View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Does anyone love "Underway" as much as I do? Or am I just mistaken in thinking that was his song? Whatever the case, it's one of my all-time favorite FM songs of any era.
"Underway" is one of my favorites as well, but it is since it was extracted from a studio jam (the entire jam is on Vaudeville Years), I don't know that it qualifies as one of Peter's songs.

What really does qualify as one of his songs? People have listed several ("Need Your Love So Bad", "Jumping At Shadows") that he didn't write. My favorite examples of Peter's live work are mostly songs he didn't write, but turned in absolutely stunning performances ("Jumping At Shadows", "Worried Dream", "Got A Mind To Give Up Living"). And several of his songs that the band recorded in the studio are done significantly better, IMHO, on live or BBC session recordings ("Love That Burns", "Lazy Poker Blues", "Rattlesnake Shake", “The World Keep On Turning”, as well as "Need Your Love So Bad").

My favorites of the studio versions of Peter's songs:
Oh Well
The Green Manalishi
Albatross
Man Of The World
I Loved Another Woman
Before The Beginning

Tough to say which is my absolute favorite of these, it can vary from week to week. The powerful lyrics and two-part song structure of "Oh Well" are brilliant (can anyone imagine that Clapton would have conceived of the 2-part arrangement of "Layla" had it not been for "Oh Well"?). And the guitar work at the end of "The Green Manalishi" is so intense it's downright scary. Those two tend to be my favorites of this bunch.