View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
A significant number of fans had already deserted ship after the departure of Peter Green (Kiln House may have sold well, but the albums released between 1971-74 initially didn't) so surely Lindsey's "lack of respect" isn't responsible for all of that.
Actually, in the US, they had been increasing their fan base. It was in Europe that their fan base went down after Peter quit. Their albums with Bob Welch tended to sell better in the US than the Peter Green stuff. So, I don't see that many American fans deserted ship.
Quote:
You've seen a few quotes of Lindsey appreciating Then Play On and "Oh Well" throughout the years (a search at BLA finds some of them anyway). Unlike you, I do not see him showing a complete disregard to the past of Fleetwood Mac.
Peter Green is the only other Mac guitarist that Lindsey seems to respect. Well, he has (or at least had) a bit of respect for Dave Mason, but that had nothing at all to do with his Mac work. So, I would it agree that it wasn't a "complete" disregard. He just disregarded everything else.
Quote:
Now considering things like "Hypnotized"; most fans seem to think that Lindsey doesn't sound right doing the song and they consider it Bob Welch's property. I agree with that, and therefore I understand why Lindsey wanted to drop it; he couldn't add anything that was significantly his own to the song, and therefore it's not the same case as with those Dylan/Donovan/Harrison covers, which he totally makes his own, IMO.
Why does Lindsey have to sing "Hypnotized" for the band to do it? Why not Stevie Nicks? I think her voice would have been perfect for the song. Same for "Green Manalishi." Of course, there were the instrumentals. And, when the three of them sang the older songs together (i.e. Station Man, Why, Spare Me A Little), most fans went nuts. The point is that Fleetwood Mac is a brand name, and as such, there are certain songs that we associate with that brand. Just because Lindsey didn't write it doesn't mean Mick and John (and most likely Christine) weren't originally on it, and it's THEIR brand, not Lindsey's. The old Mac songs could be done as legitimately as a Buckingham Nicks song, and to suggest "oh, I hated doing those songs because I felt like I was in a cover band" is total crap.
Quote:
And I'd rather hear an "Oh Well" from 1969-1990 (I haven't unfortunately heard an entire Time tour bootleg) than a lackluster "Oh Well" from 1997-2004, period. If he feels he can't add anything of importance to "Oh Well" anymore, it is his right to leave it in peace.
Hmmm. Again, I disagree. That is a major song associated with the Fleetwood Mac brand. Fans LOVE the song, and always go nuts whenever it's played live. As to what he could add, why not part two? That would completely different for a Fleetwood Mac set and would be, I would think, rewarding for Lindsey as a guitarist.
Quote:
And as to the band dropping "Oh Well" from the setlist, I still don't think Lindsey is all to blame; I think the band has been alienating itself from its past for a long time to come anyway. It plays the songs in its setlist that have always been the most easily negotiable between the members; it takes a lot of concrete to be shifted in order for them to bring an old classic back into play. Rick Vito and Billy Burnette could do it, but then Rick probably joined them on the condition of getting to play some Peter Green-era songs (furthermore, how come I haven't seen you complaining of the 1987-1995 tour line-ups ignoring WELCH-era songs? It's not like they were in bad blood all that time, were they?), after all that is his favourite period of Fleetwood Mac.
I agree. This band loves to cover up the bumps in the road. I love how they go into to great detail about Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, say a few kind words about the Bob Welch years, talk endlessly about "Rumours" (though glossing over almost everything else by THAT variation of Fleetwood Mac), skipping the Billy Burnette years altogether, and finish with the big "I love you, man" reunion/healing crap.

As for the band not doing Peter's stuff these days, I don't know why, but I suspect that they dropped "Oh Well" because Peter Green is/was back recording and touring, and maybe they didn't feel the need to carry on his legacy anymore.

THE Stephen Hopkins