View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
LazyPoker,
Well, as Alice once said, “Curiouser and curiouser…” as with so many things related to the Green era Fleetwood Mac, it seems we have once again fallen down a rabbit hole –

All the clips that I have been able to find on YouTube do, as you say, feature the Boston Tea Party audio – this includes, the one used on “The Early Years” compilation released by Castle Communications – you can see the compilation in full here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT_Sf-ARrBY (‘Oh Well’ begins around 40:55)

However, (there is always a however with these things, isn’t there…) I have a version on DVD which I received in a trade long ago on which the backing track is the original studio recording – the video is identical accept that it runs just a little bit longer after the number has stopped, and you hear the opening of “Pt. 2”.

It is my belief (your mileage my vary and I am very interested in what other people may think) that when the show was originally broadcast, it was done to the studio recording – again, the show was taped before the Boston Tea Party shows – when Castle Communications put together their compilation, they substituted the Tea Party recording because the Warner Brothers legal department told them they could not use the original song – another reason they dropped the “performance” of ‘Rattlesnake Shake’ from that show.
. . . so we happily sorted this one out - thanxalot, bklynblue, for enlightenment! of course, i have a copy of the "early years", but i never saw this very same footage with the studio version audio, which is, as you say, nowhere to be found on the net. so, hopefully it's easy to understand my initial confusion on this matter. but now (on the grounds of the legal background info, to boot) i can see your point.
on to the next mystery . . .