Thread: The Gay Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Stereotypes always have a little bit of truth in them.

I prefer to celebrate them (the ones that aren't vile and disgusting) as an antidote to shame, that is still much more pervasive in our community than it should be.

I've never seen Looking. I recently re-watched QAF and was struck by how dated it seemed, and it's been off the air less than a decade. Nearly as dated as The Boys in the Band, although there are aspects of both that are still relevant.
I had a friend come and stay with me for a week this month, I hadn't seen him in at about 8 months, and he's definitely internalised a lot of stereotype-shame since the last time I saw him. He works out obsessively, hates his "gay voice", has become obsessed with "social standing" and getting ahead at work, and is just visibly uncomfortable with himself which has led him to become bitter. It's all very incongruous with the sweeter-than-sweet nice-to-everybody super-relaxed guy I used to know, although that guy's still in the mix. Just a bit sad to see. It's like he's going through a second adolescence in his late 20s, now that he has a disposable income and a place of his own and so can be a more "active" gay guy for the first time. I wonder how common that is among our folk.

See Looking, markolas. I found it wonderful.

And yes, QAF has certainly not aged well, but is still "important" in its way.

Last edited by Dex; 07-06-2014 at 12:22 PM..