're gonna regret that purchase." Yet he got all sentimental over Penguin. Interesting.