View Single Post
Old 07-17-2023, 03:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Hurts So Good was also locked at #2 and spent 16 weeks in the top 10. So in ways it blocked Hold Me's rise. BTW, Hurts So Good still holds the record for most weeks in the top 10.
Hold Me raced up the chart with a bullet and got locked within the top 5 for 2 months. I think it it was released a month earlier it would have easily been a #1 song.
One last statistic: Hold Me finished 1982 as a bigger hit than Dreams did in 1977 (weeks on the chart).
Other songs such as Santana's Smooth have since surpassed Hurts so Good for most weeks in the top 10 (it lodged at least 30), although it's important to keep in mind that Billboard has changed its methodology since 1982 for calculating chart peaks (the introduction of streaming is one prime example of this). In general, songs tend to spend a much longer time on the charts now compared to the 1980s. songs tend to last a lot longer in the top 10 now than the 1980s. For example, Sisters of the Moon peaked at #86 in 1980, notching only three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100. Fast forward to 2003, and Peacekeeper lodged 11 weeks in the Hot 100 despite only peaking 6 positions higher than Sisters of the Moon.