View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Also, I don't care at all for Bob Welch singing Peter Green's song as he did in MK 2.

How do you feel about Danny Kirwan taking over lead vocals on "Black Magic Woman" during the Future Games/Bare Trees era? During that same time, Welch ONLY did "Oh Well"...and those two aforementioned tunes were the only Peter Green tunes in the set at the time. Welch ONLY started singing the rest of the Peter Green material when he was the only male vocalist LEFT in the band in 1974 (even still, "Jumping At Shadows"---albeit, not a Peter Green song, is closely tied to Peter---was sung during that era by Christine McVie..so out of the three tunes perceived as "Peter Green" tunes, they were evenly split between the three vocalists at the time). That whole post-Mystery To Me, pre-Buckingham Nicks era was the time frame that they were trying to hold on to ownership of the band's name due to all the litigation with Clifford Davis....fighting for their very survival as "Fleetwood Mac", so of course they were gonna pack their set with Peter Green tunes.

Peter was less than 4 years gone from the band (about 1/3 of the time between Fleetwood Mac albums these days) their fan-base still expected to hear those songs from "Fleetwood Mac", regardless of personnel (same as how I feel today...I don't care WHO is in the band...if the band's name is "Fleetwood Mac" there are certain expecations as to the material that should be played...and, no, it is NOT the Rumours album in its entirety, either) Back then the band KNEW that they had certain (for lack of a better term) "obligations" to their audience to play the older material, even though the songwriter(s) were no longer in the band.

That is one of the unique things ABOUT Fleetwood Mac; there's really not any other band that has this kind of dilemma, since MOST bands who've had a great turnover in personnel, hasn't had the turnover in songwriters/singers...the main singer/songwriter is usually the only one left.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-24-2005 at 01:46 PM..