View Single Post
Old 05-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I dont need convincing this song is brilliant but many of you Straight Back haters do. What a fantastic vocal and Chris and Lindsey's playing around each other really adds some mystery to this song. I love that 2 of Stevie's songs on Mirage had no chorus but damn she could still write a song back in those days. One of them still transformed into a great pop single like Sara did. Chris's playing on this is so dreamy and sets the perfect mood. Chris really providing maximum overdubs vocally on this song too.
Stevie singing about her solo career beginning and her having to go straight back to the Mac.
One of my all time favorite Stevie lines ever is: Fingers find the ivory keys and a song begins to begin like a wolf on the run. IMHO that's just as good as: They clouds never expects it when it rains but the sea changes colors but the sea does not change.
Emily Dickenson never wrote anything remotely as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOeQvzEFD4o

I have always liked the song, especially the full band arrangement with the funky John/Mick groove....but man this version highlights what a totally limited "musician" Stevie is..... the whole song is like one droning, repetitive chord. Again, she could never, ever, ever do a one-woman show. Not only could she not hold up her end of playing her own accompaniment, but the audience would fall over from boredom....

PS: I know this isn't her playing, but what IS being played is what she wrote and brought to the band.... one chord over and over and over which Chris or Lindsey is banging over and over. He said once that many of her songs really should have been credited as co-writes, and this is yet another example. He doesn't just arrange whatever she brings to the band, he adds to it and totally writes the arrangements... And poor Christine has to find ways to noodle around the one note piano-plonking that she gets on Stevie's demos....

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 05-11-2024 at 12:46 PM..