View Single Post
Old 09-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
The biggest mistake Fleetwood Mac made was The Dance...it was the death-knell of the creativity of the band. A move backwards instead of forward. The proof that they couldn't get out from under the Rumours parachute. They should've just called it a day after Tusk. Let Stevie & Lindsey go full time into solo careers in 1980.

Then re-establish Fleetwood Mac from THAT point with a new lineup. (re-enlist Bob Welch, who would bring along Todd Sharp, and add Martha Davis & Marty Jourard)
Why was it a mistake to have 5 very talented people regroup to celebrate their body of work. A step backward? The Dance re-established Fleetwood Mac as a band after the debacle that was Time. Their music was introduced to new and younger fans. Seems like a good idea to me if your a musician. I attended 18 Dance shows and yes the speeches were canned but the music performed was done with a lot of passion. There was a promotional push to bring the band back into the public eye and I see nothing wrong with that. The four new songs by the band were very good, were they big hits, no. But I dont think they were meant to be. If Lindsey and Stevie would have left after Tusk we would'nt have Mirage or Tango. Which I feel are both very good albums.

As far as getting out from under the Rumours parachute the tour consisted of 8 songs from Rumours (it is a monster album for goodness sakes), 5 songs from Fleetwood Mac, 2 songs from Tango, 1 from Mirage, 1 from Tusk, 1 from Live, 1 solo Lindsey, 1 solo Stevie, and 4 new songs. Quite a lot of bang for your buck. Also a couple of million in sales ,3 grammy nominations, a Brit award, consistently sold out shows, R&R hall of fame induction, lots of press does not seem like a step backwards to me.. The tour was not a rehash of Rumours but a way for that lineup to say to the world "we are a great F*****g band aren't we".