View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
So I think it's ridiculous to argue these points, when Lindsey is obviously as interested in selling albums as anyone else in the band is. Whether he wants to admit it or not.
Johnny, for sure Lindsey wants to sell albums. But I don't think it's about the commerciality of the music. It's really more from an artistic ego standpoint. He wants a lot of people to hear his music because he thinks it's worthy from an artistic standpoing. His comments about family and new home notwithstanding, the man has enough money to live comfortably. So it's not like this album had to be a huge commercial success, from that perspective. And so far, it isn't.

The main difference between Lindsey's and Stevie's approach is that he wouldn't push a song for its commercial appeal. But Stevie does, and it was very clear.

Here's the nuance: They both want commercial success. Stevie will give the label what she thinks will be commercial sounding and, presumably, tailor some songs for that purpose. Lindsey wants the commercial success, but he wants it on his own terms.

Now you and I know that commercial success doesn't necessarily happen on your own terms, though it can. But give the man credit for continuing to "push the envelope," as he likes to say.