View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
During the Tusk tour, we mainly saw Lindsey in either the grey suit with a black tee, jeans with a white shirt and cowboy hat, and white suit with black tee or black suit with black tee. Hairwise, Stevie had the Tusk bun, poodle frizz, or braids, sometimes up, sometimes down. I was wondering, did their looks change for each show throughout the tour or was it more, say, grey suit at the beginning, cowboy hat at the end, etc? There are some pics of Stevie that are clearly 1980 rather than 1979 (actually, it surprises me just how much her looks changed in that one year, although I can't put my finger on just what it was that made her look so different), but in some of them she has the GYOW hat on, so I can't see her hair.

Any one know?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Lindsey's Camp Beverly Hills T-shirt and jeans were only worn at the last two shows (Los Angeles). So call that "costume" a one-up, if you will, not regular tour attire.

By the end of the tour, Stevie's hair had different "body" to it. It didn't look like a poodle; it looked like a permanent permanent. The curls were softer, more like ringlets. See the photos of her at the Bowl, backstage at the Bowl with Bonnie Raitt, or a month later at the USC-Arizona State football game. From tour start to tour finish, Christine seemed to put more and more makeup on. By September, she had almost as much makeup as she wore on the 1982 tour. She also wore clothes—big capes and robes—that Margi designed. It was like having two Stevie Nicks witches onstage during numbers like "World Turning" and "Sara."

Better than all of that, of course, was that by August and September 1980, the band's musicianship—its collective ability to be in the pocket and sustain it for two hours—was the best it has ever been. Today's performances are a pale shadow: the bombast fools people into thinking that there's something special instrumentally going on, but there is not. Mick, for example, is often being led by Lindsey, Brett, and John in a way he never would have allowed or required in 1980. Perceptive critics called him "the anchor" that year for a good reason. Today, you can literally hear Mick "check" his tempo against the cacophony around him many times throughout the show. He adjusts in response.

Musicianship combines inventiveness, experience, and physical stamina. In mid-1980, the Macsters were all still young enough to have physical stamina—hand-eye (psychomotor) coordination and endurance. And after a ten-month tour, the brain didn't even need to fire an order to the musculature—the muscles just triggered seemingly automatically. Onstage at the Bowl, everybody's muscles were communicating on a level below language. There's no tighter jamming this configuration ever did than "Not That Funny" on August 31, 1980.

moviekinks.blogspot.com