View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
I don't know if Heart was necessarily "dead". Both the two previous albums before 1985's Heart album reached the top 40 despite bad reviews and often are considered flops. Someone plz correct me but I think I remember from their autobiography that they decided to leave Epic for Capitol. Any which way it was Capitol who insisted on recorded outside material. These Dreams is a brilliant track and Nancy sings it perfectly. I don't think Stevie would have done this track justice but that's just my opiion.
Passionworks is a great Heart album (I have the CD) but it was a commercial failure. This is when Heart sort of let record executives take over with giving them songs to sing, giving them a certain 80's Vixen look, etc. It worked. Heart (album) went to #1 and so did These Dreams. I saw an interview with Ann a few years back and they have so much regret. So many of their songs and hits in the 80's and 90's were not their songs. They were really pressured into playing them. They felt they sold out. I think Allies and How can I refuse are 2 of Heart's best songs and ironically they both are on Passionworks. But after that album's release Epic did not have faith in the band. The band blamed Epic for its commercial failure for not promoting the album enough.
But back to point - I have always believed there is a misconception about Stevie's writing by people who are not really fans or maybe casual fans. They believe Stevie writes fairy tales. Her writing is anything but made up happy fairy tales. But this stereotype exists. Her writings are truthful experiences by her or someone close to her. I can completely see why she would pass on These Dreams. My preference is not to hear her sing those bubble gum songs but I do understand there is a fan base for that.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-26-2017 at 10:20 AM..