View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the past few months, I have been obsessed with Madonna. I've always been a big fan - so it's not as if I am discovering her music. I've been buying her catalogue on vinyl, buying maxi-singles I missed, buying posters - listening to Madonna and pretty much *nothing* else.

I believe that the music we find appealing, at any given moment in time, is usually a reflection of something internal. I have devoted so much time to darker themes, lovelorn songs, listless music, heartbroken and sorrowful expressions. But not right now - the last thing I want to hear is a sad song. What I haven't figured out is why, all the sudden, I'm in full-on Madonna mania. I keep thinking I'll get over it, but I haven't. I've been playing Confessions On A Dance Floor, Hard Candy, Ray Of Light, Music, even MDNA - over and over. And over. And dancing. I can't stop dancing to Madonna. I really feel like right now, the very best thing for me to do would be to quit my job, run away from home, and listen to Madonna all day and all night while dancing in a dark sparkly nightclub.

Since my obsession began a few months back, she has appeared on TV with Macklemore at the Grammy's, launched her Art For Freedom project, dueted with Miley Cyrus, allowed rumours of a new album to leak, will be on stage with Pussy Riot in Brooklyn, and shown up on SNL. It's almost like my recent devotion is fueling her. I'm joking really.

Anyway, I'm listening to this song, from Confessions On A Dance Floor, one of my favorite tracks from a perfect album.

I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case