View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Rick and either Dave didn't have songs that were significant to the band's history.
The hell you say, pal. "The Derelict," as I have already said many times, is THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK OF ART ever associated with the band. I'd stake my entire Longinian aesthetic on it.
Quote:
However, the attitude that Lindsey has about feeling like a lounge guitarist whenever he played the old songs seems pretty goofy.
That's because you consider it goofy. I don't consider it goofy. I happen not to share Lindsey's sentiment -- don't forget that I'm in a Fleetwood Mac tribute band, the agenda of which is specifically & entirely to copy Fleetwood Mac material. But not everybody feels that way, & there isn't anything intrinsically wrong with not wanting to play some other guy's songs. Songwriters, especially -- of which I happen not to be one -- are understandably into playing their own material. That's the way it's been at least as far back as the Beatles. Lindsey himself was like that even before he joined Fleetwood Mac: local So Cal agents & bookers told him they'd find him plenty of work if he'd play Top 40 material, & he was totally unenthusiastic about that -- even if it meant another month of Hamburger Helper.

The fact of the matter is that you guys see a sort of nostalgia-laden metaphysical interconnection between all the various incarnations of the Mac -- so do I, but only in a figurative sense. In other words, in practical terms (in terms of individual psychology & preference), "Fleetwood Mac" is a fiction: nothing more than a series of songwriters & singers & musicians that followed or preceded one another in various specific groupings along a certain timeline. But you really take "Chain, keep us together" literally in the sense that you want the metaphysical binding of that "Chain" to apply to pragmatic elements, such as set lists & so forth. To me, that's crying for the moon. It's like extinguishing the fire in the fireplace so that Santa won't get scorched.

Steve, did I ever say how glad I really am that you're posting on this board a lot more? You & I go waaaaaaaaaay back, you ol' son-of-a-gun, you.

moviekinks.blogspot.com