View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I am solely talking about LB constantly saying for like 30 years that he does not want to be a commercial artist or at least that he never wants to release "commercial" work and its always FM or someone else that makes him.
I don't think that's quite what he's said for 30 years. He's been of the mindset for many years that he doesn't want to release commercial work solely for the sake of having it sell well. I think he's pretty aware that commerciality is a selling point to a broader audience, but as compared to the other members of the band, he's less willing to take the music in a totally commercial direction if he'd really like it to sound different.

That whole segment of the documentary was kind of interesting. Mick made a good point. Lindsey's never going to be in a two-bedroom. On the other hand, neither is anybody in the band. I suspect they all have a lot of money and are entirely comfortable. As a band, if they aren't in a position to make some decisions more for the music and less for the business at this point, who is?

I can see where both men were coming from and why they will never quite see eye to eye. I think Lindsey and Mick have been having some form of this same discussion for 25 years and will continue to have it forever, hehe.

I point to piece of evidence #1 :

Rolling Stone, 1982

....To most of this band, chart position and sales figures mean a lot. "The only yardsticks you have are Billboard, Cashbox, and Radio & Records," said John McVie firmly.

"You also have what's in here as a yardstick," said Buckingham, slapping his chest. "You can't let that other stuff be your motivation for making albums." He was adamant; just because Mirage hit number one doesn't make it any more of a success in his book: "No, no, no. Not to me. You've got reviews, you've got other things."

Even so, it doesn't seem that Fleetwood Mac has to worry. Even the expensive, confusing Tusk was a financial success, suggesting that it is possible to challenge pop audiences without losing them if you have the right name and track record. But if you want to shake things up, Buckingham has learned, you've got to be ready to take some abuse.

"Even in the band, I remember getting flak afterward for having done Tusk," he said. "I remember Mick saying, 'I think you went too far.'"

"Well, I think you did," said Fleetwood. "As far as the presentation of your songs, a lot of them never got played on the radio."

"Well, but so what?"

Mick sighed. "Yeah, I know, but..."

"My songs aren't getting played on this album either!"

As John and Christine laughed uproariously, Fleetwood protested. "You know what I meant."

Lindsey forged on. "You can't put the Clash up against Olivia Newton-John and expect the Clash to get the airplay."

"I know, but..." Mick trailed off.

"I know," muttered Lindsey. He then stopped himself short. "My God, what is this - a therapy session?"

John McVie laughed heartily. "Sounds good to me."