View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If anyone wants to just read the Christine related part of this post, skip down about 6 paragraphs. I wouldn't blame you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I'm always tactful towards people I respect. Onetrackminded chiffons may get me out of that mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
You know? Basicly I 'm a Fleetwood Mac fan. I've become a Lindsey fanatic over here. Not because of Lindsey solely, but in the core because of critiqueless, Stevie-addicts. Which I was myself when I was a 12-18 year old. Here. I said it.
Individually, Stevie & Lindsey were always my two favorites. Stevie the main favorite (having been the one to first catch my attention), with Lindsey a close second. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've defended Lindsey's music to people over the past 25 years -- extolling his virtues, bragging about his talents, playing his material to win them over, etc.

But some of the Buckheads on the Ledge have been so condescending, pretentious, and often downright obnoxious over the years, that it's really dimmed my view.
I've said it before -- Lindsey's fans can be every bit as "critiqueless" and defensive as Stevie's fans, but there's this odd notion that, because they're in a comparative minority, that behavior is somehow less objectionable or less intrusive.

Because of that, I'm more critical of Lindsey's work and have a far less fawning view of him than I did years ago.

Trust me, I don't associate with the biggest moon-calves amongst Stevie's fans. I don't relate to them, and sometimes wonder if they're living on a different planet. But I'm not ashamed to be a Stevie Nicks fan, and I'm not embarrassed to speak up when I think there's another way to view her decisions or behaviors. Admittedly, I'm quick to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I think there are a lot of folks here, who -- if they're being honest with themselves -- are just as quick to find ways to disparage her.

Gerald... I've typically enjoyed debating with you over the years. We don't often see eye to eye, but that's what makes the conversations so interesting. At least to me. It's a shame that you see my side of the discussions as nothing more than the rantings of a "critiqueless Chiffonhead" who doesn't deserve respect. But such is life.

Anyway, I've hi-jacked this thread/babbled long enough. But, since the door was opened, I thought I'd get that off of my chest.

---------------------

This is the question I submitted to Christine. I originally wanted to ask about "Nights in Estoril," but since it's so obviously about Eddy Quintela, I wasn't sure how comfortable Christine would be with talking about it. Of course, it would be my luck that the song I did ask about, is also about Eddy!

Hello Christine! It's wonderful to have you back in Fleetwood Mac. You've been greatly missed.
My question is about one of my all-time favorite songs -- "The Smile I Live For." It's a forgotten gem in your catalog, and I'd love to know more about its origins, who inspired it, etc. Additionally, do you have any memories that stand out from when it was being recorded?

Thank you!
Brian,
Pittsburgh, PA