View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've followed the hype but believe it or not, as someone who saw the original three in theaters back in the day I'm going to pass on seeing this for now. It hasn't excited me in the least, which is the same as for the prequels. It seems more like a watered down tacking on of something again. I'm sure kids will like it but really, a year from now will they still be thinking about it which you could definitely see was the case for the original (it was still in theaters)? So many things are franchises and reruns today and what was so exciting about Star Wars back in 1977 is that it was a huge NEW universe. I don't think people are getting that anymore and are really missing out. I did eventually see the first Abrams Star Trek movie and enjoyed it okay, it was clever, but I think this Star Wars is probably more like that, a re-launch which I'll either get the DVD of (depending on quality of extras) or watch on demand eventually and skip the big tv room stinking of popcorn breath with people coming and going and texting and stuff. I put my ticket money into seeing Trumbo instead.

Another difference is that today there is massive hype and very few things can live up to that. The original didn't need it, it was like the 1933 King Kong (and who cares about the remakes of that?), word of mouth.

Last edited by becca; 12-19-2015 at 12:28 AM..