View Single Post
Old 06-14-2022, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Benmont Tench said something very similar... he said with the Hearbreakers he saw a lot of coke, but when he worked/toured with Stevie he was totally gobsmacked at just how much more coke was around than he'd ever seen before.

What has always irritated the crap out of me has been how much she didn't take care of her talent-- her voice, her writing skill, her creativity. You are so right that she didn't make quality a priority at all.
I have a quote from Christine (1984) in my signature line. Many rock stars had drug problems but they still were able to maintain some sort of normalcy in their career. Stevie developed her own fairy tale world which only enablers were allowed in. This just makes things so much worse because no one says NO. For Jimmy to walk out after about a year of dedication says a lot. I am not a fan of RAL but over the years I have come around to how the record company tried to salvage something after almost of 2 years of insanity. Someone on youtube created the "Mirror Mirror" album on youtube. They put the songs/demos all in order what was supposed to be on the album. Unlike RAL she wrote most or all of the songs. However all you hear is Stevie yelling and sounding incoherent. The songs are not arranged much and if that album was released it would have flopped. Nothing would have been a commercial success. The songs may have been lyrically better than on RAL but nothing memorable. The song Mirror Mirror is actually the best song. But that is what you get when recording music is just an excuse to party your brains out. I can understand the panic in trying to bring some song that actually may get played on the radio. Though he would never admit it, I am sure Jimmy had enough of not taking the process serious, showing up late and just sounding horrible. To quote Stevie herself, why could she not lay off coke and tequila just a few days. If you remember besides the Talk To Me video being delayed, there was no promotion for the album. Stevie phoned in a few interviews but in her state she was kept away from MTV or interviews. Even with re-shot close ups I am surprised Red Rocks was released. You get to see Stevie not wanting to take the stage and running around and Dennis had to grab her arm and almost tell her, you have to go on stage now and stop running around acting crazy.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-14-2022 at 05:35 AM..