Thread: Bob Welch
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
The Rock and Roll Hallf of Fame seems to let in just about anybody with even an ounce of credibility as long as they've been around for 25 years plus.
Tell that to the Guess Who. They've had multiple hits from multiple albums. Randy Bachman has written huge hits for two bands (the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive). In fact, Bachman and Burton Cummings were both recently inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame. Yet, they're not in the hall. Another band that probably should be in there is Grand Funk Railroad. Again, multiple hits from multiple albums. So I don't completely agree with that assessment.

I find it odd that Fleetwood Mac were inducted off the heels of a very successful reunion. I believe that had they not done "The Dance," and were still the "Time" band, they would not be in there. And given the band's associations with the Eagles and Santana, and their similarities to the Mamas & the Papas, yeah, I guess I find the class of '98 to be a little suspect. In fact, my HUNCH is that the folks in the Hall had some of the same reservations with the Mamas & the Papas, because they could have been in eight years earlier. Also, the first version of Santana actually formed in 1966, so they would have been eligible seven years earlier. Can you honestly tell me that you don't find it the least bit suspicious that the two most successful groups fronted by both male and female vocalists AND the two bands who list "Black Magic Woman" as a hit were inducted on the same night, when all could have been in YEARS earlier?

As for Bob, again, I don't think Mick was in the same position to demand which members were to be included as was Jerry Garcia (who bless his soul, made the demands AND blew off the ceremony). Even Bob Welch doesn't think it was the fault of anybody in the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins